TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Stud welder

Default Stud welder

Hey guys,

I am considering buying a good quality stud welder (pin welder) for autobody work. I only do the work as a hobbyist, but I appreciate good quality tools. As such, I am not interested in the harbor freight unit. I have used it, and it does a decent job, but I have used nicer ones I like better. That said, I don't want or need to spend thousands on this purchase.

I have been looking at the H&S and Motorguard ones in the $200-$400 range. Does anybody have an opinion on either of these units or some advice on something else I should be considering?

Let me know what the collective mindset is!

John

Quote Originally Posted by Jkesselr View Post
    Hey guys,

I am considering buying a good quality stud welder (pin welder) for autobody work. I only do the work as a hobbyist, but I appreciate good quality tools. As such, I am not interested in the harbor freight unit. I have used it, and it does a decent job, but I have used nicer ones I like better. That said, I don't want or need to spend thousands on this purchase.

I have been looking at the H&S and Motorguard ones in the $200-$400 range. Does anybody have an opinion on either of these units or some advice on something else I should be considering?

Let me know what the collective mindset is!

John
    I've been using and selling the HS stud welder for about 15 years and it's never missed a beat. HS has a couple different combinations you can check out at the link below. If you go with the "Starter Kit" I'd recommend also getting the "mini puller" added to your order.

I got an HS UniSpotter#9000 from Len many years ago and I am still using it and like it. Just last week as a matter of fact. One thing to remember with all pin spotters is that you burn the paint or primer on the back side of whatever you use it on. Just get a little cavity wax or primer on that burn area to help prevent rust. That little mini puller Len mentioned came with mine and I love it for small repairs. It’s so easy to over pull with the slide hammer on a small dent but the big hammer is great for large deep work.

Bob K

Default Oh YES!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    I've been using and selling the HS stud welder for about 15 years and it's never missed a beat. HS has a couple different combinations you can check out at the link below. If you go with the "Starter Kit" I'd recommend also getting the "mini puller" added to your order.

This is one tool that pays handsomely for itself. I bought mine MANY years ago to try on a damaged nose car I bought at auction. Alternative was buy a hood and two fenders - but the damage was so slight.
    I used the Stud Welder and worked out ALL the damage PLUS put $50 back in my pocket of what repair parts would have cost.

This tool is a no brainer to OWN! Just my 2 cents. Keep us posted.

Henry

Awesome, guys! Thanks for the quick responses. When I was looking there was like a 4500 and 5500. Any thoughts on which is the better bet for a guy like me?

I actually have 2 of the HS pullers. I use one for pulling and the other for shrinking (you will need a shrinking tip). This set up keeps me from changing tips during repair. Not sure of my models but I would think either model would do just fine.

I have the H&S 9000 Pro kit that I bought at a pawn shop for $100 at least a dozen years ago. The stud welder is a tool i couldn't do body work without

My suggestion is let your wallet be your guide. Buy the most expensive stud welder you can afford and are able to justify the cost.

Thanks for the feedback guys! I like the idea of having two, but being a weekend warrior, I don't know that it makes a ton of sense for me. As for buying a good machine, cost isn't so much the consideration, within reason. They seem to run in the $200-$500 range, which I am fine with. Just don't know how deep into that range I should be. Don't want to buy a bunch of stuff I will never use, but also don't want to end up spending more in the long run because I chose not to buy a more advanced kit.

Thanks for the feedback guys! I like the idea of having two, but being a weekend warrior, I don't know that it makes a ton of sense for me. As for buying a good machine, cost isn't so much the consideration, within reason. They seem to run in the $200-$500 range, which I am fine with. Just don't know how deep into that range I should be. Don't want to buy a bunch of stuff I will never use, but also don't want to end up spending more in the long run because I chose not to buy a more advanced kit.
    The starter kit will work for you but you should also get the shrink tip and the mini-puller. But you should also know that the starter kit has less power than the HS9000.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    The starter kit will work for you but you should also get the shrink tip and the mini-puller. But you should also know that the starter kit has less power than the HS9000.
    I agree, the "T" handle puller is a necessity. I have used the shrinking tip a few times but I still prefer the oxy/acetylene torch for shrinking.

I don't want or need to spend thousands on this purchase.
    Hi John,

I feel like a caveman sharing this, but should you happen to already have a mig welder then you can simply tack some finish nails to the problem area and use vice grips with slide hammer to pull with.

Probably a little more time consuming but gets it done.

Default Well...

Quote Originally Posted by S-C View Post
    Hi John,

I feel like a caveman sharing this, but should you happen to already have a mig welder then you can simply tack some finish nails to the problem area and use vice grips with slide hammer to pull with.

Probably a little more time consuming but gets it done.
    While you are right, I would NEVER give up my Stud Welder. SERIOUSLY, it cost me NOTHING and keeps adding money to my pocket and I've rigged up several ways to "gang pull" multiple studs which pop off CLEAN with no grinding of the metal the stud was welded to. There is so much more to these great tools. (Thanks Len!!!)

Henry