TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Devilbiss Dekups VS Aluminum Cups

Default Devilbiss Dekups VS Aluminum Cups

I recently bought a couple Devilbiss guns (Tekna prolite and SRi Pro) which came with the so-called "Dekups" adapters and a trial kit of disposable plastic containers.
    While I understand their may be some amount of time and lacquer thinner savings by not having to clean an aluminum cup, I'm not impressed with this Dekups system. I'm trying to decide whether or not I want to stick with this dekup system or buy a couple of traditional aluminum or plastic cups. It looks like a pack of 32, 24oz Dekups lids/cups costs $100. However, it also looks like a traditional 900cc aluminum cup is $85 (Devilbiss 702576).

My question is whether or not their are aftermarket traditional cups (plastic or aluminum) which fit the Tekna prolite and SRi Pro which are less than $85 each?

I'm just not seeing enough of an advantage using Dekups to warrant $100 expense every 32 uses. I also don't see how the traditional PPG paint pour filters could work with the Dekup system, nor does Dekups appear to securely rest in a conventional gun holder/hanger.

If there are Dekup advantages I'm overlooking, please let me know. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpegunguy View Post
    I recently bought a couple Devilbiss guns (Tekna prolite and SRi Pro) which came with the so-called "Dekups" adapters and a trial kit of disposable plastic containers.
    While I understand their may be some amount of time and lacquer thinner savings by not having to clean an aluminum cup, I'm not impressed with this Dekups system. I'm trying to decide whether or not I want to stick with this dekup system or buy a couple of traditional aluminum or plastic cups. It looks like a pack of 32, 24oz Dekups lids/cups costs $100. However, it also looks like a traditional 900cc aluminum cup is $85 (Devilbiss 702576).

My question is whether or not their are aftermarket traditional cups (plastic or aluminum) which fit the Tekna prolite and SRi Pro which are less than $85 each?

I'm just not seeing enough of an advantage using Dekups to warrant $100 expense every 32 uses. I also don't see how the traditional PPG paint pour filters could work with the Dekup system, nor does Dekups appear to securely rest in a conventional gun holder/hanger.

If there are Dekup advantages I'm overlooking, please let me know. Thanks.
    Our shop has been painting cars for many decades and several years ago we tried the DeKups and we haven't used aluminum or plastic cups ever since. The only time we use and clean cups is when there is no DeKup adapter for the gun we are using. We've found that the DeKups save us time and we can use the gun at any angle, even upside down, without problems. We use the 9oz and the 24 oz cups almost every day.

i use the dekups and love them. it's really useful to be able to spray at any angle without sputtering or spilling. the 34 oz liners are right around $80, so $2.50 per use is reasonable to me. i use plastic cups with my primer guns but dekups with the topcoat guns. they're always perfectly clean when you grab one and i keep one lightly used one for the first push of thinner when cleaning.
    with topcoat paints costing as much as they do, the extra $2.50 is nothing.
    your right about the regular filter holder that comes with a gun holder doesn't work to load the gun directly, but i just put a wood block next to it where i put the liner for filling. the gun holder still works as intended.
    i don't use any of the dekups strainer discs or anything, just strain the paint as usual into the liner with doubled up paper cones.
    b marler

Thanks to you both for your feedback. I'll look into the Dekups a little more.

Does anyone have a good condition cup for a Tekna prolite they'd be willing to sell? I'd still like to have one or two on hand, even if I decide to buy some dekups. I'd just prefer not to pay $85ea for new aluminum cups. :-)

You can buy aftermarket paint cups that fit Tekna prolute on ebay, alieXpress, Amazon...

They fit well, they used to be around $15-20,work fine.

I always liked aluminum cups better , easier to clean, less dirt..

I paint something everyday, sometimes twice a day..

I use aftermarket PPS liners and cups....I pay $35-40 for 50 pieces.....they work well, no issues with quality...I will not pay for overpriced Devilbiss plastic stuff..

The benefits of disposable PPS are numerous...they save time, less chemicals used for cleaning, and price of chemicals has skyrocketed, the jobs come out cleaner, less dirt nibs to polish, left over paint stays in the plastic liner and can be reused, you are not wasting gloves, not smelling thinner...

Overall, much much cheaper than cleaning guns...and

3,4 less dirt nibs to polish are alone worth the price of pps cups.

