TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: filler for plastic?

Default filler for plastic?

I bought one of those new 'car plastic bumper repair tools basically melting wire across the crack. for an atv repair. what can be used to fill in the space of the melted in staples?

There are plenty of flexible fillers out there.
    Here's one you can buy in the store for this forum.
    It works pretty good.

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/m...tegory_Code=FM

Plastic repair materials should be used when performing repairs on bumper covers. Body filler is also not designed to adhere to a plastic surface the way that it adheres to metal. Most plastics require an adhesion promotor to allow the plastic repair material to adhere to the surface.

I keep an old bumper cover around to cut off pieces to use as filler and I can cut large pieces out of curved areas to make a patch of the shape I need. I have 3 or 4 old broken headlights in storage too. There are a lot of shaped pieces that I can cut out and use to fill holes. I even have some packaging and such that I have in a box to provide a shape I may need. Handles made of PP are often found on boxes and cans. Like at Samís Club I found a PP handle holding 2 bottles of lemon aid together. They make excellent filler. Cut pieces and weld them into your holes. Start looking for PP in the stuff you throw into the trash and you will find a lot that can be used. Twist on caps are often PP. Most parts you find will have the identifying symbols in the recycling triangle on the hidden side.

Bob K

The type of plastic used on ATV's is not the same type of plastic used in car bumpers. Regular flexible filler will not adhere to ATV body plastics.

You are going to have a hard time finding any fillers that will work the ATV body plastics.

Phil, are you thinking of TPO on cars? I think that was on my 04 Trailblazer from the factory but when I did the build on it in late 04 I got a bumper cover from CertiFit and it was branded PP. That bumper was on the car from 2004 to 2019 when it got broken by hitting the concrete wall in a parking ramp. I replaced it with another PP from CertiFit for $65. Then this fall I got a 2015 Chevrolet 2500 HD that didnít have a direct front hit but a lot of the plastic on the grill and grill support was broken at the mounting tabs. Instead of paying $600 for all the broken parts I got a plastic welder and started playing around. That broken Trailblazer bumper was still behind the garage waiting to go to the dump so I practiced on it. A bit of a learning curve but it came out ok. I still junked it cause by then I had a new cover on the car and didnít want to do all the blocking and painting, but now Iím doing welding on a lot of plastic. PP seems to work on PE too so I use my scrap PP parts for repairs. I havenít tried ABS yet but plan to when I have something that needs fixing. Iíll try PP on it but if it doesnít work out Iíll get ABS rods.

Bob K

Quote Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
    Phil, are you thinking of TPO on cars? I think that was on my 04 Trailblazer from the factory but when I did the build on it in late 04 I got a bumper cover from CertiFit and it was branded PP. That bumper was on the car from 2004 to 2019 when it got broken by hitting the concrete wall in a parking ramp. I replaced it with another PP from CertiFit for $65. Then this fall I got a 2015 Chevrolet 2500 HD that didn’t have a direct front hit but a lot of the plastic on the grill and grill support was broken at the mounting tabs. Instead of paying $600 for all the broken parts I got a plastic welder and started playing around. That broken Trailblazer bumper was still behind the garage waiting to go to the dump so I practiced on it. A bit of a learning curve but it came out ok. I still junked it cause by then I had a new cover on the car and didn’t want to do all the blocking and painting, but now I’m doing welding on a lot of plastic. PP seems to work on PE too so I use my scrap PP parts for repairs. I haven’t tried ABS yet but plan to when I have something that needs fixing. I’ll try PP on it but if it doesn’t work out I’ll get ABS rods.

Bob K
    I have welded/melted in cracks etc in the "oily" type plastics and it worked OK. But I believe that no regular spreadable body filler or paint will stick to that type of plastic. (maybe some rattle can paint (?)

Cut-n-paste from the interweb - " ATV fenders typically consist of polyethylene (PE) and polypropylene (PP) materials. Polyethylene and polypropylene are considered oily plastic materials, or olefinic plastic materials. This type of plastic allows the dirt and mud to wash off, as well as prevent any paint or adhesives to fuse. "

If that type of plastic is rigid mounted where it can't flex then you might get some filler to stick some. But when that plastic panel flexes or bends at all the filler will come right off.