TheCoatingStore.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MIG Welder

I found a used Lincoln Power MiG 180C for sale that includes the cart. $850

Default Hmmmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by IHJoe View Post
    Have to say, that price seems on the high side. Look in LOWES for the Lincoln 180 at near $600 (brand NEW). Plus, if you went the LOWES route and had their credit card, you could buy it deferred payment with no interest for up to 24 months. A cart to hold one is like $30 at Harbor Frt.

What you need USED should be found from $250 - $400.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Have to say, that price seems on the high side. Look in LOWES for the Lincoln 180 at near $600 (brand NEW). Plus, if you went the LOWES route and had their credit card, you could buy it deferred payment with no interest for up to 24 months. A cart to hold one is like $30 at Harbor Frt.

What you need USED should be found from $250 - $400.

Henry
    i think the 180c is more expensive than just the 180. i don't know all the specifics as to why. the 180c is a good machine, i'd use one.
    i do agree though, you should be able to find one a bit cheaper on the used market. for that price it should be darn near pristine.
    b marler

Default Hmmmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    i think the 180c is more expensive than just the 180. i don't know all the specifics as to why. the 180c is a good machine, i'd use one.
    i do agree though, you should be able to find one a bit cheaper on the used market. for that price it should be darn near pristine.
    Just seems lots of money for his future uses and being used @ $850.

I saw a pristine Miller-Matic go for $500 at a shop a couple months back. Hope he does find a deal out there.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Just seems lots of money for his future uses and being used @ $850.

I saw a pristine Miller-Matic go for $500 at a shop a couple months back. Hope he does find a deal out there.

Henry
    Agreed Henry, there's always a deal if you can wait for it. If you're in a hurry though, you pay more. Usually, the day after you buy something is when you see the deal you really wanted.
    b marler

Default Yes sir...

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    Agreed Henry, there's always a deal if you can wait for it. If you're in a hurry though, you pay more. Usually, the day after you buy something is when you see the deal you really wanted.
    Now isn't that the case - GOOD CALL!

Another resource is where I buy my tanks. He is also a dealer for new machines and one specialty he has are LINCOLNS.

Anyway, after a few years of dealing with him, he does get used (trade in machines) that he puts a pretty good price on. So, that would be another avenue for him to check out.

I have a 140 FIREPOWER which was a really good worker for me that I would GIVE him. It does still work well but has a kink in the gas line within the stinger that gets restrictive from time to time and should be changed. I also bought a MARQUETTE which is a go to for sheetmetal but then we had the (standing tall) blue MILLER.

I can't help it as when I hear of deals I counter and reach in my pocket. Always was someone coming around with some 'weasel deal'. That's why I asked him what state he lived in.

Enjoy your weekend. For us, feels like a nice SPRING day out there, however, we've been known to see over 2 feet of snow on the first day of SPRING !

Henry

Look at this Lincoln 180 mig welder. Years ago Lincoln produced a mig wire welder for Home Depot known as the Weld-Pak, hence the HD in the model number, "180 Amp Weld-Pak HD MIG Wire Feed Welder with Magnum 100L Gun, Gas Regulator, MIG and Flux-Cored Wire, 230V". A few years back I had the occasion to use this very welder in my friends garage to weld on shock tower support plates for his 64' Ford Falcon Autocross race car. It was very impressive to use, esp. considering the price. Maybe pick up a cart from HF and a used welding bottle from Craigslist or a welding supply company (I love Praxair for bottle swap that is local too me). I use the 300-360 CF bottles (large bottles) but you could get by with around a 150 cf to start with, I wouldn't go any smaller.

Looking at the ads for my local Home Depot they carry this welder for $699.00 new. It is both a mig and flux core welder with the regulator. If you go to a shielded gas I like the C25 75% Argon 25% CO2 or C100 which is pure CO2 for certain jobs/metals. I know from experience this welder can handle from 20g to 3/16" plate after using it in my friends shop.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-...15-1/100670932

However, if your not in a rush I would still consider picking up a used machine similar to the Weld-Pak for a savings, but just as bmarler and henry stated a good welder holds it value.
    Last edited by Ronf; 03-12-2021 at 05:47 PM.

You didn't say what you will be using it for. Since you posed on this site i would think it's for sheet metal work. Anything else you will need a higher amp heavy duty cycle welder. My 120 volt welder works well(light/sheet metal work) and for sheet metal you are not on the trigger constantly anyway. If i need something with more amperage i use the welder at work.

Looks like I may be late to the party here. I bought a Hobart 140 from TSC. Been a few years so no idea on price. I agree with others here on used/new. See what you can find. Not sure what you plan on doing with it so that may guide you as well. Mine says it will do up to 1/4" with flux core wire. Never tried that. Most I have done is 1/8" with gas. For a cart, funny story here. When I bought the unit, my brother says that anyone worth anything will build a cart as his first project and to help learn, so that is what I did. Duty cycle on mine is 20% but that is lots for me anyway, never had it cut out yet.
    Building my dream one piece at a time.

I saw a new MIG in Harbor Freight yesterday selling for under $300.

I went to Tractor Supply yesterday and really liked their Hobert Handler 190. I think this may be the one I'm going to get, I think it was around $750

I went to Tractor Supply yesterday and really liked their Hobert Handler 190. I think this may be the one I'm going to get, I think it was around $750
    that's a sturdy welder. no frills but reliable. i think blains has it for around $650. personally, i think a novice would like to have something with digital readout. it really helps you in getting repeatable results without spending a bunch of time doing setup beads. i also would rather have infinite control of the voltage setting instead of just a few selections.
    it gets really good reviews though, a lot of people seem to like it. maybe the lack of complicated controls is a good thing.
    i guess the lincoln 180 has a similar setup, it gets good reviews as well.
    b marler

Default Hmmmmm....

But again, what are your intended uses for having such a MIG? Depending on your plans, amount of welding you NEED to do going forward should help dictate how much you spend and on what. Best to you in your search and keep us posted.

Henry

Thanks you all. I'm getting a welder to do floor pans and weld in cut out places from rust on my 68 F250. And after that, unless my wife doesn't make me sell it, I have a 68 IH Travelall I'm wanting to fix up.

Thanks you all. I'm getting a welder to do floor pans and weld in cut out places from rust on my 68 F250. And after that, unless my wife doesn't make me sell it, I have a 68 IH Travelall I'm wanting to fix up.
    You’re looking at the right class of welder. Judging by your choice of vehicle I bet you’ll have other stuff to do with it soon enough. Your friends will find out you have it and suddenly everyone will need a little weld here and there.
    Take your time and find the right one.
    I used to have a travelall about that vintage. It was an amazing truck and I sure wish I had it now. It was 4 wheel drive and got about 6 mpg loaded, unloaded, transfer in or out. Couldn’t be stopped, it was a tank! Had the biggest heater core I ever saw, awesome rig for going to the mountains.
    b marler