TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some advice please

Default Some advice please

Hi, would it be possible to do a spot repair on this damage or would I need to do the whole upper bumper?

I was planning on scuffing the panel up to the BMW badge and do a clear coat blend at that point?

Iím a DIY novice so just reading up on what needs to be done...

Thanks in advance.

Fixing a small spot and making it look good is harder than doing the entire bumper cover. Remove the headlights, and remove the bumper cover so you donít have to mask so much. It will be easier to sand since you donít have to worry about getting sanding scratches on adjacent parts. Remove the BMW emblem too. The headlight could stand to be sanded with 1500 wet and then buffed out or sanded with 1500 and sprayed with clear coat at the same time you clear the bumper cover after painting it. Donít forget to spray adhesion promoter on bare plastic.

Bob K

Quote Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
    Fixing a small spot and making it look good is harder than doing the entire bumper cover. Remove the headlights, and remove the bumper cover so you donít have to mask so much. It will be easier to sand since you donít have to worry about getting sanding scratches on adjacent parts. Remove the BMW emblem too. The headlight could stand to be sanded with 1500 wet and then buffed out or sanded with 1500 and sprayed with clear coat at the same time you clear the bumper cover after painting it. Donít forget to spray adhesion promoter on bare plastic.

Bob K
    Thanks Bob, are you effectively saying do the bit outlined in red, or the WHOLE bumper?

If doing the bit in red, does the line which I marked in green sensible for the clear blend point?

Personally I would do the spot by sealing it with Slick Sand then block sand the spot with 600 wet and apply color and clear using a small spray gun. If you do a decent blend there's less chance of causing a mismatch between the bumper and the hood.

If you use a small gun and good paint you can probably get away with a one or two ounces of color and clear.

I was thinking about doing the bottom cover too because of the damage by the headlight but that may buff out and like Len said the color match may be difficult without blending into the hood so trying to blend on the bumper cover may be your best option. Now that I think about it a small repair that you arenít happy with can be fixed by doing the big job later and if you are happy with the easy repair then stop there.

Bob K

Thanks gents, really appreciated. Apologies there is no damage by the headlight - that just needs a good clean as I had been wet sanding above and things have dropped down.

In doing a small repair, should i look to sand and put primer/base colour on the bit in red, and then use the location marked in green as the clear blend point? Does that sound sensible?

You should keep your primer spot as small as possible, just over the damage. I would sand an area with some 1500 wet paper from the headlamp to the emblem but allow your sanding to extend beyond the area that you spray. When you're finished the extended sanding scratches can be polished out.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    You should keep your primer spot as small as possible, just over the damage. I would sand an area with some 1500 wet paper from the headlamp to the emblem but allow your sanding to extend beyond the area that you spray. When you're finished the extended sanding scratches can be polished out.
    Thank you, itís the first time Iím doing this - so watched a lot of YouTube videos and paint etc. arriving this week - pleas wish me luck! Hopefully Iíll be able to share some after photos next week !

Quote Originally Posted by UKM3 View Post
    Thank you, itís the first time Iím doing this - so watched a lot of YouTube videos and paint etc. arriving this week - pleas wish me luck! Hopefully Iíll be able to share some after photos next week !
    Believe me the trick is going to be using a "small" spray gun. You'll have better control of a small spot job.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Believe me the trick is going to be using a "small" spray gun. You'll have better control of a small spot job.

Agreed - plan is to use a 0.8mm spray gun...

Every time I use my small gun like that on metallic paint I get a mismatch in color.
    I end up using my big gun and it matches fine.
    I usually use cardboard with cutouts for a small spot and sometimes only
    the little gun for the clear.

Quote Originally Posted by JCCLARK View Post
    Every time I use my small gun like that on metallic paint I get a mismatch in color.
    yeah, matching flake can be tough. i usually do a few spray out cards at different pressures, turns on the needle, etc. i can usually get it after couple of tries. heavy flake doesn't come out of the touch up gun the same as a big gun, that's for sure.
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by JCCLARK View Post
    Yes it all depends on the size of the fluid tip. A small gun can use a smaller tip but if the tip is too much smaller it can cause the paint to atomize so finely that the metallic will look lighter and not match. But a small gun with the right tip will not over-atomize and the spot can remain small while a full size gun will normally make the spot larger.

Personally I would pull the entire front cover, prep and re-paint. However, you can do something like this...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    Personally I would pull the entire front cover, prep and re-paint. However, you can do something like this...

Wow, what an amazing response and detail - thank you so much, this is very, very helpful !!!

Very kind of you for taking the time to do this, much appreciated.

Should be doing it this weekend, so will follow what you have shown there and hopefully it works out ok - if I wasn’t a novice I’d do the whole bumper, but baby steps for now