TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: I must not be applying the K5 thick enough

Default I must not be applying the K5 thick enough

I don't think ill ever get this right, Using my Fineline sprayer with a large (2.5) tip, I must not be applying the sandable primer thick enough.
    I spray on a light coat of Guide coat, and before I get that to disappear, I'm into the epoxy primer.
    Using a grey Epoxy, a light grey K5 and black guide coat, I was hoping to be able to sand down all the guide and have a uniform Lt grey coating, but I now have a combo of light grey and the darker epoxy and in some spots bear steel.
    I used 400 then 600 the 800, it feels real smooth but a speckling to the two primers is showing.
    On the bear steel spots, Very small, Can i base coat this or re-prime first?
    Letting everything dry "over night" then hit it with some acrilly-clean, tac cloth and paint... right now I'm only paining "inside panels"..... Interior of doors, inside of tailgate, and underside of hood on my '73 Ford Bronco.
    Thanks
    reamer

Quote Originally Posted by Reamer View Post
    I don't think ill ever get this right, Using my Fineline sprayer with a large (2.5) tip, I must not be applying the sandable primer thick enough.
    I spray on a light coat of Guide coat, and before I get that to disappear, I'm into the epoxy primer.
    Using a grey Epoxy, a light grey K5 and black guide coat, I was hoping to be able to sand down all the guide and have a uniform Lt grey coating, but I now have a combo of light grey and the darker epoxy and in some spots bear steel.
    I used 400 then 600 the 800, it feels real smooth but a speckling to the two primers is showing.
    On the bear steel spots, Very small, Can i base coat this or re-prime first?
    Letting everything dry "over night" then hit it with some acrilly-clean, tac cloth and paint... right now I'm only paining "inside panels"..... Interior of doors, inside of tailgate, and underside of hood on my '73 Ford Bronco.
    Thanks
    reamer
    If you have surface irregularities you may be sanding through the high spots before the low spots are totally filled. If you have metal showing it usually pays to apply a "direct to metal" primer before applying color. If they're small you might get away with just applying paint but it's a crap shoot.