TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Cracks appearing in panel 1 year after repair

Default Cracks appearing in panel 1 year after repair

My Renault Clio was hit in the rear just over a year ago. It was subsequently repaired around that time and during that process it had to be returned twice due to such a poor job by the repairer.

Finally I got it back in what seemed like new condition.

Skip forward 1 year, I now have two cracks appearing in the panel just below the trunk handle on the right hand side.

My car has not been hit or had any form of impact since the incident, in fact it's been rarely driven.

I am wanting to return it to the repairer, but although very close, the fact the cracks don't seem to line up exactly with the old ones has me losing hope.

Any idea what could have caused these cracks? Could it be a workmanship problem from the repair?

I don't want to go pointing fingers just yet.

Thanks for your time.

Before Repair:
    AfterRepair.jpg

After Repair:
    BeforeRepair.jpg
    Last edited by mixeh; 05-30-2021 at 09:00 AM.

Default Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by mixeh View Post
    My Renault Clio was hit in the rear just over a year ago. It was subsequently repaired around that time and during that process it had to be returned twice due to such a poor job by the repairer.

Finally I got it back in what seemed like new condition.

Skip forward 1 year, I now have two cracks appearing in the panel just below the boot handle on the right hand side.

My car has not been hit or had any form of impact since the incident, in fact it's been rarely driven.

I am wanting to return it to the repairer, but although very close, the fact the cracks don't seem to line up exactly with the old ones has me losing hope.

Any idea what could have caused these cracks? Could it be a workmanship problem from the repair?

I don't want to go pointing fingers just yet.

Thanks for your time.

Before Repair:
    AfterRepair.jpg

After Repair:
    BeforeRepair.jpg
    WELCOME ABOARD:

Others will chime in but in the meantime, perhaps you can explain where and what this part of the car is. Because I never heard of your car I looked it up and found the following:

https://www.renaultgroup.com/en/news...ured-in-flins/

Also, if you could provide the composite material we're dealing with it would be better to help find solutions for your current problem.

Initially speaking, one would assume workmanship not up to par on the repair area, however, those assumptions are often incorrect. More information would be a great help along with any other pictures. Keep us posted.

Henry

Thanks Henry!

Yes it's a 2015 Renault Clio RS 200 (it's French )

Edit: Not sure exactly on panel composite, will do some digging.

I've attached another image of the car (taken slightly after the rear bump) ing the area in question.

Car_DamageArea.jpg

i hate it when that happens. you're entitled to a lasting repair when you take your car to be fixed. i don't have enough experience with the high quality bumper cover repair materials like the fusor stuff len recommends to say if it would keep those cracks from coming back. i think when those covers get bent and cracked they are permanently weakened and will be prone to have the cracks reappear, especially in a high wear area like that. maybe the cover should just be replaced, it can't be that expensive.
    b marler

It appears that the paint was not mixed with a "flex additive" and white becomes quite brittle after it hardens hence it cracks easily.

It certainly wouldn't have hurt to apply adhesion promoter depending on what the cover is made from. I believe using an Adhesive promoter along with a flex agent as Len suggests would have kept this from happening. However, as bmarler states this is a high traffic area.

10-4 on flex additive & adhesion promoters. Keep a cool head and talk to the shop.
    "Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." Alfred E. Newman

Really appreciate the responses everyone.

I took it back to the repairer as suggested and they are happy to redo it, many thanks!

Default Yes sir...

Quote Originally Posted by mixeh View Post
    Really appreciate the responses everyone.

I took it back to the repairer as suggested and they are happy to redo it, many thanks!
    Glad for you.

Not sure if they know or want to say but maybe you could ask them what failed or caused the area to crack?

Any of us do our best from here BUT we're still only looking at a photo. Nothing like being able to touch and feel the damage. Let us know anything further.

Henry