TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Damage protection

Default Damage protection

So, a car I repainted a few years back got hit, dogleg of rear quarter, where I had welded in a patch then filled. Lasted great, looked great. Now I have bare metal and cracks. It's winter, therefore salt water. Is there anything I can do to prevent further damage from rust until I can fix it this spring. I fear rust in all those little cracks, and where it might be traveling to beneath the filler. I dont want a disaster come spring, and I don't want to apply something that could make the repair a disaster (like soaking with oil) Advice would be great. Thanks!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    So, a car I repainted a few years back got hit, dogleg of rear quarter, where I had welded in a patch then filled. Lasted great, looked great. Now I have bare metal and cracks. It's winter, therefore salt water. Is there anything I can do to prevent further damage from rust until I can fix it this spring. I fear rust in all those little cracks, and where it might be traveling to beneath the filler. I dont want a disaster come spring, and I don't want to apply something that could make the repair a disaster (like soaking with oil) Advice would be great. Thanks!
    If you just want to seal the surface until warm weather I would probably go over the area with some 80 grit paper then apply a layer of short strand fiberglass filler. When it comes time to do the repair you can grind off the filler layer then do whats needed to do the job properly.

Default Hmmmmm....

If it's too cold for you to do what Len suggests or you have no where to do it then I would sand away loose stuff and spray some ZERO RUST over the area: (Get it local or get it here!)

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/m...gory_Code=RCAC

Keep us posted. Sorry you had that happen.

Henry

I'll get some zero rust from your store, there's no way I can work with filler at this time. Thanks for the advice! Attached, you'll see the repair as done a few years ago, and the damage. The hit was very minor, the door pushed closed beyond its normal position just enough for the edge of the dogleg to get hit. This popped the filler. Door is totally undamaged. I was surprised how it appears the filler was not attached. See pictures please.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike

filler can pop off like that if either the sand scratch wasn't coarse enough, or you didn't press the filler into the scratch well enough, or there was some contamination or something.
    make sure you have at least 80 grit scratch and press the filler in firmly on the first pass.
    b marler

I'm thinking not enough scratch, as that is directly where the patch is. Where I ground the weld, and the existing panel, seems good. That spot was the center of the new metal! I wonder how much other not-enough-scratch areas I have on this car! Might hit a bump one day and lose all my filler work! LOL! THANKS!
    Mike

I'm thinking not enough scratch, as that is directly where the patch is. Where I ground the weld, and the existing panel, seems good. That spot was the center of the new metal! I wonder how much other not-enough-scratch areas I have on this car! Might hit a bump one day and lose all my filler work! LOL! THANKS!
    it's pretty surprising how well filler can stick to a car if the metal prep is good. when i was much younger i sculpted an entire rear quarter panel of a '68 camaro out of filler. ridiculous to think about now, but that filler held up to some pretty serious abuse.
    b marler

The whack was right on the edge, worst spot for testing the adhesion I would think. If not for the dent at the top of the arch, it would just be a grind and refill, refinish. But the damage is taking up more square footage than the original damage. What bothers me most is if I want it done right, then I have to blend up the quarter, into the door, then reclear the door and the entire quarter and up the C-pillar. Ha, my time is worth nothing. hahahaha. Daily driver, might just do nothing but keep it from rusting!
    Makes me sad, I was quite proud of this car when it was done!
    Mike

Default Yes sir...

The whack was right on the edge, worst spot for testing the adhesion I would think. If not for the dent at the top of the arch, it would just be a grind and refill, refinish. But the damage is taking up more square footage than the original damage. What bothers me most is if I want it done right, then I have to blend up the quarter, into the door, then reclear the door and the entire quarter and up the C-pillar. Ha, my time is worth nothing. hahahaha. Daily driver, might just do nothing but keep it from rusting!
    I remember this job when you did it. We were proud of how it came out as well. Never looked like it was damaged. Plus, the repair, in the damage new photo, looks pretty well tuned.

HEY, you'll get it back! It's boils down to a matter of time. Soon, this will all be in the rearview mirror of time! Keep us posted.

Henry

Looks like you’re ready to do your blend.

Please share once completed, I really enjoy learning what techniques work best for people when doing these repairs.

Car does look great!

Default TO: S-C...

Quote Originally Posted by S-C View Post
    Looks like you’re ready to do your blend.

Please share once completed, I really enjoy learning what techniques work best for people when doing these repairs.

Car does look great!
    I think what you replied to was earlier in the year when he did paint the car (2020). Now, for the left rear quarter we and he have to wait!

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    I think what you replied to was earlier in the year when he did paint the car (2020). Now, for the left rear quarter we and he have to wait!

Henry
    Lol... my bad, I thought he was just ready for paint.

I was going off this pic:

20170924_094836[1].jpg

i bet you will tear into it when time allows. the previous work looks to be very good and you were right to be proud of it. this is just one of those things that happen with a daily driver.
    b marler

Default No!

Quote Originally Posted by S-C View Post
    Lol... my bad, I thought he was just ready for paint.

I was going off this pic:

20170924_094836[1].jpg
    No, never 'bad'. Just as we read other posts we put ourselves 'THERE' and able to see what's going on. So many times, members have posted something and I wished I could pop over to see and help out.

I would have guessed as you did had I not seen his posts when he first repaired and painted this car. Have yourself a great weekend!

Henry

Thanks all for the help! Sorry to confuse with the pictures! BTW, I now have 2 daily drivers to fix this spring / summer. Attached is my wife's accord, put back together after she hit a deer. I removed and replaced the core support. It was cheaper getting an entire front clip instead of purchasing about 3269 bits of plastic, wiring, etc that is on these cars. No bodywork needed here, just paint the front and blend into the doors. Or just keep it this way. Car turns a lot of heads now! LOL!
    Mike