TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Body lift info, bmarler, Len and others

Default Body lift info, bmarler, Len and others

I know several of you use an undercarriage body lift in your shop (bmarler and Len), I am looking for name brand and lift dimensions. My biggest concern is possible lift height, any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    I know several of you use an undercarriage body lift in your shop (bmarler and Len), I am looking for name brand and lift dimensions. My biggest concern is possible lift height, any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated!
    A couple years ago I purchased a scissor lift that has worked out great. It lifts to about 5' and can handle up to 6000lbs. The one snag I hit was that the lift is about 6" high when down and the low cars can hit the lift so I put a couple of 2X12 boards on the floor so the cars can clear the lift. The lifts with posts get in the way for body and paint work but are better for working under the cars. The scissor lift can be moved around if necessary but it's not easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    A couple years ago I purchased a scissor lift that has worked out great. It lifts to about 5' and can handle up to 6000lbs. The one snag I hit was that the lift is about 6" high when down and the low cars can hit the lift so I put a couple of 2X12 boards on the floor so the cars can clear the lift. The lifts with posts get in the way for body and paint work but are better for working under the cars. The scissor lift can be moved around if necessary but it's not easy.

So scissor lift collapsed is around 6" off floor and you simply drive vehicle onto the 2x12's to give you the extra 1.5" height needed for low riding vehicles correct? Sorry for all these questions but I only want to order this lift once. I've never order Harbor Freight tools but I'm thinking this might be the one occasion where this would work okay as I only need to raise a few vehicles per year at about 12-15" for shooting product and buffing. You have any experience with Harbor Freight tools of this sort? I can't do another post lift as my shop is not designed to handle one but a scissor lift would be perfect for what I need.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    So scissor lift collapsed is around 6" off floor and you simply drive vehicle onto the 2x12's to give you the extra 1.5" height needed for low riding vehicles correct? Sorry for all these questions but I only want to order this lift once. I've never order Harbor Freight tools but I'm thinking this might be the one occasion where this would work okay as I only need to raise a few vehicles per year at about 12-15" for shooting product and buffing. You have any experience with Harbor Freight tools of this sort? I can't do another post lift as my shop is not designed to handle one but a scissor lift would be perfect for what I need.
    That's right, I drive onto those 1 1/2" thick boards for my low riders. I purchased 4 of the 8' boards to drive up on then cut two of them down to 6' because I didn't need the 16' length. Once I get the car on the lift I can remove the boards if I want because I don't need them if the car is going to remain on the lift for a long time and I tend to trip over the boards.

That lift in the picture is exactly like mine and the only modification I made to it was to put the rams into cardboard tubes so that they don't get a lot of paint overspray on them. If I didn't have this lift I think I'd be retired by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    That's right, I drive onto those 1 1/2" thick boards for my low riders. I purchased 4 of the 8' boards to drive up on then cut two of them down to 6' because I didn't need the 16' length. Once I get the car on the lift I can remove the boards if I want because I don't need them if the car is going to remain on the lift for a long time and I tend to trip over the boards.

That lift in the picture is exactly like mine and the only modification I made to it was to put the rams into cardboard tubes so that they don't get a lot of paint overspray on them. If I didn't have this lift I think I'd be retired by now.
    Len,

Thanks Len, got mine ordered.

i see i'm late to the party again. my lift is an old aamco unit. it's a parallelogram lift and fairly low rise. (24 inches or so.) it was made to be bolted to the floor but i modified it so i could move it around and use it without a permanent installation. mine is about 4 inches tall when collapsed and uses the regular round drop-in pegs to adjust for different height frames. also has positive stops at different heights. i actually like it quite well.
    that said, if i were to do it over, i'd get the scissor type like len uses. they are so much more compact, and have higher lift capacity. in fact, i might build a scissor frame and put hydraulic quick connects on my power unit so i can use either style.
    anyway, let us know how you like the one you bought.
    b marler

Being in USA, you have plenty of options and choices regarding this type of scissor lift...

I would always go for North American built one or something Taiwanese of better quality and thicker steel..web research, forums and reviews help with this, plenty of YouTube reviews..

Buying cheap is not recommended here..

I own my shop and work by myself and i have 2 lifts and will get a 3rd one, another sscissor type bcs 4 post lift or 2 post lift is difficult to work around except for front end collision..

It improves my efficiency by at least 20 25 percent instead of working in the shop floor

Why 3?..like Len says, it will HELP tremendously, save time, save your joints, it makes me money in spring and winter when I do quick tire changes

I have Italian Euro made Ravioli scissor lit drive over style rates for 3200 kg or 7000 lbs...drive over lift doesn not require wood or some other platform to drive over ti raise the car....it has some disadvantage when working on rocker panels as it is too close to the ramps..

I can get scissor lift type like Lens for $1700 Canadian, but I am looking to spend more, maybe Atlas brand or something stronger..

This one, I will cut out my shop cement floor so it is level with the floor and you just drive over it...it is a project, few days, the only issue is the drainage if water and melted ice that has to be done perfectly..

Costco has good portable units called Quick jacks, they don't go too high....my friend has a pair rated for 7000 lbs for his pickup...it works well

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    i see i'm late to the party again. my lift is an old aamco unit. it's a parallelogram lift and fairly low rise. (24 inches or so.) it was made to be bolted to the floor but i modified it so i could move it around and use it without a permanent installation. mine is about 4 inches tall when collapsed and uses the regular round drop-in pegs to adjust for different height frames. also has positive stops at different heights. i actually like it quite well.
    that said, if i were to do it over, i'd get the scissor type like len uses. they are so much more compact, and have higher lift capacity. in fact, i might build a scissor frame and put hydraulic quick connects on my power unit so i can use either style.
    anyway, let us know how you like the one you bought.

Marler,

Your not late to the party and your advice is always welcome. What sold me on obtaining the same scissor lift as Len was it's portability. My old shop was on commercial property with a sizable building and 2 post lift. When I elected to built my current shop at home (wife loves me for this) 6 or 7 years ago the city restricted my building height and size which has greatly hampered what I envisioned. You would think 1-1/2 acre lot would be plenty of room for a sizable shop, geez. I've had to adapt to my needs, but it is nice having my shop at home. Basically I only want the lift to assist in painting and color sanding with the availability to pull the lift onto the shop apron for extended lift and work. As always I appreciate your input.

My brother has one of those scissor lifts. He added a quick connect set of fittings to the hose that runs from the pump to the lift. Once it is in the air and locked in place he can disconnect the pump and hoses and move that out of the way. No tripping that way.
    Building my dream one piece at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Marten View Post
    My brother has one of those scissor lifts. He added a quick connect set of fittings to the hose that runs from the pump to the lift. Once it is in the air and locked in place he can disconnect the pump and hoses and move that out of the way. No tripping that way.
    Yes, that's a good idea that would work if you're going to leave the vehicle in one position for a while but, most of the time, I put it up and down as I work.