TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Blending Glasurit 90 line

Default Blending Glasurit 90 line

Just finished repairing a panel in which I will be shooting and blending a Glasurit 90 bc. Initial bc repair will be shot to TDS. As I don't shoot a lot of Glasurit I need a starting point for % of over reduction when I start my 2nd coat of Royal Blue base.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    Just finished repairing a panel in which I will be shooting and blending a Glasurit 90 bc. Initial bc repair will be shot to TDS. As I don't shoot a lot of Glasurit I need a starting point for % of over reduction when I start my 2nd coat of Royal Blue base.
    I shoot a lot of Glasurit 22 and 55 line but never did any 90 line so I can't help but I've heard good things about their waterborne products.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    I shoot a lot of Glasurit 22 and 55 line but never did any 90 line so I can't help but I've heard good things about their waterborne products.
    My bad, shooting Glasurit 55. Had just been talking to my jobber about future projects who has been trying to get me too start spraying some waterbornes, mainly Glasurit 90. Not going to do waterbornes any time soon if ever.

My bad, shooting Glasurit 55. Had just been talking to my jobber about future projects who has been trying to get me too start spraying some waterbornes, mainly Glasurit 90. Not going to do waterbornes any time soon if ever.
    When I blend 55 line I normally sand beyond the area to be cleared with 1500 or 2500 depending if the color is a metallic or not. Spray color until covered then over-reduce it and extend the area. Applying clear I normally spray one coat, allow it to flash, respray and extend the area then over reduce the clear and extend the area and immediately dump the remaining clear and put in a little straight reducer and spray the dry edge. The sanding scratches should extend beyond the cleared area and can be polished out after the paint hardens.

When I blend 55 line I normally sand beyond the area to be cleared with 1500 or 2500 depending if the color is a metallic or not. Spray color until covered then over-reduce it and extend the area. Applying clear I normally spray one coat, allow it to flash, respray and extend the area then over reduce the clear and extend the area and immediately dump the remaining clear and put in a little straight reducer and spray the dry edge. The sanding scratches should extend beyond the cleared area and can be polished out after the paint hardens.
    Len,

Everything you advise is exactly how I do blends when using PPG. However, I don't spray Glasurit that often and just need a starting point for the 2nd coat of over reduced bc. I'm thinking 20% over TDS? I mentioned Royal Blue as I usually over reduce my blends according to color, anywhere between 10 and 20% and on occasion 30.

Len,

Everything you advise is exactly how I do blends when using PPG. However, I don't spray Glasurit that often and just need a starting point for the 2nd coat of over reduced bc. I'm thinking 20% over TDS? I mentioned Royal Blue as I usually over reduce my blends according to color, anywhere between 10 and 20% and on occasion 30.
    Yes that sounds about right but the 55 Line covers very well and you may need to over-reduce it more for a second blend coat extension.

Yes that sounds about right but the 55 Line covers very well and you may need to over-reduce it more for a second blend coat extension.
    Thanks Len,

This gives me my starting point, can always add and extend out reduced coats

Thanks for the help Len. Shot the door/fender blend. Car just got trailered and off to a show (talk about nervous during loading with a few hours set time, geez). Time for a beer.

Thanks for the help Len. Shot the door/fender blend. Car just got trailered and off to a show (talk about nervous during loading with a few hours set time, geez). Time for a beer.

Did you put a heat lamp on it?

Did you put a heat lamp on it?
    I used a similar set up but much older equipment. Thank you for your help.