TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Narrowing gap in fiberglass door jamb

Default Narrowing gap in fiberglass door jamb

The dimensions of the fiberglass panels of my Lotus Europa have shifted slightly over the past 60 years of poor storage conditions. All old paint and gel coat have been stripped.
    Now to get the doors to fit properly, I want to extend the aft edge of the door 1/4". It seems like using standard plastic filler would not have enough strength. After the repair I will be gel coating and painting the door and body.

Maybe I could feather down the inside and outside door edge and build up it up with short or long strand fiberglass reinforced filler.

Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Trailermann View Post
    The dimensions of the fiberglass panels of my Lotus Europa have shifted slightly over the past 60 years of poor storage conditions. All old paint and gel coat have been stripped.
    Now to get the doors to fit properly, I want to extend the aft edge of the door 1/4". It seems like using standard plastic filler would not have enough strength. After the repair I will be gel coating and painting the door and body.

Maybe I could feather down the inside and outside door edge and build up it up with short or long strand fiberglass reinforced filler.

Any suggestions?
    That's the way to do it. I'd bevel the outside edge using a coarse grit sandpaper like 36 or 40 grit then put some 2" tape on the inside edge so that it extends an inch out then apply some short strand filler pressing it into those scratches. After it hardens remove the tape and block sand it to the shape you want. After you get the gap you want you can finish the leveling with regular body filler and primer.

I would not try to extend the door edge. Instead build out the door jamb where the door edge lines up. The rear edge of the door is subject to abuse that could easily break loose any repairs on that door rear edge. If you build out on the door jamb then you have a strong repair that won't be subject to abuse that a door edge would get.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    I would not try to extend the door edge. Instead build out the door jamb where the door edge lines up. The rear edge of the door is subject to abuse that could easily break loose any repairs on that door rear edge. If you build out on the door jamb then you have a strong repair that won't be subject to abuse that a door edge would get.
    That's a good idea but it could depend on the shape of the jamb. Adding 1/4" of fiberglass to a fiberglass door doesn't mean that it's going to be more delicate if done properly. However if it was a metal door and couldn't be beveled then the extended edge could be more delicate and break off.

i'm not sure what that door edge looks like. if it's thin, like sheet metal would be, it would certainly be prone to damage. if it's reasonably thick, building up the edge could work. i wouldn't use short strand though, i like this product here: https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...-quart--347610
    it's a long strand product with very little filler in it, it's mostly just de-constructed fiberglass mat and resin. it takes a little practice to get it laid out but it sands well enough after it sets.

edit: i just noticed it's no longer available...
    b marler