TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 36 chevy coupe custom dash and sub dash build

Default 36 chevy coupe restore

This dash reconstruction pictorial is for you S-C, I think you will find it interseting.
    For the better part of 5 years I have been restoring and highly modifying a 36' Chevy coupe. It is now down to paint, wiring and assembly. Unfortunately I don't get to work on it every day as I have classic car buddies drop by the shop nearly every day in which we are doing repairs, restoring, etc.. I have the honor to work on and be around some of the most unique classics builds ever produced. With the exception of upholstery I do all my own work (my passion is in sheet metal work and engine building). Here are a few pics on the dash rebuild as well as the sub dash I build that holds all the modern conveniences such as; hvac vents, hvac controls, radio head that includes am, fm, cd, dvd, and gps driving. Dash was originally a 3 gauge set up in which I converted it too a 5 gauge with modern electronics for the LS1/4l60e that I installed some time back. 1a.jpg2a.jpg3a.jpg4a.jpg5.jpg

After finishing gauge package I moved on to welding up original dash too start with a blank canvas
    Last edited by Ronf; 09-30-2021 at 04:50 PM.

After completing dash instrument panel I started welding up the dash for a blank canvass.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (85.9 KB, 51 views)
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (86.3 KB, 50 views)

Cut out rusted metal around windshield and hood vent area and replaced with new sheet metal
    • File Type: jpg a.jpg (89.3 KB, 51 views)
    • File Type: jpg b.jpg (90.3 KB, 51 views)
    • File Type: jpg c.jpg (88.2 KB, 49 views)
    • File Type: jpg d.jpg (87.6 KB, 52 views)

Began building new dash register vents for hvac on main dash

Installed new hvac control panel and center vent. All gauges and vents in center of dash were frenched in .167
    xx.jpg

After completion of main dash it received a coat of SS fiber filler and leveled before moving on to construction of new sub dash

Reconfigured main dash completed with single coat of SS fiber filler and leveled

Building new sub dash and fitment between A pillar and main dash

Center hood/cowl mechanical retractable cab vent would not operate as I had to remove the linkage due too space availability. However, I wanted to maintain the cowl vent for the "look" of the 30's model cars. I ended up using a micro linear actuator which really worked out great. IMG_2137.jpg

Linear actuator now operates off of a 12v switch under sub dash

Final dash pic to completion and sitting in epoxy primer ready for paint.

I have been tempted to post a complete build album but I am so time stricted I don't know if I could do it justice. Maybe sometime down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    This dash reconstruction pictorial is for you S-C, I think you will find it interseting.
    Wow!!

I really appreciate you taking the time to share this with me, and yes, I do find it very interesting to say the least. I love following along with someoneís build project, itís fun and very inspiring.

Iím extremely impressed Ronf, your creativity, attention to detail, craftsmanship, man you got it all going on!

Again, thanks for sharing your life passion with me and all of us here on this awesome forum/website Len created for us.

You can bet Iíll be looking out for the build album, in the mean time, keep up the GREAT WORK!!

Seriously Ronf, you didnít think I would spot this? ... Lol

mystery keg.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by S-C View Post
    Wow!!

I really appreciate you taking the time to share this with me, and yes, I do find it very interesting to say the least. I love following along with someoneís build project, itís fun and very inspiring.

Iím extremely impressed Ronf, your creativity, attention to detail, craftsmanship, man you got it all going on!

Again, thanks for sharing your life passion with me and all of us here on this awesome forum/website Len created for us.

You can bet Iíll be looking out for the build album, in the mean time, keep up the GREAT WORK!!

Seriously Ronf, you didnít think I would spot this? ... Lol

mystery keg.jpg

HAH! you caught sight of my keg...This was actually a surprise by a few of my car buddies as a present for helping them as they know I won't take their money. Great eye!

The dash looks great. Nice work man, really nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    HAH! you caught sight of my keg...This was actually a surprise by a few of my car buddies as a present for helping them as they know I won't take their money. Great eye!
    i totally get that. you can never ask your friends to pay for a couple of reasons. first, you can never charge what you're really worth, and even at the low price you'd set, they think it's too much. better to do it free.
    second, it ruins friendships whenever you change things to a business relationship. too many expectations and disappointments.
    better to just hang that big sign that says, "will work for beer" right?
    somehow i'm imagining you have a custom painted old fridge converted to a keg holder with a tap on the door.
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    i totally get that. you can never ask your friends to pay for a couple of reasons. first, you can never charge what you're really worth, and even at the low price you'd set, they think it's too much. better to do it free.
    second, it ruins friendships whenever you change things to a business relationship. too many expectations and disappointments.
    better to just hang that big sign that says, "will work for beer" right?
    somehow i'm imagining you have a custom painted old fridge converted to a keg holder with a tap on the door.
    Dead on as always my friend. Classic cars are my true passion and hobby, period. I have never had any desire to do what Len does in a production shop setting. I very much admire Len's work and know he can and has produced custom show quality cars beyond my skill level (not to mention the fact that I have had to bug him on the phone occasionally for advise). Since the early 70's I have been racing and building hot rods with the same group of classic car enthusiasts and wouldn't have it any other way. This is my one true life passion in which I could never put a value on nor would I want to. A friend once said to me "I would love to put a value on your abilities too build hot rods", my reply "the value is not in the build or my abilities, it's in the friendships I have gained through the decades".