TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 55 Buick Wagon Two Tone

Default 55 Buick Wagon Two Tone

Here's a car that just left our shop....

DSCN2524.jpg
    We had to strip most of the car before doing the body work.

DSCN2525.jpg

DSCN2527.jpg

DSCN2476.jpg

There was minor body work all over the car.

We spent as much time masking as we did on everything else.

Finishing

DSCN2642.jpg

DSCN2645.jpg

DSCN2651.jpg

The car's owner is taking the car and installing the remaining parts.

Default BIG ONE!

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Finishing

DSCN2645.jpg

DSCN2651.jpg

The car's owner is taking the car and installing the remaining parts.[/CENTER]
    Another sweet job and this one is surely a BIG ONE!

Len, where is this car from with no rot? Secondly, it's an obvious color change but how come the front end was already the new colors?

Also, how come you didn't paint the entire headlight opening (because OEM did not?)

How long did this one take and did SAGOLA put that awesome paintjob on for you? BC/CC?

You really get involved. My personal favorite is the yellow vette and the blue T-Bird. Nice work!

(YELLOW VETTE RESTO: For anyone interested there is a step by step photo array of that in the CLASSROOM section from the HOME PAGE) HERE IS A LINK to the VETTE: http://www.autobodystore.com/66vette.shtml

Thanks for sharing this big car with us. Please continue to share your efforts & thanks.

Henry

looks terrific len, i simply love a two tone buick. looks like a driver too, perfect. it's funny with old cars, they all seem to have little dings on every panel, i think they get more banged up where they've been stored than when they were on the road.
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Another sweet job and this one is surely a BIG ONE!

Len, where is this car from with no rot? Secondly, it's an obvious color change but how come the front end was already the new colors?

Also, how come you didn't paint the entire headlight opening (because OEM did not?)

How long did this one take and did SAGOLA put that awesome paintjob on for you? BC/CC?

You really get involved. My personal favorite is the yellow vette and the blue T-Bird. Nice work!

(YELLOW VETTE RESTO: For anyone interested there is a step by step photo array of that in the CLASSROOM section from the HOME PAGE) HERE IS A LINK to the VETTE: http://www.autobodystore.com/66vette.shtml

Thanks for sharing this big car with us. Please continue to share your efforts & thanks.

Henry
    The owner is a friend of mine, we restored a 4 door Lincoln with suicide doors many years ago. This Buick took us about 8 months to finish. The owner's favorite grade school teacher owned this car and when she died he went to the estate sale and saw the car stashed in the garage where it had been sitting for decades with no rust holes but had a damaged front end so he bought it and switched out the damaged parts hence the different color front end.

It's all single stage urethane paint sprayed with a Sagola 4600 and came out perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    looks terrific len, i simply love a two tone buick. looks like a driver too, perfect. it's funny with old cars, they all seem to have little dings on every panel, i think they get more banged up where they've been stored than when they were on the road.
    Yep, this had dents everywhere, we even missed a very small one in the driver's door that became visible after it was painted.
    The owner is a master builder who is now working on the Frank Loyd Wright's house and he also sells antique tools that he plans on hauling to shows in this Buick.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Hmmmmm....

The owner is a friend of mine, we restored a 4 door Lincoln with suicide doors many years ago. This Buick took us about 8 months to finish. The owner's favorite grade school teacher owned this car and when she died he went to the estate sale and saw the car stashed in the garage where it had been sitting for decades with no rust holes but had a damaged front end so he bought it and switched out the damaged parts hence the different color front end.

It's all single stage urethane paint sprayed with a Sagola 4600 and came out perfect.

Yep, this had dents everywhere, we even missed a very small one in the driver's door that became visible after it was painted.
    The owner is a master builder who is now working on the Frank Loyd Wright's house and he also sells antique tools that he plans on hauling to shows in this Buick.
    I originally asked BC/CC because of the color and amount of gloss. I was going to say (or) "SSAU" but I've always faced the trade off with metallic, get gloss and uneven metallic or even metallic and more dull going SS.

SO, did you colorsand this one? (And that red is metallic, yes?) Thanks.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    I originally asked BC/CC because of the color and amount of gloss. I was going to say (or) "SSAU" but I've always faced the trade off with metallic, get gloss and uneven metallic or even metallic and more dull going SS.

SO, did you colorsand this one? (And that red is metallic, yes?) Thanks.

Henry
    It's a single stage non-metallic color with no sanding or buffing it came out of the gun beautiful.

Default Yes sir...

It's a single stage non-metallic color with no sanding or buffing it came out of the gun beautiful.
    BINGO! Single Stage in SOLID is outstanding and to me more represents the lacquer the car came through with. Looks great. Thanks for the clarification.

Tell your buddy you've an ARMY of members who love his (finished) car!

Henry

Default WOW

Very Nice Great Job pretty wagon

Hi Len,

Great job on the Buick!

From your pictures, it looks as though the car was painted in a garage setting and not a conventional spray booth. If this was the case, how did you manage keeping the airborne dust/debris from getting into the paint? This has always been a challenge for me.

Glad to see the Sagola performed flawlessly once again!

Quote Originally Posted by S-C View Post
    Hi Len,

Great job on the Buick!

From your pictures, it looks as though the car was painted in a garage setting and not a conventional spray booth. If this was the case, how did you manage keeping the airborne dust/debris from getting into the paint? This has always been a challenge for me.

I installed an air handler to push air into my booth which eliminates most of my dust problems. You can see the booth project linked below.

Homemade Booth Link

Quote Originally Posted by S-C View Post
    Hi Len,

Great job on the Buick!

lens air handling situation is what inspired me to go with a positive pressure spray area too. your booth can be pretty sketchy and still have good results if you're pushing in filtered air. my paintwork went to a whole new level when i went positive pressure.
    b marler

I installed an air handler to push air into my booth which eliminates most of my dust problems. You can see the booth project linked below.

Homemade Booth Link
    Nice write-up on the booth Len. Homemade Booth Link

Positive pressure sure sounds like a good way to go.

Being your incoming positive air is overhead and exhausting out the lower rear of the booth, do you notice any residual (stagnant) overspray air being left up near the front end of the booth?

I realize eventually all will be forced out, but it would seem that area would be somewhat slower moving in the air exchange process.

Your thoughts