TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: New to forum and body work

Default New to forum and body work

Hello
    I heard about this forum from my other forum, Vintage Mustang Forum. As you would probably guess I have a Mustang I'm working on. Its a 1966 coupe. Orignally had a 289 3 speed but a PO swapped it out for a 302 c4. Right now it is completely apart in my garage and I'm working on removing the many layers of paint. I think the car has been painted about 5-6 times. Anyway I'm looking forward to getting some tips and advice from this forum in my journey.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30122
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by mellis18 View Post
    Hello
    I heard about this forum from my other forum, Vintage Mustang Forum. As you would probably guess I have a Mustang I'm working on. Its a 1966 coupe. Orignally had a 289 3 speed but a PO swapped it out for a 302 c4. Right now it is completely apart in my garage and I'm working on removing the many layers of paint. I think the car has been painted about 5-6 times. Anyway I'm looking forward to getting some tips and advice from this forum in my journey.
    How do you plan on stripping off the old paint? We do it in two ways, either with a variable speed buffer with 80 grit disks or using chemical stripper.

nice to have you here. always good to see someone have a little fun and learn something in the mean time.
    what's the plan? stock, restomod, something else entirely?
    b marler

Default WELCOME!

Hello

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30122
    Welcome aboard. Several of our many members are MUSTANG people. One who may chime in is SamG a real 60's Mustang expert. One other is in the link below. This is a "Father & Son" Mustang build where I think every nut, bolt, weld was redone and a Turbo Toyota motor installed. This should provide you with LOTS to look at and this is their first attempt at autobody work:

http://autobodystore.com/forum/showt...-and-Son-Build

Keep us posted, glad to have you join us all.

Henry

Are you completely redoing everything(any rust issues) under side engine bay etc... Media blasting can be used on some of it but can warp the body panels.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    How do you plan on stripping off the old paint? We do it in two ways, either with a variable speed buffer with 80 grit disks or using chemical stripper.
    I am using both stripper and variable speed buffer with 80 grit. One question I have - should I remove the "filler" used to flatten panels (not rust repair areas) or leave it?

Quote Originally Posted by Metallic Mayhem View Post
    Are you completely redoing everything(any rust issues) under side engine bay etc... Media blasting can be used on some of it but can warp the body panels.
    Redoing everything inside and out plus engine rebuild. Need to replace two sheet metal areas, front floor pans where they turn to the firewall (common area) but otherwise underside is not in need of major rework. No media blasting. All paint and filler removal will be by stripper, buffer with 80 grit or by hand with blade.

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    nice to have you here. always good to see someone have a little fun and learn something in the mean time.
    what's the plan? stock, restomod, something else entirely?
    minor restomod - basically car will look pretty much stock but engine, suspension, steering and braking will have upgrades.

I am using both stripper and variable speed buffer with 80 grit. One question I have - should I remove the "filler" used to flatten panels (not rust repair areas) or leave it?
    If the filler is holding on well and not lifting around the edge I would just take off the top layer then, after stripping the panel, I'd reapply and level the filler before priming.

Progress is slow but steady. Finally bought some wheel dollies to make it easy to move car. Don't know why I didn't do this a long time ago. Looking at some of the filler used by POs it seems to be adhering to metal really well...no flaking and/or peeling. As suggested I'll sand smooth before epoxy primer.
    BE526676-7B57-4869-B894-78C6E037AD7F.jpg
    29098BCC-7662-4992-B138-302F1303BF85.jpg