TheCoatingStore.com

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 36 chevy coupe custom dash and sub dash build

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    nice work ron, that trim looks fantastic. the home made picks are the only way to get into some of those complex shapes. i have a couple of tiny picking hammers i bought decades ago that i still use, but i have a drawer full of little homemade stuff for those special pieces.
    i might have some things that could save you some time when doing the stainless polishing work. i use a process using red scotchbrite roloc discs, followed by a unitized silicone carbide 3 inch roloc. then a polish made by chemithon. comes in these huge green bricks that last forever. i can go from a bare weld to mirror finish with only those products. i used to use two or three different grits and polishes till i found this stuff. when i'm all done i'll use flitz on it for protection.
    the chemithon polish is really amazing. if you lean on it it will cut quickly but when you back off it comes up to mirror without leaving marks.
    i'm out at my cabin right now so i can't get any pictures for you, but when i get back i'll show you what i do.
    of course there are times you need to get more aggressive, like bringing mill finish up, or repairing bad road rash. i start with 60 grit in those instances, (or maybe a coarse scotchbrite, it depends on the size of the repair.) work my way up to 600. gotta be so careful not to work harden the surface. once i get to 600 i switch to the roloc stuff.
    Marler,

Thanks for the kind words on doghouse. UPDATE on the green rouge you sent me, I'm impressed and shocked at how good that product does. I now understand what you were talking about when you said you can lean on it hard and then back off piece for final pass. I got to use it on the doghouse chin moulding, crankcase grille cover and a pair of early model Corvette bumperetts a friend brought over for restore. I cannot thank you enough for the product you sent and the instructions you provided, damn I love learning new products and techniques. Have not had the chance to use the new unitized disc you sent (I screwed up as I could have tried it on the bumperettes) but I am sure that time will come soon.

Default WOW!

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    Done and ready to mount
    I will jump in on the bandwagon and say "WOW" that is truly a work of art!

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    Marler,

Thanks for the kind words on doghouse. UPDATE on the green rouge you sent me, I'm impressed and shocked at how good that product does. I now understand what you were talking about when you said you can lean on it hard and then back off piece for final pass. I got to use it on the doghouse chin moulding, crankcase grille cover and a pair of early model Corvette bumperetts a friend brought over for restore. I cannot thank you enough for the product you sent and the instructions you provided, damn I love learning new products and techniques. Have not had the chance to use the new unitized disc you sent (I screwed up as I could have tried it on the bumperettes) but I am sure that time will come soon.
    i knew you'd appreciate how well that stuff works. keep it bagged up when not using it so it doesn't dry out.
    sharing information is where it's at, i'm a firm believer in passing on anything i feel is useful.
    the little unitized rolocs i use are amazing at blending too, here's a link for the medium grit. i use the fine too. (probably more than medium) this supplier has a fairly high price, but you can shop around for a better deal. i get them direct from the 3m rep when he stops by my shop.
    https://www.aaabrasives.com/3m-scotc...xoC5YUQAvD_BwE
    b marler