TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Covering car with plastic , danger?

Default Covering car with plastic , danger?

So I am doing this resomod and will be painting everything in Pieces. Using the best black single stage. Question is the car needs to be worked around and stored as I am completing items and assembly. Love the painters plastic but have never covered a fresh paint job with it for more than a few hours. Any harm in covering the car and hood, trunk lid as I do other things to keep dirt off the pieces? I once covered a Camero I painted and know I had a little moisture still on car and I had bad spots all over I had to buff out. So I have learned never cover a wet car even for few minutes. Whatís everyoneís opinion.

This just came up for me a couple of months ago. Iím working on a pickup and have it parked along the sidewall of my shop. The hood, grill and bumper are off the truck. I also need to walk to the end of the shop to tune the furnace on every time I want to work out there. Twice I ran my shoulder into the pointed end of the left fender and it hurts so I got a quilt out of storage and placed it over the engine fender and windshield. Itís soft so if I bump the truck a little I wonít hurt the paint or the glass. Best of all the fender wonít hurt me.

Bob K

Quote Originally Posted by dhenkel View Post
    So I am doing this resomod and will be painting everything in Pieces. Using the best black single stage. Question is the car needs to be worked around and stored as I am completing items and assembly. Love the painters plastic but have never covered a fresh paint job with it for more than a few hours. Any harm in covering the car and hood, trunk lid as I do other things to keep dirt off the pieces? I once covered a Camero I painted and know I had a little moisture still on car and I had bad spots all over I had to buff out. So I have learned never cover a wet car even for few minutes. Whatís everyoneís opinion.
    If I want to cover a new paint job with plastic I usually put a sheet down first then plastic on top. You can also use towels or any cloth that can help keep the plastic from marking the new paint.

Default bed sheets

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    If I want to cover a new paint job with plastic I usually put a sheet down first then plastic on top. You can also use towels or any cloth that can help keep the plastic from marking the new paint.
    Exactly how I do it. Several years back I went on Amazon and found king and queen size single flat white sheets for cheap and bought a few dozen. My wife thanked me as I quit stealing her older bed sheets. I follow the sheet cover with autobody plastic cover that my jobber sells me. Since obtaining these sheets I wash and store them after each use for just this purpose. If you go this route, wash and dry the sheets twice when you first get them and before using, you'll be glad you did.

I think this is what I bought, if not pretty similar;
    https://www.amazon.com/Flat-Sheet-Wh...7654452&sr=8-5

Default No off gassing worries?

So donít need to worry about having to let the new paint breathe?

Quote Originally Posted by dhenkel View Post
    So donít need to worry about having to let the new paint breathe?
    As long as the (good) paint has a couple days to breath it's normally safe to cover it with cloth and plastic.

I sheet my new paints 3-4 days after car has been sitting in good temperatures (70 degrees plus) and apply plastic after 1 week. I doubt I need to wait that long to apply plastic, just makes me feel better. I've done it this way for about 6-7 years and never had a single problem. I use too keep the new paint uncovered for 2+ weeks and then just cover the top of car, deck lid and hood with towels and apply auto body plastic over this but this tied up my booth too long as I don't always have enough shop space too keep it out of the environment.

Default of course!

Of course, plastic should be applied only after the paint dries. I did this in a wall work truck, after painting I waited for a few days and only then applied. Just of course you will spoil the coating. Although I know one guy and he thinks otherwise, but I never understood how he does.