TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: Will Slicksand fill pinholes in filler?

  1. #1

    Cool Will Slicksand fill pinholes in filler?

    I've never sprayed Slicksand before. I'm wondering if it will fill pinholes and some very minor low spots in my roof panel. Also, are there any tricks to spraying it? I've got the roof section about where I need it to be. Next up will be a coat of epoxy primer followed by Slicksand. I think two medium coats should do it. Thoughts or opinions?

    bondoroof6.jpg

    bondoroof9.jpg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,135

    Default

    If I find a pinhole I put a 36 grit disc on my die grinder and grind it out. It canít be filled with another coat of body filler because air gets trapped in the pinhole and keeps the filler out. You can grind those areas out and reapply filler. The holes come from air that gets trapped in the filler when you mix the hardener in the wrong way. You can remove air from mixed filler by spreading it on your mixing board with a lot of pressure on the spreader and laying the filler out very thin. Then scrape up that filler in one pass and press it onto the car without folding it or chopping it. If you mix a large batch of filler you wonít have enough time to force the air out of it before it starts hardening. Be careful mixing hardener by scraping the mixing board and spreading it on the board but try not to put furrows in the puddle and then allow filler to cover the furrows and trap air. Once in it takes time to get air out and time is your enemy at this point.

    Bob K

  3. #3

    Default

    I just fill them with a good spot putty.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    45,326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JCCLARK View Post
    I just fill them with a good spot putty.
    That's what we do, just be sure to press it in and swipe it in several directions in order to get the spots filled evenly.

  5. #5

    Cool

    Thanks everyone! Recommend a good spot putty, please.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    45,326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by evintho View Post
    Thanks everyone! Recommend a good spot putty, please.
    You can use a high quality body filler or spot putty like those shown below.


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    olympia,wa
    Posts
    1,711

    Default

    you might think about dolphin glaze for those pinholes. it looks like there's quite a few and dolphin glaze is very thin (runny) i find it fills pinholes pretty well. len might carry it as well.
    but any glaze will need to be worked in well to be sure the air is expelled.
    b marler

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    45,326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    you might think about dolphin glaze for those pinholes. it looks like there's quite a few and dolphin glaze is very thin (runny) i find it fills pinholes pretty well. len might carry it as well.
    but any glaze will need to be worked in well to be sure the air is expelled.
    Here you go....


  9. #9

    Default

    That Dolphin glaze is the best spot putty I've ever used.
    I love that stuff, and the pouch it comes in really keeps it from drying out like
    the other brands do.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    1,102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    you might think about dolphin glaze for those pinholes. it looks like there's quite a few and dolphin glaze is very thin (runny) i find it fills pinholes pretty well. len might carry it as well.
    but any glaze will need to be worked in well to be sure the air is expelled.
    I need to try this, states it has some flexibility which I would think is a good thing. I have been using a product called Icing by USC and is another good product. Great tip bmarler!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    olympia,wa
    Posts
    1,711

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    I need to try this, states it has some flexibility which I would think is a good thing. I have been using a product called Icing by USC and is another good product. Great tip bmarler!
    i use icing too, and yes, it is a great product. i use the dolphin for certain things. if i need to do a large area the dolphin spreads out really well without over working the surface with a spreader. it almost pours on. it can be tough to get it to hang on the side of a car if you apply it too heavy though.
    b marler

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    olympia,wa
    Posts
    1,711

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JCCLARK View Post
    That Dolphin glaze is the best spot putty I've ever used.
    I love that stuff, and the pouch it comes in really keeps it from drying out like
    the other brands do.
    you're right about the pouch, it's awesome. why didn't they think of that a long time ago?
    b marler

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    19,146

    Default Yes sir...

    Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    you're right about the pouch, it's awesome. why didn't they think of that a long time ago?
    That's true and makes one wonder if not thought of while someone was watching someone else "decorate a cake"!

    I use several of UPOL products and find them exceptional. They had a great clear some 20 years back (good, better, best) that our jobber carried and gave out to some of us to try (the best of the three.)

    Gotta tell ya, great stuff and they claimed an anti sag formula. So I tried on an old fender spraying clear as one should NOT and it really held. Took a lot to create a run. This was there 2:1 in a 5 liter container (actually made almost 2 gallons of sprayable clear.) Now they have some lesser stuff of 4:1 that I have not tried so cannot comment on. They do offer some great products.

    Len has this stuff at a great price as well. My supply shop has it for MORE on the shelf! Still great stuff to use!

    Henry

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    lower Michigan
    Posts
    30,621

    Default

    One point that wasn't discussed about pin holes in filler ---- Before I apply a spot putty (polyester spot putty) to fill in pin holes I look at the the pin holes close and in some cases I will use the sharp tip of my pocket knife and dig into the pin hole. Sometimes pinholes can be larger below the surface than they appear. It would be impossible to fill that void without making the visible "hole" larger.

    My experience is usually the cheaper the filler the more pinholes you're going to get.

    There is no definintive right way or wrong to mix bondo (generic term for polyester fillers) as long as it's mixed sufficiently. I use a squeege and the lap method for mixing bondo. I get a more consistent mix that way compared to using a paint stick for mixing filler (like some people use). Using the lap method in my experience does not cause more pinholes in the filler. If you apply the filler correctly then pin holes should be kept to a minimum. It's usually putting too much filler on too fast and not working the air bubbles out is the major cause of pin holes.

  15. #15

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    One point that wasn't discussed about pin holes in filler ---- Before I apply a spot putty (polyester spot putty) to fill in pin holes I look at the the pin holes close and in some cases I will use the sharp tip of my pocket knife and dig into the pin hole. Sometimes pinholes can be larger below the surface than they appear. It would be impossible to fill that void without making the visible "hole" larger.

    My experience is usually the cheaper the filler the more pinholes you're going to get.

    There is no definintive right way or wrong to mix bondo (generic term for polyester fillers) as long as it's mixed sufficiently. I use a squeege and the lap method for mixing bondo. I get a more consistent mix that way compared to using a paint stick for mixing filler (like some people use). Using the lap method in my experience does not cause more pinholes in the filler. If you apply the filler correctly then pin holes should be kept to a minimum. It's usually putting too much filler on too fast and not working the air bubbles out is the major cause of pin holes.
    Good tip on digging out the pinholes! I'm picking up some polyester spot putty today.
    The plastic filler I use is Rage Gold. I use a 4" putty knife to mix using the lap method and spread it on with a standard wide yellow spreader. Maybe I didn't work out the air bubbles as well as I should have. It's been 45 years since I last worked in body shops!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •