Thread: amount for coverage

Default amount for coverage

100 Series Solid Color Basecoat Clearcoat Car Paint Kits Low VOC
    Price:
    $309.99
    Item #: SGC100-BCCKIT-LOWVOC
    * Marked fields are required.
    100 Series Solid Colors

I'm painting a 72K5 Blazer inside and out.

Should I buy two of these kits or would it be close enough for the kit and another quart kit?

I am sure there are variables.

Scott

Default Questions....

Quote Originally Posted by Scott123 View Post
    Price:
    $309.99
    100 Series Solid Colors

Should I buy two of these kits or would it be close enough for the kit and another quart kit?

Scott

1. When you say "inside and out" are you just talking about the jambs or are you talking about the entire inside?

2. What type of color or coating will you be painting over?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott123 View Post
    Price:
    $309.99
    100 Series Solid Colors

Scott

There are so many variables to consider in a full paint job that have to be considered it would be difficult to estimate everything with the information you give. For instance, when speaking of "inside and out" and just as Len asks, what exactly are you covering? Besides the body itself, are the wheel wells, back side of fenders, underside of hood, engine compartment, inside trunk, dash, door jambs, etc. to be painted? This list can go on for quite a bit. Other variables include small incidental parts to be painted such as reveals (garnish moldings) and how well the products themselves cover. I have shot 2 stage bc paints that required as much as 4 coats of base to get the finish correct. When I estimate products needed for a full paint job I always take the approach "is there a jobber available at midnight if I come up short"? Believe me when I say it is not unusual to be finishing up in the late hours when you consider you may be applying as much as a dozen plus coats of product, in a single day session, that consisting of sealer, bc, cc, all the while waiting on flash times between coats. My advice is talk to the supplier about these specific products for coverage after you have complied a list of all parts and areas to be shot as you don't want to come up short in the late hours of a full shot or just buy 2 full kits as an insurance policy.

It will be everything. Inside the cab area, inside the bed sides, the bed floor, inside of the tail gate, the insides of the front fenders, underside of the hood....pretty much everything.

it is in primer now.

I have not chosen a sealer.

I was trying to get a general idea of how much paint would be needed.

I am actually trying to talk myself out of doing it, as much as I want to, and paying a professional.

I bought the Blazer after it was put back together after a frame off. Really the only thing it needs is paint. It is actually too nice for me to attempt as I am not a professional.

Sort of debating. Trying to get my ducks in a row.

Scott

I would advise getting a quart of base coat from a local body shop supplier and go to painting the interior and underside of panels you have. Make it a separate job and see how far a quart goes. Clear coat that paint and then sit back and evaluate the area covered and compare it to the outside surface area that remains. That will give you a better idea of how much more paint you need. Then go ahead and buy paint for the outside from the same shop and try to do it all in one session if you can.

Bob K

Quote Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
    I would advise getting a quart of base coat from a local body shop supplier and go to painting the interior and underside of panels you have. Make it a separate job and see how far a quart goes. Clear coat that paint and then sit back and evaluate the area covered and compare it to the outside surface area that remains. That will give you a better idea of how much more paint you need. Then go ahead and buy paint for the outside from the same shop and try to do it all in one session if you can.

Bob K
    Again, I'm with Bob on his advice. One of the problems with buying cheap paint is in most cases "paint kits" have very poor coverage (kind of like Omni metallic paints) and are bought online for a lucrative price. Another name for cheap paint.

I agree with Bobs advice for another reason also. You doing the interior spraying will allow you to get your feet wet spraying the paint and give you a better vantage point of do you want to spray the outside of the Blazer or pay someone else. That is a very nice Blazer and potentially worth a considerable amount of money. From that point alone you might be better off paying a pro to paint the outside of truck. If you're not a well experienced paint you could end up paying more for materials (respraying screw ups etc) than it would cost to pay a pro painter to start with. My suggestion is to shop around and find a pro painter that paints on the side. Which would cost a lot less than a commercial paint shop.

As the 72' Blazer will be painted inside and out it will take more than 1 paint session and I suspect as many as 2-4. You have been given some great advice on how to proceed. What you also need to consider is the sanding and prep work on the vehicle as it sits. At minimum the current primer state will need to be sanded as to accept a mechanical bond of the finishing coats. I never final sand my primer parts or car that sit in epoxy until I am within a few days of painting as to eliminate current surface contaminates prior to painting. If you are an avid classic car owner who enjoys the challenge of a build or just want to save the expense of a full custom paint job, then I say go for it as there will be people here to help you IF you are lacking the knowledge. If you feel this is beyond your experience, required equipment or the time you want to spend in completing this project as it deserves then you would be better off taking phil V advice and hire a professional. That 72' Blazer restored carries a premium value if done correctly.

As always, Bob K gives excellent advice on his approach, just remember you will want some product left over for touch ups down the road or at minimum store your paint codes in a secure location.
    Last edited by Ronf; 01-02-2021 at 04:49 PM.