TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: 66' true GTO

Default 66' true GTO

Finally got engine finished and stabbed back in my 66' GTO, hopefully will be firing this sweet girl up in a few months (still have to install Painless wiring harness). This is an all original 389 w/3 speed manual, but looking to do a factory tri carb set up and Muncie 220. All the floor pans are now replaced except trunk pan, complete new fuel system from tank to lines to rebuilt carb., just not enough hours in a day. I picked this up 3 or 4 years ago and was garage kept by previous owner for over 20 years. Some SM panels too fabricate/replace but minimal as body is really solid. For those that noticed, yes it has a 67' grill (not my doing) lol. On this model 66' GTO only 10k were produced, ought to be a sweet ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (102.4 KB, 35 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (99.0 KB, 34 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (94.1 KB, 35 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (99.0 KB, 35 views)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    This is an all original 389 w/3 speed manual, but looking to do a factory tri carb set up and Muncie 220.
    Nice project Ron, Iím sure Henry appreciates this í66.

Hell yes, the old M22 rock crusher!

Back in my hotrod days I mostly ran SBC with an M21 since they were a dime a dozen back then.

Good luck with your quest finding the M22, definitely the beefy set-up for back then.

nice! i love early gto's. i ran one of those m22's in my old '67 camaro ss/rs 396. that was a hoot for sure. that's one i should have never let go of. i had a '69 gto back in the day too, that dark blue with a black vinyl top. not sure what four speed was in it from the factory, but didn't seem close ratio like the m22. i once thought about compiling a list of all the great cars i've had over the years, but it got kinda depressing to think about all the amazing cars i let go.
    can't wait to see how this gto turns out, it's gonna be good!
    b marler

Marler,

Vin tag shows this was originally the Aztec Gold inside and out. I'm not a fan of Aztec Gold (especially for interior) so this one is going back triple black. I had your same set up in my 67' Chevelle SS 396 as your Camaro back in the day, what a screamer and great car.
    Last edited by Ronf; 07-14-2021 at 02:44 PM.

Marler,

Vin tag shows this was originally the Aztec Gold inside and out. I not a fan of Aztec Gold (especially for interior) so this one is going back triple black. I had your same set up in my 67' Chevelle SS 396 as your Camaro back in the day, what a screamer and great car.
    triple black, good choice. my other favorite would be a midnight blue/black. i love the darkest midnight blue on certain cars. never been a fan of gold either. thanks for starting a thread on it, we'll be watching.
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    triple black, good choice. my other favorite would be a midnight blue/black. i love the darkest midnight blue on certain cars. never been a fan of gold either. thanks for starting a thread on it, we'll be watching.
    bmarler,

I understand what you feel, "i once thought about compiling a list of all the great cars i've had over the years, but it got kinda depressing to think about all the amazing cars i let go" however you have to admit that we were blessed to be living and involved in the era of classic MUSCLE cars. Even though we didn't know at the time what we were involved in, I wouldn't sell that experience for any amount of money. Now we try and replicate those memories as best we can by restoring and driving these classic muscle beauties, but it will never be the same. Like you have always done, keep passing on your experience, knowledge and enthusiasm to the younger generation of hot rodders to pick up where we leave off as too keep these old rusted irons out of the scrap yard.

Funny you mentioned the midnight blue/black tones. I can remember back in the mid to late 80's doing a 2 stage black on a 55' Chevy gasser in which I shot the bc black and first 2 coats of clear with a small amount of dark blue tinter (I was going for that walk into the paint look), I got this idea from a 70's Hot Rod magazine article. How many painters can remember the day of toners coming in a powder form in those 1/8 or 1/4 ounce plastic square tubes, wow? I followed this by 3 or 4 more coats of clear. Who would have thought that today this is known as a tricoat paint job.

bmarler,

I understand what you feel, "i once thought about compiling a list of all the great cars i've had over the years, but it got kinda depressing to think about all the amazing cars i let go" however you have to admit that we were blessed to be living and involved in the era of classic MUSCLE cars. Even though we didn't know at the time what we were involved in, I wouldn't sell that experience for any amount of money. Now we try and replicate those memories as best we can by restoring and driving these classic muscle beauties, but it will never be the same. Like you have always done, keep passing on your experience, knowledge and enthusiasm to the younger generation of hot rodders to pick up where we leave off as too keep these old rusted irons out of the scrap yard.

Funny you mentioned the midnight blue/black tones. I can remember back in the mid to late 80's doing a 2 stage black on a 55' Chevy gasser in which I shot the bc black and first 2 coats of clear with a small amount of dark blue tinter (I was going for that walk into the paint look), I got this idea from a 70's Hot Rod magazine article. How many painters can remember the day of toners coming in a powder form in those 1/8 or 1/4 ounce plastic square tubes, wow? I followed this by 3 or 4 more coats of clear. Who would have thought that today this is known as a tricoat paint job.
    funny, i've had that same conversation with myself. so lucky to have lived through that era of automotive history. even though they were just "used cars" we realized they were something special. so much fun, so many memories.
    i totally forgot about those little powder tubes of toner. i used to love those. i also loved the colors of murano pearl in the little jars. i did a buddies early ranchero in black with blue pearl clear waaay back, such a cool effect in the sun.
    b marler

I have had a black 67 for more than 20 years. Prior to that I had a ram air 67 (one that I wish I still had).
    If you are going to put a close ratio 4 speed in, be sure to verify your rear gear. Pontiac often used a 2.52 1st gear with a wide ratio. This was because most of these cars came with gears in the 3.08 to 3.31 range. The 2.20 1st gear won't give you great torque multiplication with the "highway" gearing. Now if you have 3.55 or above ratio, a 2.20 gear will work fine (unless you have a cam cam that generates no low end torque).
    The 67 ram air cars had 4.33 gears as standard because the cam resulted in a very soft low end below about 3000 rpm.
    If you haven't been on the Performance Years forum, I would highly recommend it.
    Politicians like using other people's money!

Quote Originally Posted by carcrazy View Post
    I have had a black 67 for more than 20 years. Prior to that I had a ram air 67 (one that I wish I still had).
    If you are going to put a close ratio 4 speed in, be sure to verify your rear gear. Pontiac often used a 2.52 1st gear with a wide ratio. This was because most of these cars came with gears in the 3.08 to 3.31 range. The 2.20 1st gear won't give you great torque multiplication with the "highway" gearing. Now if you have 3.55 or above ratio, a 2.20 gear will work fine (unless you have a cam cam that generates no low end torque).
    The 67 ram air cars had 4.33 gears as standard because the cam resulted in a very soft low end below about 3000 rpm.
    If you haven't been on the Performance Years forum, I would highly recommend it.
    Have already installed a 4:11 along with a TSP stage 2 cam, push rods and double springs. I'm still going back and forth on a Holley EFI vs original tri carb set up. This particular build did not come with the factory tri power, however parts for set up are easy to find.

Nice build, In the middle of a 66 tempest rebuild. Just got the windshield rust finished and starting the rest of the body work. M22 is great trans if you want something similar but new. https://www.autogear.net/motorsports/ Makes new ones and has different gearsets. I have a 65 cutlass that needs one since the m21 is very worn out.