TheCoatingStore.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which rust converter

i'm interested to hear your results. my experience with picklex and welding has all been on old, hard to clean metal. i haven't been able to notice any real benefit in regards to bite or flow as it was tough welding no matter what. i tend to not use welding helpers, but do use the weld primer for lapped areas. will you do an accelerated aging process, or just do some other kind of destructive test on the coupons?
    b marler

Len,

What’s the shelf life if Picklex? I bought some from you at least 15 years ago, but it looks and smells the same.

Picklex uses phosphoric acid (verified by the MSDS) as the convertor agent , shouldn't have a shelf life. However, if it has had long term exposure to air it will degrade. When reacting with oxygen the acid turns to water and phosphate. That won't do anything for the rust. So, how good is the 15 year old bottle and seal? Try it on some rusty scrap, the rust should turn black (converts to rust to iron phosphate).

Quote Originally Posted by 80grit View Post
    Len,

What’s the shelf life if Picklex? I bought some from you at least 15 years ago, but it looks and smells the same.
    I've never had Picklex go bad but if it's that old you should do some testing before using it. I'd take a piece of metal grind it clean, wet it and let it rust then apply some Picklex and see if it changes the rust.