TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: 2015+ Ford F150 Aluminum Body and Panels.

Default 2015+ Ford F150 Aluminum Body and Panels.

Hello,

Not sure if this is the correct place for this or not, but I wanted to get some people's thoughts about the long term well being of the cab, and the bed. Should I have any concerns about this?
    Now I have an 05 Nissan Altima that has aluminum hood and truck lid, for being 15yrs old, they look great. There is some corrosion at some of the seems but it's not bad to me.

Thank you for your time.

Stampede.

Quote Originally Posted by SStampede View Post
    Hello,

Not sure if this is the correct place for this or not, but I wanted to get some people's thoughts about the long term well being of the cab, and the bed. Should I have any concerns about this?
    Now I have an 05 Nissan Altima that has aluminum hood and truck lid, for being 15yrs old, they look great. There is some corrosion at some of the seems but it's not bad to me.

Thank you for your time.

Stampede.
    It's got to last longer than the Ford's steel beds and cabs. I can't believe how fast they rot out.

I seen one and talked to the body guy that was working on it. Now I am by no means an expert or anything when it comes to metal. so take what you like from what I say. The panels are held together by steel rivets. Steel and aluminum don't play nice together so I think something is going to give. Generally aluminum is sacrificial. I do agree with Len in that older boxes rot out quickly. The ones I have seen and actually had a discussion with another body guy who showed me the problem is that the inner and outer layers of steel around the wheel wells had a layer of foam (structural foam?) That held a lot of salty water and that is why they rotted out. All the trucks did the same thing.
    Building my dream one piece at a time.

ford must have taken steps to prevent galvanic corrosion where the aluminum panels are fastened to steel (or with steel) i know my lincoln has an aluminum hood, maybe the decklid too, haven't checked. it's 9 years old and no sign of corrosion on the hood anywhere. i expect that they use some kind of membrane on the joining surfaces .
    now, if you are in the east coast area where salt runs rampant on the roadways in the winter, i would still expect that any chip in the paint will allow corrosion to take hold. some grades of aluminum are better than others in this regard, but i don't have a clue what grade they use. it will be interesting to see the pattern of corrosion in the new trucks as time goes by.
    b marler

I live in Ohio, saltbelt hell on cars. Plan is to keep one for 15+ years, my Ram is pushing 17yrs.

Thanks.

i would say that Ford is onto something here regarding corrrosion protection..

i despise Ford and i despise to work on Ford vehicles, but i hate to say it...

so far, so good..

i have looked at these trucks from below at my mechanics shop and in my shop for the signs of galvanic corrosion and fiiform corrrosion type..i dont see much....

All your fellows, Google Filiform corrosion aluminum and OEM study and you will learn a lot...

it appears better quality of aluminum on truck and bette quality control.

there have been a few cases of exfoliation corrosion on the ford trucks. very few though, and ford did a buy-back on the worst ones. you don't hear much about it though, so it must be limited to just a few units.
    b marler

Default 97 f150experience

My old truck, owned by me since new has seldom seen salted roads. Probably no more than 10-15 times over the years, as its lived in AZ and Ok all its life. Only the hood is aluminum, but it is one of the few panels on the truck with no paint loss! That year the white is a single stage urethane and is losing its hold on the top, tailgate and bed sides. Starts with a dime sized place that gradually grows to football size. Primer is solid.

Only 157K and 24 years old so it'll get some paint repair later this year.