TheCoatingStore.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cut and buff day

Default Here's Your Beer

Quote Originally Posted by S-C View Post
    Very cool!

Default Going on the "wall"

S-C,

This is crazy! Any way you can send me that...pic, image or whatever configuration you call that pic/file? I have several areas in my shop that depict memorable moments of car builds, hot rodding, racing, etc. that I have professionally mounted onto .5" frame backers, I just need a picture file, in any configuration, I can send them. I think Len needs to go on the "wall of memories" as this shows him at his finest. If image is available to send I can msg you my email addy or Len is welcome to send it too you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (101.3 KB, 36 views)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    S-C,

This is crazy! Any way you can send me that...pic, image or whatever configuration you call that pic/file? I have several areas in my shop that depict memorable moments of car builds, hot rodding, racing, etc. that I have professionally mounted onto .5" frame backers, I just need a picture file, in any configuration, I can send them. I think Len needs to go on the "wall of memories" as this shows him at his finest. If image is available to send I can msg you my email addy or Len is welcome to send it too you.
    Hi Ron,

Lol… Glad you found it amusing; hope you received the beer on time for the fourth!

As for the images:

https://i.imgur.com/MfaeKZP.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/3MkjdjP.jpg

Hope this is what you were asking for; they are just jpeg that you can copy/download.

I like your “wall of memories”, very nice & of course the rest of your shop too!

Now, in you shop pic I couldn’t help but notice the mig welder, why, because I have the same one if yours happens to be the pro-mig 180. I like mine; it’s versatile and great for small things around the garage & out in the field.

Since you like tips (don’t we all), have you tried a spool gun with your welder?

You might already own a tig, but if not, you may be interested in the spool gun attachment for this welder, its plug-n-play. This thing has paid for itself the first time I used it. Just be careful though, when your friends realize you can weld aluminum… well, you know what happens!

Of course it’s no tig, it’s just a very simple/basic gun, but it gets it done on the cheap, I paid $180 for mine brand new from Airgas, but that was in 2009.

Spool Gun.jpg

Hi Ron,

Lol… Glad you found it amusing; hope you received the beer on time for the fourth!

As for the images:

https://i.imgur.com/MfaeKZP.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/3MkjdjP.jpg

Hope this is what you were asking for; they are just jpeg that you can copy/download.

I like your “wall of memories”, very nice & of course the rest of your shop too!

Now, in you shop pic I couldn’t help but notice the mig welder, why, because I have the same one if yours happens to be the pro-mig 180. I like mine; it’s versatile and great for small things around the garage & out in the field.

Since you like tips (don’t we all), have you tried a spool gun with your welder?

You might already own a tig, but if not, you may be interested in the spool gun attachment for this welder, its plug-n-play. This thing has paid for itself the first time I used it. Just be careful though, when your friends realize you can weld aluminum… well, you know what happens!

Of course it’s no tig, it’s just a very simple/basic gun, but it gets it done on the cheap, I paid $180 for mine brand new from Airgas, but that was in 2009.

Spool Gun.jpg

S-C,

Thanks for the images, exactly what I wanted. I have sent one for printing and mounting.

Yes, I have the 100(?) model spool gun that I use for general aluminum construction when there is quite a bit of work too do that doesn't require me to lay dimes for finishing work and material strength. I don't use it for finish or delicate work, such as an aluminum radiator, gas tank, etc. as it is a bit crude when laying a bead in comparison to tig work. Like a lot of tools it has it's place in fabrication and on those occasions it is absolutely nice to have on hand.

Default Wool vs Wizards blended buffing pad

Ron,

Have you tried the Wizards 50/50 blend wool pads?

I like them, they seem to be smoother and give a finer finish. I use them with Wizards Velcro Bendi-Backer Plate.

… and yes, the Wizards is a fantastic product, the Mystic Cut has a nice fragrance too!

Attachment 31545

Attachment 31546

Attachment 31547

S-C

Unfortunately 3 days ago I launched one of my finished rear fenders from my 36' build project off it's stand while putting it into storage and destroyed the CC surface. On the bright side for this repair I got to use and compare the new Wizards 7" 50/50 blended pad to my normally used 3M 9” double side wool pad. Geez... I didn't need this problem, however instead on focusing on the bad I took the time to compare several products I use on an almost daily basis for new and repair projects as to have a positive outcome on a dim event.

