TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Paint problem

Default Paint problem

Paint problem.jpg

Hi everyone - just wondering if anyone knows how to fix this? And what causes it?
    PS - Definitely, not my car but my Mazda 3 I recently painted has the same effect.
    Cheers!

Just a guess but it looks like someone stopped buffing before all the compound was used up and forgot to wipe the excess off. Maybe they are scratches left from the buffer. Out of ideas.

Bob K

Quote Originally Posted by Cariost View Post
    Paint problem.jpg

Hi everyone - just wondering if anyone knows how to fix this? And what causes it?
    PS - Definitely, not my car but my Mazda 3 I recently painted has the same effect.
    Cheers!
    Yes they are swirls left from buffing the panel with a rotary buffer. It shows up a lot more on dark colors and can be removed by using an orbital buffer. It can also be minimized by using a softer pad on the rotary machine along with a finer polish.

I had the same after buffing with the Step 1of 3M Perfect It. After buffing with step 2(swirl remover) with a foam pad it went away. V

Default Well...

Paint problem.jpg

Cheers!
    That's common when buffing with a wheel is either 'rushed' or just not done to completion. Although 3M was mentioned and they spend more on research than many of their competitors gross in annual COMBINED sales. However, I am NOT a fan of their compounds and the rest of their finishing products. Over several decades of doing so, I have found much better products to use that get the job done and don't forget to NOT overuse the wool pad. There is a time when to switch to a (aggressive) foam pad then on to a soft foam for final polish or swirl removal. Learn to let the compound, polish, glaze and assortment of pads do the job for you. It's much easier than having to go back and correct things. Keep us posted. Proper detailing is an art when done appropriately. You'll get there as will anyone who wants to put in the effort.

Henry

Paint problem.jpg

Cheers!
    Totally agree with what everyone here has said above, but:
    From the angle the pics were taken along with the lighting, it looks as though this could also be simply the detail wax used on the car. The angle & lighting is enhancing a poor detail job for sure.
    Looks as though someone quit before the job was completed.

Thanks everyone - you're right, it was with a rotary buffer - and I used: Maguiar's Ultra - Cut Compound followed with their Ultra Finishing Polish.
    I'll try a softer pad with some swirl remover and see what happens