TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Paint gun considerations.

Default Paint gun considerations.

I have a old Binks 2100 that I use for priming and have used on some of my motorcycle stuff.
    When I get to the final paint or even the large priming on my auto project is the Binks good enough or should I look at something else?

Default Hmmmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerbillz View Post
    I have a old Binks 2100 that I use for priming and have used on some of my motorcycle stuff.
    When I get to the final paint or even the large priming on my auto project is the Binks good enough or should I look at something else?
    Primer is normally not fussy of what gun is used with qualifications to tip size and the thickness of the primer. Rule of thumb is not to use your primer gun for EXPENSIVE top coat paint such as base coat and CLEAR COAT where you want the best finish you can get.

Not sure what your going forward usages will be with a finish gun but currently there is a special going on for a top line finish producing gun which I am linking below:

http://autobodystore.com/forum/showt...rchase-Special

Most of the pros on this forum have used or use this gun as their go to so have a look. Wishing you well on your project and keep us posted. Others will chime in on your BINKS.

Henry

Default Time for a change

Hi Soonerbillz,

I had the same dilemma & questions as you. I too have old Binks spray guns, model 18, model 19 & model 7. The model 7 was my favorite. The 19 was used more for Lacquer as was the 18, and the 7 was used more for acrylic enamel/ urethane. That 7 gun had a larger fluid tip/air cap that could put down some paint, but that was many years ago back when those guns were the shit and designed for the paint products of that era.

I havenít painted any cars in years, but now have a project to do on my truck and decided a new spray gun would be needed.
    Link to my truck project: A little advice from the auto body & paint pros

Paints have evolved considerably over the years since Iíve used them and so have the spray guns, so after some consideration I decided to pull the trigger on the Sagola 4600 Xtreme that Henry linked for you. I purchased mine last week as part of Lenís ďGroup Purchase SpecialĒ. Len was kind enough to set this up for all of us members wanting a GREAT spray gun at a reduced price.

So Soonerbillz, check it out, do some homework and you too will more than likely realize itís time to hang up your favorite gun of years past and try something new.

Hey, like Henry said, you can still use it for primer!

I have a Binks Model 18 that I have been using since 1984. It works fine for basecoat but not the best for clearcoat. I'm not personally familiar with the Binks Model 2100 so I did a little research on google. Binks made a bunch of different variations of the 2100 that were designed to spray everything from inks and dyes to high solids clearcoats/single stage urethanes. You need to find out exactly what the full model number of your gun is before anyone can offer advice for it's use.

Honestly I would not use that gun for spray a paintjob in basecoat/clearcoat on a full size car or truck. I would not hesitate to spray motorcycle parts including fairings and body plastics. It should work fine for that use. It would work fine for that job. If your gun is setup for spraying high solids like urethane clearcoats then it is a lot more versatile than to relegate it to a primer gun use. That gun is still being sold today in the $300 + range.

Find out exactly what fluid tip you have in your 2100 and which air cap you have. That will dictate what specific uses the gun setup is designed for.
    Get those numbers and come back. That way we can figure out exactly it's uses are.

I have sprayed urethane clearcoat with my Binks Model 18 on things like bumper covers and smaller parts (like motorcycle parts) and it worked fine.
    Will your 2100 spray as well as a $1,000 Sata ? NO it won't, but then you don't need a thousand dollar Sata to spray bike parts. Will your 2100 work fine for spraying your bike parts ? YES (if it has the correct fluid tip and air cap) and provided YOU the painter can make the gun do what you want to achieve a good paint job.
    My point is a thousand dollar Sata will give really bad results if the painter doesn't know what he (or she) is doing. Some people are inherently good at spraying paint. They figure out the situation and quickly learn to do good paintjobs. Other people will never be a painter regardless of what gun they have and how long they have been trying to spray paint. (just my observations of being around this stuff professionally for 50 years)

This Binks 2100 gun has a # 66 nozzle. It's real good at laying down primer and I've used it to spray enamel and industrial single part materials.
    I appreciate the responses.. I feel pretty confident with painting.. though I definitely am not a professional. I figured that (even though I have no real current experience with) the latest paints and material would be night and day different from the stuff I've used in the past. Accordingly I assume the guns would be as well.
    I have 0 experience with HPLV or LPLV systems or if they are even something I should concern myself with. I am reading and studying as much information as I can to get up to speed with the stuff I'll be using in my projects.. so all the help ya'll are giving is very much appreciated.

This Binks 2100 gun has a # 66 nozzle.
    Soonerbillz, Iím assuming youíre referring to the fluid nozzle being 66, if so, what you have is a .070, or 1.778 mm fluid tip.

What air nozzle or air cap is on it? 66S, 66SD, 66SE, 66SF, 66SK or?

Quote Originally Posted by S-C View Post
    Soonerbillz, Iím assuming youíre referring to the fluid nozzle being 66, if so, what you have is a .070, or 1.778 mm fluid tip.

