TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mid range paint gun ?

Default mid range paint gun ?

Hi everyone,
    New here to the forum and painting for the most part. From canada
    Little background, Most of the painting I do is just to stop rust on farm equipment and using cheap implement enamel paints etc. Rustoleum/tremclad type stuff. Using cheap guns too. I painted a tractor that turned out ok but wanting to step up a notch or 2.

Working on fixing up and painting a 80s large farm tractor(allis chalmers) Stripping down to bare metal since the paint was mostly gone and rusted.
    I have bought omni single stage mtx and epoxy primer.

Just wondering about getting a midrange paint gun? Not looking to be painting all the time, just a few projects here and there. And from reading and searching previous posts on here, I should buy a cheaper gun for primer? If I do that I would likely use the cheap gun for spraying low quality enamel for when I'm not going after a premium finish..
    But what should I get for spraying the top coat on this tractor and future projects? I had thought about the 3m pps accuspray gun but from what I've looked into the gun isn't the best and the consumables add up. I liked the appeal of less cleanup but now it seems maybe ovverated?

And last, I understand just how dangerous the painting can be with urethanes/ hardener isocyantes. I would ideally get the hobbyair or similiar setup.. not sure what shipping to canada would be like on it.. and the exchange rate it adds up a bit more than i'd like. Npot that my health isn't worth it.
    Otherwise i'm looking into full face respirators, What would work best? 3m or north have lots of options and numbers. I'm planning on shooting the primer and paint in the spring when it warms up, I live in a rural setting and thinking of spraying outside.. (no neighbors near by to harm or cause issues making us diy painters look bad) If I'm outside and starting with new charcoal canisters and tychem suit.. I'm thinking I should be safe for the odd job I do.

thanks for any advice
    Nick

First the gun.... For your application I think the DeVilbiss Finishline that comes with a couple of different size fluid tips. I'd also recommend using the DeVilbiss DeKup system to make handling and cleanup a lot easier. I'd recommend the gun with the three fluid tips so you can spray primers and top coats with the same gun.

The DeKups come in different sizes, we use mostly the 9oz and 24oz cups but you might want the 34oz if you spray mostly large items. You can start with the "Trial Kit" to see if you like it.

As far as protection goes the supplied air systems are the best mainly because of the positive pressure in the mask. If you use a cartridge mask you need to generate negative pressure to pull the air into the mask and any leaks allow contaminated air into your lungs. However if you don't wear glasses and don't have a beard a cartridge mask can work if you get a good fit. Spraying outdoors is safer than standing in a cloud of overspray and a cartridge mask can help protect you but I'd recommend a full face mask.

Hobbyair LINK

Because of Covid 19 these types of masks are out of stock at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer888 View Post
    Hi everyone,
    New here to the forum and painting for the most part. From canada
    Little background, Most of the painting I do is just to stop rust on farm equipment and using cheap implement enamel paints etc. Rustoleum/tremclad type stuff. Using cheap guns too. I painted a tractor that turned out ok but wanting to step up a notch or 2.

Working on fixing up and painting a 80s large farm tractor(allis chalmers) Stripping down to bare metal since the paint was mostly gone and rusted.
    I have bought omni single stage mtx and epoxy primer.

Just wondering about getting a midrange paint gun? Not looking to be painting all the time, just a few projects here and there. And from reading and searching previous posts on here, I should buy a cheaper gun for primer? If I do that I would likely use the cheap gun for spraying low quality enamel for when I'm not going after a premium finish..
    But what should I get for spraying the top coat on this tractor and future projects? I had thought about the 3m pps accuspray gun but from what I've looked into the gun isn't the best and the consumables add up. I liked the appeal of less cleanup but now it seems maybe ovverated?

