TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Using Intercoat clear

Default Using Intercoat clear

E410B9B5-C0B1-43B1-84D9-E4AE7E555D7C.jpg
    I’ve attached a generic aircraft paint job for reference to my question. I will be applying a two tone paint job with an accent stripe to an aircraft. After applying the base the product sheet says you must clear within a 24 hr window. I will not have sufficient time to apply all the colors and accents within that time window. I planned on using an intercoat clear like DBC 500 to give me time to tape off the second color and stripe before the final clear coat is applied.

Can anyone with experience using an intercoat clear share their experience using it as I’ve described?

1. The whole plane is prepped for paint
    2. Spray a 6” area where the black stripe will go
    3. Apply 1/2” fineline tape over the black
    4. Spray the white base and allow to flash for an hour
    5. Remove fineline tape and spray Intercoat clear over the white/black and allow to dry overnight,up to a few days if I get busy
    6. Tape off the pattern separating where the white and red will go and mask all the white area
    7. Spray the red base and allow to flash for an hour
    8. Lightly scuff the intercoat clear
    9. Apply 2-3 coats of high solids clear

This is my understanding of the way to use intercoat clear on my project. Any input is appreciated.
    Thanks

I purchased my first quart of intercoat clear about two years ago and never used it but your steps sound correct. Intercoat clear is supposed to be a clear base coat and if that's the case then your procedure would work.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    I purchased my first quart of intercoat clear about two years ago and never used it but your steps sound correct. Intercoat clear is supposed to be a clear base coat and if that's the case then your procedure would work.
    I agree with Len. I have used DBC500 many times when doing custom graphics (mostly on motorcycle gas tanks) and you paint procedure sounds good
    to me. Like Len suggested -- intercoat clear is basecoat with no color tints (clear). You could use a DX hardener with the DBC 500 but for what you're doing I don't see it as necessary. For those that aren't familiar we are talking PPG product line.

i haven't used dbc500 before, but if it needs to sit for days before the next coating wouldn't a dx hardener be advisable? i didn't look up the data sheet on the dbc500 so don't know what the recoat window is.
    b marler

My main concern is when all the graphics are finally laid down and Iím ready to apply the clear coat, having adhesion issues. The PPG product guide recommends no more than 24-48 hrs before applying the clear over the base. I simply wonít have enough time to get the graphics on in that window of time. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gearup View Post
    My main concern is when all the graphics are finally laid down and Iím ready to apply the clear coat, having adhesion issues. The PPG product guide recommends no more than 24-48 hrs before applying the clear over the base. I simply wonít have enough time to get the graphics on in that window of time. Thanks
    Yes that's the case with most unhardened base coat products but if you can sand it lightly it should allow the following coat to bond beyond the recoat window.

Quote Originally Posted by Gearup View Post
    I use a lot of DBC500 intercoat for carrying pearls and tinting mid coats for a tri coat shot as well as feathering out a 2 stage panel repair with a tinted DBC500. I always use DX57 at 5% RTS when shooting the DBC500 clear base as it allows me the option to sand with 800g if I go beyond the allotted time for recoat. However, if you use a hardner in mid coat then you must use a hardner on your base or you may experience lifting, especially around the edges. If you elect not to use the DX57 then I would simply recoat within window time which will extend your window per TDS prior to clearing.