TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Undercoating ?

Default Undercoating ?

I am replacing my bed on my truck and before I put on the new to me bed I need some help.

The underside has very little to no rust.
    My plan is to cover the entire underside with a rust converter and than use a rubberized undercoating or bed liner.
    This is a daily ride and I just want to preserve it for as long as I can with out a great deal of expense. Are there spots I should avoid ?
    Let me know what you all think or any advice you have
    .21BDAA10-9BB2-42A4-86A0-9EBF03BFBDF3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tropicalcats View Post
    I am replacing my bed on my truck and before I put on the new to me bed I need some help.

The underside has very little to no rust.
    My plan is to cover the entire underside with a rust converter and than use a rubberized undercoating or bed liner.
    This is a daily ride and I just want to preserve it for as long as I can with out a great deal of expense. Are there spots I should avoid ?
    Let me know what you all think or any advice you have
    .21BDAA10-9BB2-42A4-86A0-9EBF03BFBDF3.jpg
    One of our suppliers just put this bed liner kit on sale for $99.50 plus shipping. It comes with the applicator spray gun. If you're interested call me at 609-859-3670

I used the U-Pol Raptor liner to line the bed of my truck a couple years ago. I am really pleased with it. I plan to use it to undercoat the car I am building now.

Quote Originally Posted by 80grit View Post
    I used the U-Pol Raptor liner to line the bed of my truck a couple years ago. I am really pleased with it. I plan to use it to undercoat the car I am building now.
    Yes, we also sell U-Pol bed liner, it sells for $165 and does not include the applicator gun. It's probably a better bed liner because of it's UV resistance but might be a little overkill for under coating.

Len,

Whatís your preference for underside finishing on a daily driver restomod passenger car?

The more I look into it, the more it seems like undercoating has more disadvantages than advantages, especially with products like Dynamat. My new floor is in epoxy primer. Iíve got to scuff and respray around the welds, then topcoat with something.

Quote Originally Posted by 80grit View Post
    Len,

Whatís your preference for underside finishing on a daily driver restomod passenger car?

The more I look into it, the more it seems like undercoating has more disadvantages than advantages, especially with products like Dynamat. My new floor is in epoxy primer. Iíve got to scuff and respray around the welds, then topcoat with something.
    I'm not a big fan of most undercoat products. I like using Zero Rust because unlike most heavier undercoats it doesn't crack or lift off the surface causing problems and it's easy to repair should it get chipped or damaged.

However if you need a heavier coating Fusor spray-able seam sealer is the best but takes a special applicator gun. The spray-able seam sealer stays flexible and won't dry and crack like solvent based products.

There would be no problem applying Zero Rust directly over scuffed epoxy or weld-thru primer?