And last, I understand just how dangerous the painting can be with urethanes/ hardener isocyantes. I would ideally get the hobbyair or similiar setup.. not sure what shipping to canada would be like on it.. and the exchange rate it adds up a bit more than i'd like. Npot that my health isn't worth it.
    Otherwise i'm looking into full face respirators, What would work best? 3m or north have lots of options and numbers. I'm planning on shooting the primer and paint in the spring when it warms up, I live in a rural setting and thinking of spraying outside.. (no neighbors near by to harm or cause issues making us diy painters look bad) If I'm outside and starting with new charcoal canisters and tychem suit.. I'm thinking I should be safe for the odd job I do.

thanks for any advice
    Nick
    hey nick, sounds like you have an interesting project. some tractor restorers go to extraordinary lengths to produce some really amazing restorations. is this going to be a working tractor?
    i definitely would recommend getting two guns, and use the better gun for the top coats. seems like a lot of folks like the finishline series as a solid midrange gun. hopefully someone might chime in. and for primer almost any inexpensive gun will do the job, including the "gasp" harbor freight specials. most things are a get what you pay for thing, but there are some cheaper alternatives gun-wise that will do the job. i remember philv mentioning a cheaper gun he liked fairly well, maybe if he see's this thread he could mention it again.
    i'm not impressed with the accuspray gun, looks like trouble to me.
    and while i'll never not recommend a supplied air system, a good full face mask will probably work well for you especially since you're working outside or in a very large area. (barn or something) i use a good 3m full face mask and am very happy with it. get the extra stick-on window covers too, so you keep the original in good shape.
    we like pictures here, send some as you progress.

edit, looks we len and i were typing at the same time...
    b marler

I am in Ontario..

You mention tractors, farm equipment, we immediately think more viscous thicker paint ..

The best option is to buy a gun with 3 different t fluid tips and a separate primer gun..

Finish line with 3 tips from Len is a great choice...

Princess Auto has great mid range guns, Italian made, company ANI, their Anif 150 gun is awesome, good YouTube reviews..a.nd they have great primer guns as well, cheaper..i have their F series primer gun..and you can order different fluid sizes from UK store called spraygundirect..

You can find good deals on Kijiji, look for Tekna Devilbiss guns with multiple tips,lots of them around, ...one of the best proffesional guns made

On Amazon, you have Astro brand guns, Taiwanese, realllyyyy good stuff for cheap...

Quote Originally Posted by baubau View Post
    I am in Ontario..

You mention tractors, farm equipment, we immediately think more viscous thicker paint ..

The best option is to buy a gun with 3 different t fluid tips and a separate primer gun..

Finish line with 3 tips from Len is a great choice...

Princess Auto has great mid range guns, Italian made, company ANI, their Anif 150 gun is awesome, good YouTube reviews..a.nd they have great primer guns as well, cheaper..i have their F series primer gun..and you can order different fluid sizes from UK store called spraygundirect..

You can find good deals on Kijiji, look for Tekna Devilbiss guns with multiple tips,lots of them around, ...one of the best proffesional guns made

On Amazon, you have Astro brand guns, Taiwanese, realllyyyy good stuff for cheap...
    that astro gun looks really interesting. i wonder if there's a dekups adapter available for it. i could use another inexpensive gun for shooting straight enamel.
    b marler

Default Yes sir...

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    that astro gun looks really interesting. i wonder if there's a dekups adapter available for it. i could use another inexpensive gun for shooting straight enamel.
    Yes to another gun!

I still work a Rental Car fleet and on stuff that doesn't warrant bc/cc ends up with AE (acrylic enamel) and SO easy to shoot. Anyway, a few years back I bought a FINISHLINE from LEN as my dedicated AE gun. Never a problem and Len has every part for them. (IF anyone should ever need one)

Henry

Thanks for the replies, I'll have some things to look into now.

Len: just curious if you've shipped any hobbyairs to Ontario Canada? Just was wondering what an approx shipping charge is.
    I'd prefer to go that route, but like a lot of us I have a budget.. Not that i'm willing to sacrifice my health though. I may be able to borrow a air system that comes off the compressor through some filters but that kind of worries me too if the filters aren't good could end up breathing oil or something.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer888 View Post
    Thanks for the replies, I'll have some things to look into now.