The disadvantage is more plastic waste, more garbage and the flow of material tru gun is slower bcs pps cups are not vented....Sata and Colad have vented cups and difference is noticeable...

Bmarler, I use pps cups for primer.....I reuse the filter as I wash it in my recycled thinner can, I let it soak for 10 sec, quick rinse and blow with air...good enough for primer....and liner I reuse.....left over clear or sealer liners, the chemicals Harden, blow it out and good as new....no need to clean primer gun, which always takes so long and reuse old filters.m..give it a try...primer gun never clogs this way

Quote Originally Posted by baubau View Post
    You can buy aftermarket paint cups that fit Tekna prolute on ebay, alieXpress, Amazon...

They fit well, they used to be around $15-20,work fine.

I always liked aluminum cups better , easier to clean, less dirt..

I paint something everyday, sometimes twice a day..

I use aftermarket PPS liners and cups....I pay $35-40 for 50 pieces.....they work well, no issues with quality...I will not pay for overpriced Devilbiss plastic stuff..

The benefits of disposable PPS are numerous...they save time, less chemicals used for cleaning, and price of chemicals has skyrocketed, the jobs come out cleaner, less dirt nibs to polish, left over paint stays in the plastic liner and can be reused, you are not wasting gloves, not smelling thinner...

Overall, much much cheaper than cleaning guns...and

3,4 less dirt nibs to polish are alone worth the price of pps cups.

The disadvantage is more plastic waste, more garbage and the flow of material tru gun is slower bcs pps cups are not vented....Sata and Colad have vented cups and difference is noticeable...

Bmarler, I use pps cups for primer.....I reuse the filter as I wash it in my recycled thinner can, I let it soak for 10 sec, quick rinse and blow with air...good enough for primer....and liner I reuse.....left over clear or sealer liners, the chemicals Harden, blow it out and good as new....no need to clean primer gun, which always takes so long and reuse old filters.m..give it a try...primer gun never clogs this way
    baubau,

Almost exactly how I use my primer gun. Have you tried the Master Paint System (MPS) cups? A lot cheaper than the 3M PPS cups and work every bit as well. I get them from TCP as I don't think Len carries them. I haven't used an aluminum or pvc cup in years and I'll not go back, as there are way too many benefits for disposable cups, just my take on this.

Len,

Could you look into carrying the MPS (Master Paint System) cups for the original 3M PPS adapter system for both the small and 24oz (or 32oz) cups?
    Last edited by Ronf; 05-14-2021 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    baubau,

Almost exactly how I use my primer gun. Have you tried the Master Paint System (MPS) cups? A lot cheaper than the 3M PPS cups and work every bit as well. I get them from TCP as I don't think Len carries them. I haven't used an aluminum or pvc cup in years and I'll not go back, as there are way too many benefits for disposable cups, just my take on this.

Len,

Could you look into carrying the MPS (Master Paint System) cups for the original 3M PPS adapter system for both the small and 24oz (or 32oz) cups?
    I checked with all of my warehouse distributors and nobody carries MPS but I'll keep looking. The "big boys" may not want aftermarket products replacing their engineering and fight to keep them out of the big warehouses.

Ronf, I never heard of MPS till now..

So in the last 4 years , I have tried 7,8 different aftermarket Chinese made pps systems....even Carworx brand and some others all feel and work the same....

However, YOU must test these out....some are more brittle than others ,some flex more some have different miniscule tolerances when snapping the lid.....

Make sure it works, doesn't drip tightens easy and doesn't bust open across the hood

So Ronf, that Amazon system is expensive, you can find something for $50-60 for 50 pieces...

I will not spend money on expensive consumables, stuff by 3m or Devillbiss...I will spend money on permanent quality items

I never had one break while paintibg; but I did vreak a few while super over tightening, my fault..

Sata are the best, but way expensive..

And on big jobs, I will use aluminum cups so I get steady same constant fast flow...

Thanks for making me aware of the 3M PPS cups! I had not seen that option. I don't immediately see a price advantage over the dekups, but at least it gives me another option. :-)

baubau, if you're aware of a specific brand or PN of aftermarket AL cups that fit the Tekna prolite, please let me know. I have searched on amazon and thus far found no aftermarket options for that gun. Thank you.