TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 41

Thread: Cut and buff day

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    1,065

    Default Cut and buff day

    Finally got all my car buddies projects out of the shop and finishing up LAST fender on my build. I love cut and buff day as it brings a conclusion to the work. While this is just a fender it is one more panel finished on the build. Thank you Len for putting me onto the Wizards compound, I have come to love that product. Pics are my normal progression to cut and buff 2 stage (this is actually a tri coat). 1500 and 2500 wet with hand block, 3000 and 5000 Trizact wet on 6" DA with inner face pad. This is followed by polish out using a Dewalt buffer using an 8" double side wool pad, black foam pad and finish with orange pad.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (97.9 KB, 45 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (96.3 KB, 45 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (87.8 KB, 45 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (97.3 KB, 45 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (97.5 KB, 45 views)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    This is followed by polish out using a Dewalt buffer using an 8" double side wool pad, black foam pad and finish with orange pad.
    Hi Ron,

    Awesome work as always, Simply Gorgeous!

    Questions for you:

    • Is this the fender you blended & burned in the clear, or did you redo it completely, I don’t remember?
    • Are you using the wizards on both the wool pad and also the foam pads too?

    Keep it up Ron, beautiful job!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    1,065

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by S-C View Post
    Hi Ron,

    Awesome work as always, Simply Gorgeous!

    Questions for you:

    • Is this the fender you blended & burned in the clear, or did you redo it completely, I don’t remember?
    • Are you using the wizards on both the wool pad and also the foam pads too?

    Keep it up Ron, beautiful job!
    S-C,

    This is drivers side front. The fender I ran into a problem with and had to blend was front passenger side. On that occasion I learned a lot about blending tri coat and hope I don't have to go through that again as I still have a learning curve when dealing with a tri coat blend that is too be polished out to zero orange peel. This was my last peripheral on my 36' build, it's all about finishing the body from here (will take awhile as I can't say no too my car buddies).

    Yes, I used the Wizards for both wool pad and foam. For years I had been using the 3M black label, which is a good product just not as good as Wizards. I still prefer the 3M if I have an off day in the booth while laying clear coat as I think it cuts a little faster, just not as much control to walk the clear finish in when mistakes occur. Don't get me wrong, Wizards cuts fast and is much more manageable, especially if your worried about a thin CC. Wizards is absolutely the way too go.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    1,065

    Default

    S-C

    Fender did get completely finished today.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    S-C

    Fender did get completely finished today.
    Holy Crap!!

    Crystal Clear, outstanding work!

    The reflection is so good I can see you have a fluorescent lamp on its way out… Lol

    1A.jpg

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    164

    Default

    Ron,

    Have you tried the Wizards 50/50 blend wool pads?

    I like them, they seem to be smoother and give a finer finish. I use them with Wizards Velcro Bendi-Backer Plate.

    … and yes, the Wizards is a fantastic product, the Mystic Cut has a nice fragrance too!

    50-50 Pad.jpg

    Backer Plate.jpg

    No. 11203.jpg

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    olympia,wa
    Posts
    1,671

    Default

    i like the grit progression you use. taking it up to 5000 is almost good enough without any polish. nice work buddy!
    b marler

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    45,225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    Finally got all my car buddies projects out of the shop and finishing up LAST fender on my build. I love cut and buff day as it brings a conclusion to the work. While this is just a fender it is one more panel finished on the build. Thank you Len for putting me onto the Wizards compound, I have come to love that product. Pics are my normal progression to cut and buff 2 stage (this is actually a tri coat). 1500 and 2500 wet with hand block, 3000 and 5000 Trizact wet on 6" DA with inner face pad. This is followed by polish out using a Dewalt buffer using an 8" double side wool pad, black foam pad and finish with orange pad.
    Beautiful job Ron.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    45,225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by S-C View Post
    Ron,

    Have you tried the Wizards 50/50 blend wool pads?

    I like them, they seem to be smoother and give a finer finish. I use them with Wizards Velcro Bendi-Backer Plate.

    … and yes, the Wizards is a fantastic product, the Mystic Cut has a nice fragrance too!

    50-50 Pad.jpg

    Backer Plate.jpg

    No. 11203.jpg
    We have them in the store and they are quite inexpensive...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    1,065

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by S-C View Post
    Ron,

    Have you tried the Wizards 50/50 blend wool pads?

    I like them, they seem to be smoother and give a finer finish. I use them with Wizards Velcro Bendi-Backer Plate.

    … and yes, the Wizards is a fantastic product, the Mystic Cut has a nice fragrance too!

    50-50 Pad.jpg

    Backer Plate.jpg

    No. 11203.jpg

    I had no idea Wizards made a wool blend pad. Now you've peaked my interest. Does it eliminate the need for foam pads in order to remove any swirls that might be present? I have a backer that would work for the wizards pad even though I typically use the double sided wool pad. For those that have tried this pad how would you compared to a standard double sided 8" wool pad? Thanks S-C for the heads up, always looking for a step up product to make life easier (leaves more beer time).

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    1,065

    Default Wizards blended pad

    Update, couldn't help myself so I went ahead and ordered one from Len. Thanks for this tip

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    1,065

    Default Finish progression

    Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    i like the grit progression you use. taking it up to 5000 is almost good enough without any polish. nice work buddy!
    Thanks my friend, I appreciate your comments. I try to provide posts for those that are looking for help in order to do this work themselves. Hopefully I can give something back for those that helped me when I got started back in the 70's. I had a few individuals back then that really took the time to show me the trade.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    Does it eliminate the need for foam pads in order to remove any swirls that might be present?
    Ron,

    Well, I'm not anywhere the perfectionist that you are, but I’ve been happy with the results using the blended pad. It might just be my imagination, but it seems to glide smoother and bring out more luster.

    “Does it eliminate the need for foam pads” I think that depends on the skill set of the user and how critical the project is.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    always looking for a step up product to make life easier (leaves more beer time).
    Lol... hear that!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    Update, couldn't help myself so I went ahead and ordered one from Len. Thanks for this tip
    Lol… you’re too funny!

    You are probably one of Lens best customers

    Len should be selling beer too!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    1,065

    Default

    S-C,

    Actually just knowing there is another type pad with a different make up, in this case a 50/50 blend, I would have tried it eventually. If perchance it doesn't improve over my wool vs the blended pad when applied to CC that doesn't mean it won't improve work on SS (even though SS is nothing more than a pigmented CC), or maybe a blended panel, different brand CC, etc.. For instance, my go to clear is PPG DCU2021 for full shots and either dC2000, 3000 or 4000 for panel repair depending on number of panels to shoot. DCU2021 is a much softer CC in comparison to the PPG dc clears. Having another option in the shop when trying to make repairs is always a good thing and I really appreciate your taking the time to enlighten me on this product. If you think of any tips or tricks with this pad give me a shout.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    164

    Default

    ..........
    Beers.jpg

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •