TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Painting Multiple colored stripes/graphics

Thumbs up Painting Multiple colored stripes/graphics

Hello all!!!
    I am ready to seal my project and want to spray two main colors, BC-CC, (tophalf-bottom half), and separate the two with freehand type striping.
    Needless to say I will be out of the recoat windows because of the time needed to lay out the striping.
    Will I need to scuff areas where I pass the recoat window, including the sealer???
    Also, how do the pros duplicate the same design from one side of the vehicle to the other?? When they freehand a pattern do they just freehand the second side and get is close to the first side?
    I did a project like this many years ago, that had only two colors and it came out nice, but I can't remember the steps I took. I don't recall scuffing, but I could be wrong..
    As always, I thank everyone for any and all suggestions...

Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    Hello all!!!
    I am ready to seal my project and want to spray two main colors, BC-CC, (tophalf-bottom half), and separate the two with freehand type striping.
    Needless to say I will be out of the recoat windows because of the time needed to lay out the striping.
    Will I need to scuff areas where I pass the recoat window, including the sealer???
    Also, how do the pros duplicate the same design from one side of the vehicle to the other?? When they freehand a pattern do they just freehand the second side and get is close to the first side?
    I did a project like this many years ago, that had only two colors and it came out nice, but I can't remember the steps I took. I don't recall scuffing, but I could be wrong..
    As always, I thank everyone for any and all suggestions...
    Yes once the base or sealer is out of the recoat window you should scuff it prior to applying more paint.

The professionals that stripe, that I know, usually lay a piece of tape close to where the stripe will go then use the tape as a guide but the tape doesn't come up against the painted stripe.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Yes once the base or sealer is out of the recoat window you should scuff it prior to applying more paint.

The professionals that stripe, that I know, usually lay a piece of tape close to where the stripe will go then use the tape as a guide but the tape doesn't come up against the painted stripe.
    Len, are the free hand paint stripers in New Jersey like they are here in Michigan ? All the ones I've met in the last 50 years (except one) had to be half in the bag (beer) or they couldn't draw a straight line to save their life. Watching one of those guys that are really good at striping is like watching poetry in motion. One of those gifts you are either born with ..... or not. I fit in the "not" category.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    Len, are the free hand paint stripers in New Jersey like they are here in Michigan ? All the ones I've met in the last 50 years (except one) had to be half in the bag (beer) or they couldn't draw a straight line to save their life. Watching one of those guys that are really good at striping is like watching poetry in motion. One of those gifts you are either born with ..... or not. I fit in the "not" category.
    Yep all freehand. I've been using the same guy for 30 years, he's a flyer and has a house and shop at the end of a runway where he paints and stripes cars and planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    i had to laugh a little when i read this. i have a friend here that does all the striping work for the local community, really talented guy. i was walking by my shop yesterday and he was out along side the building striping a guys suburban. big 'ol lit joint in his mouth, can of one shot and brush in his hands. these guys are all cut from the same cloth.
    b marler

The best striper I have seen was back in the late 70s-80s, drove a van pulling a small trailer with a plexiglass bubble that his german sheperd rode in. I can't remember his name but I watched him walk a nomad side once. He stood there looking at the side of the car while he loaded his brush and when got it loaded he just walked over and layed it on the car and walked about half the length of the car and stopped, loaded the brush again and laid the brush and walked the last half. He didn't use tape for a guide just free hand. When he went to the other side I looked at it from both ends and it was straight as could be with no variations in width that I could see. He's the only one I've seen that free handed and walked the side of a car like that. I'm sure there are others out there that are that good but I've not had the opportunity to see them. I love watching good stripers.