Thread: Question on which comes 1st primers or fillers after patch panels are welded

Default Question on which comes 1st primers or fillers after patch panels are welded

Project is body off 70 chevy pickup. Recently replaced rusted out floor with a 1 piece, cab corners, outer rockers lower part of the pillar's seams are all now welded in.
    My question is I'm looking to use either tiger hair or body filler to blend repaired area's in.
    I'm hearing epoxy 1st or self etch then move to fillers.
    Bare metal on both sides of welded area is what I'm looking to finish out for now and then get it covered in something to get it sealed up so weather won't affect it as we then move on to the box as working space is tight inside this winter.

I already have epoxy primer ,self etch, tiger hair and rage filler just not sure on correct order.
    Sorry for long post....
    Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by rb69 View Post
    Project is body off 70 chevy pickup. Recently replaced rusted out floor with a 1 piece, cab corners, outer rockers lower part of the pillar's seams are all now welded in.
    My question is I'm looking to use either tiger hair or body filler to blend repaired area's in.
    Bare metal on both sides of welded area is what I'm looking to finish out for now and then get it covered in something to get it sealed up so weather won't affect it as we then move on to the box as working space is tight inside this winter.

I already have epoxy primer ,self etch, tiger hair and rage filler just not sure on correct order.
    Sorry for long post....
    Thanks!!
    If we have seams that can possibly leak we normally apply epoxy primer (brush or spray) on the seams before we apply fiberglass filler. Normally on areas of bent metal without seams we apply our filler directly to the metal.

Default Yes sir...

Sorry for long post....
    Thanks!!
    As Len says and the tiger's hair would be the first choice of filler over the repair. Then, you can fancy it all up with the RAGE. Check often to be sure no water, snow or other moisture is leaking inside. If so, you would need a waterproof "breathable" car cover. Keep us posted and have fun!

Henry

Thanks for all the info!!

Thanks for all the info!!
    On more thing, we almost always use either short strand or milled fiberglass paste and not long strand because the short strand goes on more smoothly. The long strand is usually for fiberglass repair.

Thanks Len!!
    Knew I had some ,but was long strand. Stopped and picked up short.

Thanks again!

Sorry for long post....
    Thanks!!
    Never any fillers over self etch/acid etch primer. Not designed for that use. One more thing that stood out for me was you mentioned tiger hair. Technically tiger hair is chopped fiberglass strands that are mixed with fiberglass resin. I'm guessing your reference to tiger hair is short strand or long strand filler that comes in a can and is hardened with regular "bondo" (generic term) hardener.

The only filler I put over epoxy primer is fine milled finishing putty. Any other fillers go over bare metal that has been roughed by with a grinder to give it better adhesion. I know it is acceptable to do it both ways. I just prefer bare metal.