TheCoatingStore.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will Slicksand fill pinholes in filler?

That Rage Gold is a great product. The size and amount of your pin holes tells me you may not have worked (pressed and smooth) the filler enough and/or you over applied the amount of filler needed in those areas as to not require a second round of filler. For your roofs first coat of filler (with a large field) I would have started by mixing the product directly on the substrate as it gives you a bit more time too work your filler in a large area. Rage Gold is my go to filler and I seldom get any pin holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    That Rage Gold is a great product. The size and amount of your pin holes tells me you may not have worked (pressed and smooth) the filler enough and/or you over applied the amount of filler needed in those areas as to not require a second round of filler. For your roofs first coat of filler (with a large field) I would have started by mixing the product directly on the substrate as it gives you a bit more time too work your filler in a large area. Rage Gold is my go to filler and I seldom get any pin holes.
    mixing on the substrate... why haven't i ever thought of that? it makes so much sense for large batches. by the time your done mixing it's already been applied!
    am i the only one who didn't know this?
    b marler

I never thought of it either. Great tip!

Quote Originally Posted by evintho View Post
    I've never sprayed Slicksand before. I'm wondering if it will fill pinholes and some very minor low spots in my roof panel. Also, are there any tricks to spraying it? I've got the roof section about where I need it to be. Next up will be a coat of epoxy primer followed by Slicksand. I think two medium coats should do it. Thoughts or opinions?

Attachment 31665

Attachment 31666
    Consider Evercoat Optex super build 4:1 spray filler as opposed to Slick Sand for first 2 coats on roof where there is lots of exposed metal. Optex 4:1 is a DTM product which eliminates first coat of epoxy primer (savings and quality).

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/m...tegory_Code=FM

I realize that spraying epoxy over bare metal is a simply personal preference (before applying filler).

I see no reason to apply epoxy primer over an area that is going to have polyester filler applied. That includes "spray bondo" like Slick Sand or Featherfil. As long as the bare metal is prepared properly with nothing finer than 220 grit then there is no reason to apply epoxy primer.

Keep in mind that Slick Sand and Featherfil are polyester based, the exact same material make up as spreadable filler like Evercoat Rage etc. If it's OK to spread filler on bare metal then it's also fine to spray poly primer over bare metal.

Again, spraying epoxy over bare metal before applying filler is a personal judgment call. I know of NO older bodymen who spray epoxy before applying filler. We ALL spread filler over properly prepared bare metal.