TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Anybody ever converted a Drywall Lift into a paint stand for hood/doors/etc?

Default Anybody ever converted a Drywall Lift into a paint stand for hood/doors/etc?

Anyone ever converted a drywall lift into something that can hold doors, hood, fenders and/or other small bits?
    As a DIY'er, I can't afford a real paint tree.
    And I happen to already have one of those cheap yellow $150 drywall lifts like you see in the pic below.
    Maybe someone out there knows how to make use of the drywall lift's base and convert the arms for use with painting?

Untitled.jpg

It looks doable but it has its drawbacks. In your photo the jig on the right looks unstable because of the narrow wheel base. I have a few eye bolts screwed into the ceiling of my shop and I can hang things from them but I donít do it very often and Iíve never been happy with using them. It isnít a very good way to paint because the air blast from the gun swings hanging objects around. The same thing goes for the sheetrock jack if you use it to hang things. If you make supports that can lock your panel to the stem of the jack then yes it may work well but remember that jack works with a load that is balanced. There is no side thrust so it isnít tippy. If you limit your use of it to when you have enough weight on both sides to keep it stable it should work. Iíve been installing sheetrock on the ceiling of my shop and have the same jack. Never used for painting but Iíll keep it in mind and see if it fits my needs.

Bob K

Quote Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
    It looks doable but it has its drawbacks. In your photo the jig on the right looks unstable because of the narrow wheel base. I have a few eye bolts screwed into the ceiling of my shop and I can hang things from them but I don’t do it very often and I’ve never been happy with using them. It isn’t a very good way to paint because the air blast from the gun swings hanging objects around. The same thing goes for the sheetrock jack if you use it to hang things. If you make supports that can lock your panel to the stem of the jack then yes it may work well but remember that jack works with a load that is balanced. There is no side thrust so it isn’t tippy. If you limit your use of it to when you have enough weight on both sides to keep it stable it should work. I’ve been installing sheetrock on the ceiling of my shop and have the same jack. Never used for painting but I’ll keep it in mind and see if it fits my needs.

Bob K
    I have a bunch of ropes hanging from my 12' ceiling and I have a pole that I use to unhook the rope to bring them down for hanging parts for painting. In most cases I only use these ropes for hanging plastic bumper covers and if the air starts it swinging I give it a blast of air as it swings toward me to stop it then I continue spraying.

I have thought about doing exact same thing with drywall lift but my jobbers supplied me with Innovative Stand bumper tree....love that one..

It is stable so I can work in bumper easy, rotate it, wash it clean and move it into spray booth..saves hours..

I just got another Innovative Stand copy knock off

You can build those two holders in 2 pictures for cheap...
    There is a guy on YouTube that built that door holder..easy....

I am planning on building that one so I can move it...

Just use ingenuity and you can build them