TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Paint bubbles

Default Paint bubbles

Does anyone know what would have caused this? Itís a new paint job bubbles showed up around a week or two after painting. Material was stripped to bare metal. I used rage gold ultra topped with Evercoat Super build. Final prime was Medallion 2K. Paint was Chroma base with Chromaclear. Initially I thought it was in the clear sanded it smooth and re-cleared and two weeks later they came back. Whole car got the same treatment but the issues are only on the hood.

Most likely moisture.
    Did the filler get wet?
    (It's real hard to get filler dry once it gets wet)

could be moisture in the air line too. do you use a good desiccant filter?
    b marler

Yes the air is filtered. Moisture could be possible. My guess is maybe during wet sanding some areas could have rubbed through the primer a little.

One other thing, did you wipe down the filler with wax and grease remover or any other type of cleaner? Water isnít the only liquid that goes into filler. Iím not saying you did that but just for anyone reading the post all liquid needs to stay away from filler before it gets covered with surfacer and after that any wet sand through exposes the filler to sponge up the liquid.

Bob K

Quote Originally Posted by breegs View Post
    Does anyone know what would have caused this? Itís a new paint job bubbles showed up around a week or two after painting. Material was stripped to bare metal. I used rage gold ultra topped with Evercoat Super build. Final prime was Medallion 2K. Paint was Chroma base with Chromaclear. Initially I thought it was in the clear sanded it smooth and re-cleared and two weeks later they came back. Whole car got the same treatment but the issues are only on the hood.
    I tried to download and look at your pics, the only thing I could see is orange peel but pics were grainy when blown up. I've never heard of air bubbles showing up on a bc/cc a week+ later after shooting a project. Maybe you could explain a little more about your application i.e., number of coats per each material shot, type of gun and tip size used. Did you follow TDS application for mixing and flash time between coats? How did you set your gun tip pressure? Was the hood shot in a separate environment from the body? Any way you could provide an extreme close up pic as to distinguish between fish eye, air bubbles and vapor pop?

I added one more photo itís difficult to get a good picture of it. I donít know the specifics of how it was painted. I did the bodywork but took it to a painter to have the car painted. I do know the underside of the hood and edges were painted first. Hood was put back on the car and painted with the car. Everything on the car is perfect just the hood has issues.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"I do know the underside of the hood and edges were painted first. Hood was put back on the car and painted with the car" This is the correct procedure to paint the car. Without more info or a good close up pic of the problem I personally couldn't say. However, it is weird that only the hood was effected if the spray out was performed in the same session, otherwise I would have thought other areas should at least showed some signs of the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    "I do know the underside of the hood and edges were painted first. Hood was put back on the car and painted with the car" This is the correct procedure to paint the car. Without more info or a good close up pic of the problem I personally couldn't say. However, it is weird that only the hood was effected if the spray out was performed in the same session, otherwise I would have thought other areas should at least showed some signs of the same problem.
    It could have been caused by handling the hood (to put it back on) then not cleaning it properly before painting.