TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: should I use my old color coat?

Default should I use my old color coat?

Hey guys. I have reached the end of the prep on my hood, trunk lid, scoop and side mirrors on my 69 Cobra. I took them down to metal then used epoxy primer, then sprayable polyester body filler dry sanded with 180 grit and guide coat and then 2k urethane wet sanded down to 400 grit with guide coat. I had already finished the body about 8 months ago. For the color on the body I used PPG shopline. I still have nearly a gallon of the color left. Can I use this on the hood and trunk lid? Does Shopline stay good for that long (8 months)? I am not concerned about saving money, I just want to ensure color match so I thought it would be better to use the original paint I used on the body but I don't know if it would still be good

Default Hmmmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by rogerpir View Post
    Hey guys. I have reached the end of the prep on my hood, trunk lid, scoop and side mirrors on my 69 Cobra. I took them down to metal then used epoxy primer, then sprayable polyester body filler dry sanded with 180 grit and guide coat and then 2k urethane wet sanded down to 400 grit with guide coat. I had already finished the body about 8 months ago. For the color on the body I used PPG shopline. I still have nearly a gallon of the color left. Can I use this on the hood and trunk lid? Does Shopline stay good for that long (8 months)? I am not concerned about saving money, I just want to ensure color match so I thought it would be better to use the original paint I used on the body but I don't know if it would still be good
    IF it was sealed properly, you should not have problems. Is this a basecoat to be clear coated? Is it SOLID color or metallic?

Before you plan on using it, you might want to tip it upside down and allow some of the mix to move.
    The other thing too is if you bought it locally and are on good terms with the shop, stop by and ask them to shake it in their shaker for you.

Your biggest obstacle for good match will be mixing the old (settled) mix to what it was when you sprayed with it new. Clean the top of the can off and blow out in the crevices around the lid or when you open the can, all that crap will fall in. Open it carefully and slowly and watch for any dry particles wanting to fall IN.

I've been storing paints with top crevices of cans & lids clean, closed tightly then taped with 2" tape and stored upside down so the contents block any possible air infiltration.

Keep us posted.

Henry

Henry is absolutely right, if you can shake it you should be good-to-go. Paint that's been sitting for a long time can be difficult to mix properly by stirring. It may not be worth purchasing a shaker for one job but if you paint from time to time you'll find it's well worth your investment. We shake ALL our paint prior to using it.

those little air powered shakers are worth every penny. i use the crap out of mine, and it's shaken up some extremely heavy cans of paint. you wouldn't believe how heavy the copper based bottom paints are per gallon. pretty sure the stuff i use is around 25 pounds per can and the pneumatic shaker does just fine.
    b marler

I have that exact same shaker, just as Len and bmarler stated it's worth every penny. Hand stirring 1 gallon cans can be a bitch when full, this makes for a great tool for house or car paint, stain, etc.. I've used auto paint that was 3 or 4 years old, that was well sealed after use, with no problems at all. A good shake and double cone filtering. bmarlers comment on copper paint really took me back 20 years ago when doing a bottom job on a 1956 36' Crist Craft boat, duel grey marine engines with Carvel siding I partially restored. That is the weirdest paint I have ever used and the weight of product was a shock when I received it. Best day of my life is when I sold that boat/money pit. I'll never own another wood boat. FYI, if you pick up an air shaker put it on a solid surface where vibration won't throw everything from the bench...ask me how I know this.

Thanks guys! The paint is stock PPG 1969 candy apple red (color code T). No metallic, no bells nor whistles etc.- just a basic Ford red which I topcoat with gloss. On the body I did 3 coats base coat and 3 gloss. You were talking about boats being a money pit-there is a saying that the 2 happiest moments in a boat owners life is when they first buy the boat and when they sell it. I have the formula the PPG guy used in case I needed more. How likely do you think that there would be a color match if I go ahead and have them prepare another gallon?
    Roger

Thanks guys! The paint is stock PPG 1969 candy apple red (color code T). No metallic, no bells nor whistles etc.- just a basic Ford red which I topcoat with gloss. On the body I did 3 coats base coat and 3 gloss. You were talking about boats being a money pit-there is a saying that the 2 happiest moments in a boat owners life is when they first buy the boat and when they sell it. I have the formula the PPG guy used in case I needed more. How likely do you think that there would be a color match if I go ahead and have them prepare another gallon?
    Roger
    Matching the previous color is a crap shoot, sometimes it's good and sometimes it's not. If you have a gallon it should be enough to do the entire car.

Default Hmmmmm....

Roger
    Since it appears from what you said, you can still get to the paint makers. In that case:

I would clean off the top of the can and crevices.

Then open the can and see what mountain of mud you have at the bottom of the can. Might not be too bad.

Then stir with a stick to check it further. Then decide and:

Bring it to the paint shop and ask them to give it a shake and at the same time get a price on another gallon.

I still would check out what you have after shaken and shoot a test piece for match and proceed from there. ( You do have a lot left!)

Henry

with a whole gallon of paint in your possession now, i wouldn't mix any more. in the event that you do, however, the paint code should get you close enough to do a spray out and adjust to fine tune. paint suppliers are usually more than happy to help you and add a little this or that to get the color right.
    i would think though, the gallon you have will finish the car with some touchup in reserve. just move whatever is left to a smaller can and float some inert gas in the can before sealing it up. i've stored paint for years that way,
    b marler

Roger
    If your worried about quantity of paint you can buy a quart for insurance. If you go this route I would have PPG shake up your existing gallon, pour half into a spare container and start intermixing both cans while adding the additional qt., makes for a dead on color match. I wouldn't be the least bit worried of using your full gallon you have on hand. bmarler gives a great tip, shove your mig welding gas nozzle into lid to help preserve your product once opened, I learned this tip from him and it has served me well.
    Last edited by Ronf; 07-15-2021 at 06:40 PM.

Boat, lol. Ya had an 18 footer with a 150 hp on it for a couple of years.
    Break
    Out
    Another
    Thousand

I had fun with it, but could not get the kids into it at the time.
    Building my dream one piece at a time.