TheCoatingStore.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Refrigerated Air Dryer

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    Marler,

On your Dekups can you invert your gun 180 degrees and never miss a lick regardless of spray out length/time? On my 3M PPS system you have about 1-3 seconds of spray time when inverted before you hit dead air, almost like rattle can spray for clearing nozzle. Your Dekups may have the advantage if this is the case and something I need too look into. unfortunately all my gun adapters and back stock of liners/lids are 3M.
    like len says, you invert the gun to bleed the air out of the cup. from then on you can spray in any orientation you like. the liner just collapses inside the frame as the paint goes away. it's exactly like you were using a pressure pot. if i were you, i'd probably choose a gun to get an adapter for and get a starter kit and try it out. or if you want, i could loan you my sagola adapter and a frame and give you a couple of liners to give it a try. there two sizes of frames, a regular large cup size and a small for just a few ounces.
    when you're done spraying you block the nozzle with a rag and the liner re-inflates. then you can refill it and keep going. i keep a used one around for flushing thinner through the gun for the initial cleaning. they also have little caps to put over the hole in the liner for short term storage.
    i love the system, the inverted spraying is what sold me on it.
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    like len says, you invert the gun to bleed the air out of the cup. from then on you can spray in any orientation you like. the liner just collapses inside the frame as the paint goes away. it's exactly like you were using a pressure pot. if i were you, i'd probably choose a gun to get an adapter for and get a starter kit and try it out. or if you want, i could loan you my sagola adapter and a frame and give you a couple of liners to give it a try. there two sizes of frames, a regular large cup size and a small for just a few ounces.
    when you're done spraying you block the nozzle with a rag and the liner re-inflates. then you can refill it and keep going. i keep a used one around for flushing thinner through the gun for the initial cleaning. they also have little caps to put over the hole in the liner for short term storage.
    Another thing I like is that I can lay the gun down anywhere. If I'm not next to a gun hook and I have something that needs attention I can just lay the gun down, fix whatever, then continue.

Quote Originally Posted by S-C View Post
    Hi Ronf,

Very happy to hear you resolved the problem, OR DID YOU?

This seems to still be up in the air.

Yes, your filter assembly was contaminated with loads of particulates that you cleaned out and replaced the cartridge filter, but you make no mention of this debris ever making its way into your paint. You referred to the problem as solvent pop, so Iím thinking a dirty filter may not be the cause unless the filter was so dirty that it restricted flow to the air cap resulting in poor atomization with paint being laid down to heavy.

Thing is, you would have noticed the low psi at the guns regulator, yes?

Possible moisture in the line? I think that would have shown up immediately in the form of fisheyes?

If itís truly solvent pop, my understanding is the solvents are being trapped within for whatever reason and showing up later as they escape.

????
    Yesterday, after cleaning the dryer casing, replaced the dryer filter, blowing out reconfigured copper plumbing lines, installing new 1/2"-60' supply hose to gun as to eliminate all contaminates, I shot a single 12" x 48" test panel using the same 2 stage paint. I followed the same procedures (flash time and pressure settings) as previous test panels and it laid perfect with no air entrapment or possibly solvent pop. This was absolutely not fish eye. I am once again back on track in the booth, thank goodness. When I first pulled the dryer apart I noticed the foam pre-filter that wraps around inner spring and goes inside the main filter (see above pics), it would literally crumble at the slightest touch. So, I ran my borescope down the inside of old filter and found quite a bit of debris from both the foam pre-filter and copper corrosion on the inside of main filter. The newer model replacement air filter for my Deltech unit eliminates the need for a foam pre-fliter and spring (bet I know why now).
    Conclusion: If this was not the problem then I have no idea what it was, I just know it solved the problem. I do have my suspicions in that it relates to a half trigger pull in which to set up the 10 psi tip pressure vs free flow fluid viscosity (friction loss) but that is over thinking the problem, just glad I am back too normal

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    I only use DeKups and I normally turn my gun over when needed then pull the trigger until the air is out of the cup then continue spraying. After that I don't need to deal with air in the cup. I used 3M for a while but didn't like the way the adapter fastened to the cup.

Are you using 3M's original or their second type of adapter?
    Len.

I am using the original 3m PPS adapters.

Wow bmarler what a nice offer and I really appreciate it my friend! I am going to pick a few of my go to guns (bc and cc) and look for a starter kit as you suggested. I am guessing for starter kits you are referring to "hard cups, lids and liners" correct? As I just got a new Sagoloa 4600 and I like my Sata 4000b rp for clear I'll start with those. Thanks bmarler and Len for this feed back and advise, I really appreciate it!

Hi Ronf,

Again, thanks for all the detailed information you take the time to share.

Iím one to ask a lot of questions and always trying to analyze/understand these sometimes puzzling problems so I know how to address them when it happens to me.

I do have my suspicions in that it relates to a half trigger pull in which to set up the 10 psi tip pressure
    I too find the half trigger pull interesting and a little unusual.

I may be wrong about this but you can test it yourself. As you pull the trigger the air valve opens all the way during the first part of the pull and it is fully open before the needle moves to let the fluid flow into the air stream. Less than full trigger will starve the fluid but not the air. That will more likely lead to dry spray as the high volume of air to the limited fluid flow will cause a higher percentage of the reducer to evaporate before the paint hits the panel.

Bob K

Wow bmarler what a nice offer and I really appreciate it my friend! I am going to pick a few of my go to guns (bc and cc) and look for a starter kit as you suggested. I am guessing for starter kits you are referring to "hard cups, lids and liners" correct? As I just got a new Sagoloa 4600 and I like my Sata 4000b rp for clear I'll start with those. Thanks bmarler and Len for this feed back and advise, I really appreciate it!
    i was thinking a trial kit like this:http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/m...Category_Code=

that will let you try it without completely restocking your shop. i suspect you'll like it a lot.
    b marler

i was thinking a trial kit like this:http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/m...Category_Code=

that will let you try it without completely restocking your shop. i suspect you'll like it a lot.
    The only problem with that kit is that DeVilbiss doesn't make an adapter for DeKups so you would need to order it from me or Sagola.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    The only problem with that kit is that DeVilbiss doesn't make an adapter for DeKups so you would need to order it from me or Sagola.

i see. i got my adapters from you, i didn't know they only make adapters for their own guns.
    b marler

i see. i got my adapters from you, i didn't know they only make adapters for their own guns.
    DeVilbiss makes adapters for other models but not the 4600 so Sagola makes the DeKup adapters for that model.