TheCoatingStore.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Show car quality paint for my 66 Chevelle SS

Quote Originally Posted by Robb View Post
    Hey chopperroxie I may be wrong but I believe the original 66 Chevelle marina blue was a metallic. I've always been a Chevelle fan and my first car was 66 Chevelle Malibu. I bought the car in 1978 for $200.00 and had that car for 25 years. I had built it in a few different configurations over the years. I even had a straight front axle under it at one point. It was primer gray with a flat black super sport hood when I bought it, and primer gray the whole time I owned it.
    Hey Robb, are you sure it was metallic? I was under the impression that the 60's and 70's GM cars were solid color and lacquer.

Quote Originally Posted by chopperroxie View Post
    Hey Robb, are you sure it was metallic? I was under the impression that the 60's and 70's GM cars were solid color and lacquer.
    I had a 62 Chevy Nassau Blue that was metallic.

Yes My 2nd right front fender I had on the car was from a 66 SS and it was metallic. My brother had a 66 nova and it was the same metallic blue, and both were the original paint.

My first car was a ‘59 Buick LeSabre, Seafoam Green and it was metallic. I found out the hard way by trying to fix a scratch by wiping it with lacquer thinner. That messed up the metallic and made the spot worse than if I had left it alone.

Bob K

That's good to know. Thanks guys.

Chopperroxie,

Maybe this will help confirm your paint is metallic.

If your paint code is “F” on the trim tag located on the firewall then you indeed have metallic paint.

Below is a chart for 1966, although they call it Marina Blue Poly, back in the day, “Poly” (polychromatic) meant metallic on the color chips.

Good Luck!

1966 Color Chips.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by S-C View Post
    Chopperroxie,

Maybe this will help confirm your paint is metallic.

If your paint code is “F” on the trim tag located on the firewall then you indeed have metallic paint.

Below is a chart for 1966, although they call it Marina Blue Poly, back in the day, “Poly” (polychromatic) meant metallic on the color chips.

Good Luck!
    Wow SC, that's awesome!! I had not seen that chart before.
    Yes my trim code is F so I guess it is settled. Metallic for me.
    I can probably find that chip chart somewhere and take it to my paint supplier and get him to match it, at least in theory.

if you go to a ppg supplier they should be able to use the 13148 code and mix it for you. i have heard it's only available in dbu but i can't guarantee it. i don't mind using dbu instead of dbc anyway, both are good quality and dbu is catalyzed. (which i usually prefer) dbc can be catalyzed too but not necessary.
    i saw a cross reference to dupont using that code too, easy enough to find.
    remember though, todays pigments are different than back then, and the color will only be approximate. if there's any part of the car with the original finish a scan might give a closer match. preferably a piece that isn't sun baked...glove box door maybe?
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    if you go to a ppg supplier they should be able to use the 13148 code and mix it for you. i have heard it's only available in dbu but i can't guarantee it. i don't mind using dbu instead of dbc anyway, both are good quality and dbu is catalyzed. (which i usually prefer) dbc can be catalyzed too but not necessary.
    i saw a cross reference to dupont using that code too, easy enough to find.
    remember though, todays pigments are different than back then, and the color will only be approximate. if there's any part of the car with the original finish a scan might give a closer match. preferably a piece that isn't sun baked...glove box door maybe?
    While you might still be able to find PPG DBU it was actually discontinued 4 or 5 years ago and replaced with PPG DBI. However, the DBI is formulated for interior use only. Not really sure why this would be, surely it's uv resistant? I use the DBC for both interior and exterior with no problems and love that base.

Here are a couple of sites that have proven to be invaluable to me over the years in terms of vehicle data for classic GM owners.

For GM vehicle specific information kits click the link below, then click on your make and year.
    https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/gm-...tion-kits.html

For Chevrolet specifically look at;

For your 66' Chevelle follow link above and click on Chevrolet and then "1966 Chevelle" and download your vehicles packet, loads of info

Repair manuals, advertising, etc,. for GM vehicles with a focus on Chevrolet for years 1916-1961. Loads of info for pre war cars
    http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/

All these sites have proven to be very valuable to the era of cars I restore

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    While you might still be able to find PPG DBU it was actually discontinued 4 or 5 years ago and replaced with PPG DBI. However, the DBI is formulated for interior use only. Not really sure why this would be, surely it's uv resistant? I use the DBC for both interior and exterior with no problems and love that base.

Here are a couple of sites that have proven to be invaluable to me over the years in terms of vehicle data for classic GM owners.

For GM vehicle specific information kits click the link below, then click on your make and year.

For Chevrolet specifically look at;

For your 66' Chevelle follow link above and click on Chevrolet and then "1966 Chevelle" and download your vehicles packet, loads of info

Repair manuals, advertising, etc,. for GM vehicles with a focus on Chevrolet for years 1916-1961. Loads of info for pre war cars
    http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/

All these sites have proven to be very valuable to the era of cars I restore
    I thought you might have some input on the ppg paint. My info on dbu is obviously old. It's been a few years since I bought any. I mostly use the concept dcc now. (For single stage )
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    I thought you might have some input on the ppg paint. My info on dbu is obviously old. It's been a few years since I bought any. I mostly use the concept dcc now. (For single stage )
    That PPG DCC single stage is an absolute great product and I too use it for SS shots. A few years back I shot a buddies 69' RS/SS Camaro in the DCC 9300 triple black. Just prior to spraying his Camaro he asked me if there was a way to "up" the triple black appearance to give it more depth. I ended up adding a small amount of deep blue pigment to the SS which really made it pop. After hitting it with 3 or 4 coats (can't remember exactly number of coats I applied) he was elated with the results. I caught onto his enthusiasm and after a little discussion we decided to take it one step further and hit it with 3-4 coats of DCU 2021 CC with the first coat of clear once again being tinted with a very small amount of the deep blue tinter. After a few weeks of storage he color sanded the car (took him a month, lol). In the end this resto turned out to be one of the best spray jobs I have ever done. The depth of the finish was overwhelming. Obviously the body lines had already been worked to get them dead straight (not by me) in order too finish in the fashion we did.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    That PPG DCC single stage is an absolute great product and I too use it for SS shots. A few years back I shot a buddies 69' RS/SS Camaro in the DCC 9300 triple black. Just prior to spraying his Camaro he asked me if there was a way to "up" the triple black appearance to give it more depth. I ended up adding a small amount of deep blue pigment to the SS which really made it pop. After hitting it with 3 or 4 coats (can't remember exactly number of coats I applied) he was elated with the results. I caught onto his enthusiasm and after a little discussion we decided to take it one step further and hit it with 3-4 coats of DCU 2021 CC with the first coat of clear once again being tinted with a very small amount of the deep blue tinter. After a few weeks of storage he color sanded the car (took him a month, lol). In the end this resto turned out to be one of the best spray jobs I have ever done. The depth of the finish was overwhelming. Obviously the body lines had already been worked to get them dead straight (not by me) in order too finish in the fashion we did.
    i love doing stuff like that. those are the ones you remember for the rest of your life. i never thought to take pictures of most of the stuff i worked on, and even if i did, the pictures wouldn't really live up to the memories. (or, i'm way better in my own mind...)
    hopefully the OP will keep us posted on his progress? i painted a nova that marina blue back in my youth, it's a great color for those body years.
    b marler