What air nozzle or air cap is on it? 66S, 66SD, 66SE, 66SF, 66SK or?
    sorry.. yeah. It's a 66SD

I'm not savy enough to know really what these numbers mean..

Is this gun worth picking up for less than $200

Sata jet 2000 with a 1.4 head

SATA Paint Gun.jpg

SATA Paint Gun.jpg
    I have that exact gun, I use it for primer.

Default Who, What, Where ???

SATA Paint Gun.jpg
    First off, NEVER buy a USED spaygun online (EBAY) and the like - PLEASE!

Now, the only time you think of buying a used gun is from someone you know who uses it and perhaps is upgrading to something more top shelf (everyone graduates). BUT you need to KNOW who owns the gun, trust them, maybe even seen it in action (often get to squeeze the trigger to try it).

Many people work in bodyshops who sooner or later upgrade because 'we spend what we make' and newer is better, so...

That's about the only time I would suggest anyone 'consider' buying a used gun. Otherwise, for all you know someone may have run primer in a gun intended for good top coating of CLEAR and it's all nasty with traces of primer inside (hard to clean primer out) then use as a top coat gun.

So, $200 for a used gun that does not perform as a finish gun. Where's that leave you besides out of $200 and a fancy paperweight?

Hate to discourage you but I'll paint NO rosy pictures of something that can go very wrong for you.

Your results may vary (as they say)! Keep us posted.

(My bad - I never asked what you intended the gun for but don't want to see you get hurt. Take what I said and discard it if it does not fit this situation.)

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    I have that exact gun, I use it for primer.
    Ok.. it's local.. I'm going to see if I can snag it..
    Here are all the stuff I've accumulated over years.... I also have a buch of binks parts, tips and stuff
    Think maybe I'll just sell that stuff and buy a nice finish coat gun and that Sata..

sorry.. yeah. It's a 66SD

I'm not savy enough to know really what these numbers mean..
    Soonerbillz, Your 66 fluid tip along with the 66SD air cap is exactly the same setup thatís on my model 19 gun. I used it for mainly thinner viscosity paints such as reduced Lacquers. It can also shoot medium viscosity paint as long as it is significantly reduced.

The 66 fluid tip/66SD air cap made for a great all around gun for the era. Since itís a siphon feed gun it uses twice the air pressure to atomize the paint, not so with todayís gravity feed. It also produced more overspray do to the higher pressures.

I canít speak for the Sata, no nothing about them.

Wow.. ok Henry..
    Thanks..
    I'll look for something else.
    Keep in mind.. I'm likely going to be buying to a few projects going.. don't want to break the bank.

Wow.. ok Henry..
    Thanks..
    I'll look for something else.
    Keep in mind.. I'm likely going to be buying to a few projects going.. don't want to break the bank.
    That Sata 2000 was an excellent clearcoat gun and would still be a good gun today. $200 is more than a fair price for that gun.

It's not rocket science in checking out a used spray gun. 90% of the time the only real damage to a gun is if it's dropped and hits on the air cap/fluid tip. It will be obvious if you look at that area close focusing on the air gap between the fluid tip and the hole in the air cap. If the air gap is not equal around the fluid tip/air cap then it will not spray an even pattern. With a Sata that would be a serious deal breaker. The air caps and fluid tips only come in matching sets and they cost over $300. Also if the gun is dropped and hits on the air cap the threads on the air cap where it attaches to the gun body will be screwed up. Making it difficult or impossible to unscrew the air cap off the gun.

If I was looking to buy a used gun I would remove the air cap and inspect closely for any damage. Then I would unscrew the fluid tip from the gun and inspect that closely for any damage. While the fluid tip is off look at the fluid passage behind where the fluid tip screws on to see of the gun was cleaned properly and not accumulated paint and clear coat buildup. It could still be removed but it's a pain in the ass.

If you can't test the gun at the sellers garage or business the demand a guarantee that there is not structural damage to the gun. If the seller say's no then just walk away. If you can test the gun at the sellers place the put preferably some lacquer thinner or urethane reducer in the gun and do a spray out pattern on a piece of paper taped to something vertical. Make sure the spray patter is a cigar type shape even on both sides. Play with the fan adjustment to widen and narrow the spray fan. If it passes those tests then it should be a good spray gun.

Just know that that Sata NR2000 is at least 10 years old with several newer versions of Sata taking it's place.

I will say this to all novices -- If you plan on sticking with this hobby of automotive body and paint work for multiple years then go out and buy a good spray gun. Len sells the Sagola spray guns (made in Spain) and they are rated very high by the people who actually use them.

Default Hmmmm....

What Phil says bears merit, however, many people see the razzle dazzle of how online ads are written for used guns with a good price and your mind is made up.

Point being, I echo what Phil said but you CANNOT check these things out he mentions ONLINE which leads me to agree with his last paragraph of "buy a new gun" and the SAGOLA Phil talked about is currently on a GROUP SPECIAL by LEN through his outlet/manufacturer so check it out.

http://autobodystore.com/forum/showt...rchase-Special

Henry