I striped the fender of it's 5 or 6 coats of clear starting with 600g followed by 800, 1000 and 1200g wet and resprayed CC with PPG DCU2021 x 4 coats. At no point did the damage extend into the mid coat of this original tri coat shot. After re-shooting the CC I colored sanded it out starting with 1500g wet by hand block followed by 2500 wet blocked, Trizact 3000 and 5000 wet on a 6” DA.

Focus of products I used for comparison;
    1. Compound, 3M 05973 Perfect-It II (black label) to Wizards Mystic 11048
    2. Buffing pads, 3M 05703 9" double sided wool pad to Wizards 7” 50/50 blended pad 11203

Tools and materials used for this test (see pics);
    1. Dewalt DWP849 7/9” variable speed polisher
    2. Astro 3027 12 volt 3” polisher for fender bead
    3. Astro 3043 air operated 3” polisher for inside fender bead
    4. 3M 05703 9” double sided wool buffing pad
    5. Wizards 7” blended 50/50 polishing pad 11203
    6. 3M 05973 Perfect-It II buffing compound
    7. Wizards Mystic 11048 cutting compound
    8. 3M Perfect-it II EX Ultrafine Machine polish (060680)
    9. Black and orange 8” foam buffing pads
    10. Various 3” foam buffing pads
    11. Spur tool for cleaning wool and blended pad
    12. Brush cleaner for foam pads
    13. Various brands of beer to complete repair (must have)

The Wizards 50/50 7” blended pad surprised me in that it cuts and finishes well. Just like S-C stated this pad literally glides over the surface! However I was not expecting all the fuzz and lint that flies off the pad, what the heck? I tried running my spur and foam brush tools over the pad to release as much lint as possible but it didn't help. I tried misting the surface of pad, again no relief from all the lint/fuzz flying off the pad. While this pad is smaller with it's 7” diameter it cuts quick and is easy too handle but it doesn't replace a wool pad for initial cut. I will be using it with the 3M Perfect-it II Ultrafine Machine polish (06068) stage 3 for show quality finishing (even though the amount of lint it throws is nuts).

On initial cut of CC I've been using and will continue to use the Wizards Mystic 11048 unless I have a bad day in booth while laying clear. On those occasions I go back to the 3M 05973 compound as it cuts quicker but with less control in comparison to the Wizards 11048.

I do a lot of 30's hot rods where fender beads and panel belt line polishing is critical on CC and have come to love the little Astro products depicted in the pics (thank you Len for putting me onto these little gems!). If you have the need for these get a multi pack of the 3' foam pads, will make your day.

As too not drag out this post for comparison products any further just let me say I will be sticking with my normal 3M 9” double sided buffing pad (057030) with Wizards Mystic 11048 when initially cutting CC after sanding panel out to Trizact 5000 wet on a 6” DA (DA is Airvantage w/3/16” throw). For show quality paint finishing I'm going to start using the Wizards 50/50 (11203) blended pad with 3M Perfect II EX Ultrafine Machine polish (06068) followed by Mothers Pure Brazilian Carnauba Wax step 3.

Default Wool vs blended buffing pad

Finished fender

Default Outstanding!

Hi Ron,

Sorry to hear about the fender, I can only imagine the f-bombs flying about the shop.

Wow, that is quite the comprehensive test Ron, thanks for taking the time to share the results with all of us. We can always depend on you for such in depth detail with whatever it is your doing.

I’m happy to hear you found the Wizards 50/50 pad helpful with your polishing process. For you to start using it for show quality finishing I can only assume it successfully passed the test, Awesome!

Lol… I forgot to mention the pad acts like it is going to self destruct. Laughed my ass off when you brought that up. I thought the same thing, what the crap is going on! That lint was everywhere, but I think you will find that dissipates after using it for a while… but not until the pad becomes the size of a dime lol.

Those pictures of the finished fender look great!!! As usual, a Ronf custom for sure.

Now, let’s get to the important part of the test, No. 13

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Very cool!
    Lol really..

Screenshot_20210710-003219_Discord.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by style View Post
    Ha! this made my day

Quote Originally Posted by style View Post

Lol style, Laughed my ass off!

Now that is some funny shit right there!!