Len: just curious if you've shipped any hobbyairs to Ontario Canada? Just was wondering what an approx shipping charge is.
    I'd prefer to go that route, but like a lot of us I have a budget.. Not that i'm willing to sacrifice my health though. I may be able to borrow a air system that comes off the compressor through some filters but that kind of worries me too if the filters aren't good could end up breathing oil or something.
    My guess is that it would cost about $80 to $100 to ship but I can give you a more accurate price on Monday if you email your address to me. You can send your address to sales@autobodystore.com and I'll contact the warehouse on Monday and let you know what they say.

How do you guys feel about the harbor freight guns? I use the Black Widow by Spectrum. I probably wouldíve bought something else because I know the quality of most products sold at harbor freight but this was a gift and I was pleasantly surprised with this gun. Iíve used a couple DeVilbiss guns and honestly I really havenít noticed much of a difference. Then again I probably havenít been painting long enough to know better. Just wondering what people with more experience think about this.

Quote Originally Posted by SFLAutoSurf View Post
    How do you guys feel about the harbor freight guns? I use the Black Widow by Spectrum. I probably wouldíve bought something else because I know the quality of most products sold at harbor freight but this was a gift and I was pleasantly surprised with this gun. Iíve used a couple DeVilbiss guns and honestly I really havenít noticed much of a difference. Then again I probably havenít been painting long enough to know better. Just wondering what people with more experience think about this.
    i use the hf guns for painting equipment and chassis parts. i'm sure i could get a reasonable topcoat finish with one if it was all i had. i prefer a better gun for top coating though, the atomization is so much finer.
    b marler

ALL spray guns will spray paint it's just a matter of how much you're spraying and the quality of the finish you're looking for. As with most tools "you get what you pay for".

For a mid-price gun the DeVilbiss Finishline guns do a decent job for the money but if you're trying to produce a high quality finish I'd recommend a Sagola 4600 .

Thanks for the recommendations guys. Think Iím gonna stick with the spectrum for the time being but Iím sure Iíll be looking at the sagola before too long. My neighbor has been watching my progress and he wants me to do his front bumper and hood so maybe I can get a new gun in the budget and keep the spectrum as a primer gun. 👍

I bought that Black Widow Spectrum from HF about 6 months ago and never used it. My son borrowed it a couple days ago to spray some single stage urethane single stage white paint. He said he loves the gun, worked great for him. The white went on like glass, no orange peel and no runs.

Keep in mind that I had my son pulling and repair dents in my shop when he was 5 years old so he's been around this all his life.

I have no doubt that the Black Widow Spectrum is a good shooting gun for the money (around $100). The only downside and a deal breaker for me is there are NO parts available for it I specifically asked the manager at HF about getting some gaskets for it and if any other parts were available. He respectfully told me that HF carries NO PARTS and never will. He said HF is in the business of selling guns, not parts. The best gun in the world isn't worth a damn if you can't get parts for it. On the flip side if you took good care of the gun and kept it clean you should get several years use out of it before any parts begin to fail. I read the HF Black Widow Spectrum is a Chinese copy of the Sata 5000. They are available in Compliant or HVLP. I chose the Compliant. The machining, fit and finish are great on that spray gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    I bought that Black Widow Spectrum from HF about 6 months ago and never used it. My son borrowed it a couple days ago to spray some single stage urethane single stage white paint. He said he loves the gun, worked great for him. The white went on like glass, no orange peel and no runs.

Keep in mind that I had my son pulling and repair dents in my shop when he was 5 years old so he's been around this all his life.

I have no doubt that the Black Widow Spectrum is a good shooting gun for the money (around $100). The only downside and a deal breaker for me is there are NO parts available for it I specifically asked the manager at HF about getting some gaskets for it and if any other parts were available. He respectfully told me that HF carries NO PARTS and never will. He said HF is in the business of selling guns, not parts. The best gun in the world isn't worth a damn if you can't get parts for it. On the flip side if you took good care of the gun and kept it clean you should get several years use out of it before any parts begin to fail. I read the HF Black Widow Spectrum is a Chinese copy of the Sata 5000. They are available in Compliant or HVLP. I chose the Compliant. The machining, fit and finish are great on that spray gun.
    will the sata 5000 gaskets fit it?
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    will the sata 5000 gaskets fit it?
    If they did it would probably cost more for the gaskets than it did for the gun.