TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Drill bits

Default Drill bits

I know this is not paint related. If you work on cars you will need drill bits. Iím tired of Harbor Freight drill bits. Looking for a set thatís made in the USA. I donít have a drill press so I have to use a hand drill.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockcrawler View Post
    I know this is not paint related. If you work on cars you will need drill bits. Iím tired of Harbor Freight drill bits. Looking for a set thatís made in the USA. I donít have a drill press so I have to use a hand drill.
    This is another situation of "let your wallet be your guide". If you want the best then buy USA made cobalt bits. I think the best bang for buck is USA make high speed steel drill bits. I never had an luck with titanium nitride coated drill bits (you know, the yellow ones). The seem to dull just as fast as those without any "coatings".

Default M42 Cobalt bits

I only buy M42 cobalt bits. I get them from a company called Drill Hog. They carry a life time warranty regardless if they break or dull, you pay shipping. I have sent a few back that broke (even told them upfront I was probably getting too aggressive) and they still replaced them for free. Cobalt bits are top grade and long lasting but it does help to understand cutting speeds and IPM with the bits if you don't. Nothing worse than dulling a bit when a replacement is not on hand.

Default Yes sir...

Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    This is another situation of "let your wallet be your guide". If you want the best then buy USA made cobalt bits. I think the best bang for buck is USA make high speed steel drill bits. I never had an luck with titanium nitride coated drill bits (you know, the yellow ones). The seem to dull just as fast as those without any "coatings".
    Have to agree there, Phil and I think the operative word in what you said was "coated" plus the quality of the steel and build of the drill.

So maybe it may cost a little more for the better quality but it's nice to get the job DONE and drills cut as they should. Many times it boils down to spend the money up front or pay later (like in the middle of a session on your project). Keep us posted.

Henry

A lot of my work is drilling out steel doors for hardware installation. Get the cobalt bits. Pricy but work great. Watch your drill speed. Slow is good. The biggest enemy is heat, the faster you go the faster the bit will dull. I sharpen mine as well but they don't last as long as the original grind
    Building my dream one piece at a time.

I've spent up to $200 for the proper drill bit before. Really ticked me off when I shattered it too.

Look for industrial tool supply places. Like Western Tool, Aronson Campbell, MSC Industrial.

Get good, general purpose drills, I like the short screw machine drills in HSS Cobalt for my general purpose drill.

Think brands like Precision Twist Drill, Cleveland, American Twist Drill.

I have a ďDrill DoctorĒ that Iíve had for many years. It works well and itís easy to keep the bits sharp. I have even re-sharpened bits that were broke completely in half.

Itís nice to have especially when youíre in the middle of a project, the bit goes dull, or breaks, stores are closed and itís your only bit of the correct size!

Thanks for all the help