TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Paint Prep

Default Paint Prep

Well this is probably the first of many questions I'll have with my new project car. 08 Boxster horribly painted black, maybe even with a brush. Paint is matte, thick and uneven. I assume I should at least take it down to the OEM paint. What should I use. Was thinking of a jitterbug type sander with a water attachment to keep the surface clean and lubed as I go. Then sand it by hand. Any thoughts? Thanks Vince

Quote Originally Posted by Vza View Post
    Well this is probably the first of many questions I'll have with my new project car. 08 Boxster horribly painted black, maybe even with a brush. Paint is matte, thick and uneven. I assume I should at least take it down to the OEM paint. What should I use. Was thinking of a jitterbug type sander with a water attachment to keep the surface clean and lubed as I go. Then sand it by hand. Any thoughts? Thanks Vince
    If it came into our shop I would probably do one of two things....

1. Use my sander/polisher to strip it down to the metal using 80 grit paper then prime, sand and paint it.

2. Use my orbital sand with some 180 to level the surface then prime, sand and paint it.

Stripping it would probably be faster but it's all about what you're most comfortable doing.

I'll probably go with #2. Should I use an orbital wet sander? Or does it matter. V

I'll probably go with #2. Should I use an orbital wet sander? Or does it matter. V
    I don't use a wet sander so I don't know how it effects the outcome. I can tell you one thing wet does is that you can't see the progress until you either wipe or squeegee the water off the surface. I normally use the orbital with dry paper and I can see when to stop or continue sanding. One of the best sanders for this method is the 6" AirVantage palm sander, it's not real expensive and does an excellent job.

OK will go with your recommendation, I guess no need to wet sand when just taking material off. I might want to use a corded sander...(cut back on the noise of a compressor) any favs? Thanks V

OK will go with your recommendation, I guess no need to wet sand when just taking material off. I might want to use a corded sander...(cut back on the noise of a compressor) any favs? Thanks V
    If we use a rotary we use a Makita but if you don't want to spend that much we now carry a High Teck polisher.

you should try a small section to see how it's going to come off. some crappy paint jobs are tough to sand down, are gummy and load up the paper. don't buy a sander till you try a little by hand to see.
    b marler

Was thinking of a jitterbug type sander with a water attachment to keep the surface clean and lubed as I go.
    Probably the slowest way to sand it, and if you break through to bare steel, it will rust.
    So best to do it dry.
    Jitterbug sanders are finish sanders and the slowest for paint removal.

Like Len said, stripping is actually much faster than trying to remove a top layer.
    A rotary, like a buffer, will take it off really fast with 80 grit.
    Do that dry and you can prime it right away when done.
    And you'll have a better longer lasting result.

When sanding, look after yourself. Wear a dust mask, no wear a very good dust mask. That stuff doesn't come out of your lungs easily. Eye and ear protection as well. those parts are not replaceable yet.
    Building my dream one piece at a time.