TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4600 Sagola Xtreme

Default 4600 Sagola Xtreme

I just ordered the Sagola 4600 Xtreme with the 1.3xl tip and CC cap from Len for shooting metallic bc and am looking for a few pointers on initial set up. I am guessing full fan with initial pressure around 29 psi. What do you suggest for fluid flow? My normal set up is back fluid all the way out and turn inwards until trigger just starts to depress.

For tri-coats I usually shoot the mid coat (tinted cc) with my Sata 4000b rp, would the Sagola 4600 be a better choice for mid coating? Has anyone shot and compared the Sagola 4600 Xtreme to the Sata 4000 hvlp or rp (I have both), especially looking for transfer rate and idiosyncrasies between the two guns.

Ronf, that set up is a cannon, it is a firehouse..

I have 1.2 to 1.3xl fluid set up for two 4600 Sagolas and 3 aircaps, aqua, dvr and hvlp..

I believe 1.3 is all you need for Metallica, maybe even 1.2xl..

When I run 1.3xl with dvr for clear, I gone 1 3/4 fluidbtu4ns on fluid first coat and 2 turns on second...and I move fastttttt...

So be careful with fluid settings...

I love using 1.2xl tip with Aqua for waterborne and I like 1.3 fluid with Hvlp air cap...it uses a lot of air but it is the most efficient transfer air cap

Thanks baubau!

I am use to shooting base with a Sata 4000b hvlp (1.3) so I am guessing the Segola may run close to the same. Satas are known for tanking the product on, so maybe similar? That being said maybe for inter-coats the 1.3 would have been a better choice, I'll probably end up with all 3 tips in the end.

Regarding Sata....

The nomenclature may say 1.3 but the fluid size openings differ on Satas they tend to run bigger...

On my Sata 5000 s, both ro and hvlp in 1.3, they are noticeably bigger than Sagolq 1.3, I mean, rp is almost like 1.5 and hvlp is like 1.4 in devvilbiss or sagola probably..

So you really don't need 1.3 xl tip unless u plan on doing a some heavy heavy Metallica or a lot of complete paint jobs with clear where you want to load it up and 1.3xl is superb for that..

Default 4600 Sagola 1.2XL tip

Len,

Just placed an additional order for the 1.2XL needle/nozzle kit to go along with the 4600 Sagola gun I ordered from you (I know these won't arrive at the same time). As I have been shooting with the Satas 4000b hvlp for bc and 4000b rp for cc, I want to compare these two guns for finish and speed of application. My interest is in both panel repair and full car shots. On panel repair and SHOW QUALITY full shots I think it would be nice too slow things down a bit when comparing the speed of the Sata 4000 series. Is there any problem with shooting metallic base or mid coat (tinted cc w/pearl) using the 1.2XL Sagola needle/nozzle kit?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    Len,

Just placed an additional order for the 1.2XL needle/nozzle kit to go along with the 4600 Sagola gun I ordered from you (I know these won't arrive at the same time). As I have been shooting with the Satas 4000b hvlp for bc and 4000b rp for cc, I want to compare these two guns for finish and speed of application. My interest is in both panel repair and full car shots. On panel repair and SHOW QUALITY full shots I think it would be nice too slow things down a bit when comparing the speed of the Sata 4000 series. Is there any problem with shooting metallic base or mid coat (tinted cc w/pearl) using the 1.2XL Sagola needle/nozzle kit?
    You should be ok as long as you're not trying to shoot large flake with it. I got the order into the warehouse today so it may arrive at the same time as the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    You should be ok as long as you're not trying to shoot large flake with it. I got the order into the warehouse today so it may arrive at the same time as the gun.
    Thanks Len, as I don't shoot large flake I am hoping the 1.2XL will allow me to slow down the application and build of mid coat when shooting a tri-coat finish. I have been experimenting with the inter-coat by adding addition pearl, both with and without pigment, using my Sata 4000b rp (1.3). In a few weeks I will be doing a total spray on a 33' Chevrolet Eagle resto-mod and ordered this gun specific for that build. My plan is to finish up the CC using my Sata 4000b rp. Thank you again for all your help with this order, I didn't mean too be a pain!

Len,
    In another thread (http://autobodystore.com/forum/showt...07-sagola-4500) you mentioned you used the same tip size for everything... what tip size was that?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by fj5gtx View Post
    Len,
    In another thread (http://autobodystore.com/forum/showt...07-sagola-4500) you mentioned you used the same tip size for everything... what tip size was that?

Thanks!
    Actually I think Len stated he used the same cap for everything. In this instance he was referring to the clear cap as opposed to the hvlp cap. Is this cvorrect Len?

Actually I think Len stated he used the same cap for everything. In this instance he was referring to the clear cap as opposed to the hvlp cap. Is this cvorrect Len?
    Yes, I'm using the 4600 w/1.3XL tip and Clear Coat air cap.

Quote Originally Posted by baubau View Post
    Regarding Sata....

The nomenclature may say 1.3 but the fluid size openings differ on Satas they tend to run bigger...

On my Sata 5000 s, both ro and hvlp in 1.3, they are noticeably bigger than Sagolq 1.3, I mean, rp is almost like 1.5 and hvlp is like 1.4 in devvilbiss or sagola probably..

So you really don't need 1.3 xl tip unless u plan on doing a some heavy heavy Metallica or a lot of complete paint jobs with clear where you want to load it up and 1.3xl is superb for that..
    I ended up ordering the gun, a 3M PPS #32 adapter and several tips, 1.2xl, 1.3 and just today order the 1.3xl tip/cap. On a few videos I noticed the distance to panel was around 4 inches, that is my sweet spot. What is your take on the finish out when comparing a cc spray out using your Sata 5000 rp compared to the 4600 Xtreme with a 1.3xl tip (clear coat only). I like shooting clears fast and heavy but would like your comparison on how flat they lay.

Default Shooting clear with the 4600 Sagola

Unfortunately the 33' Confederate coupe paint job had too be delayed due to drivetrain problems. So I dug some parts out of storage for another build and will be shooting them tonight. This is another fat fender build in which I'll be shooting all the fenders, running boards and the 4 part hood in a tri-coat. I spend a couple hours building fender stands which are now ready to go. I build my own adjustable fender stands from 1/2" and 3/8" rebar. I can build a set of these fender stands in about an hour for about 8 or 9 dollars and simply cut them up and throw away when I'm finished (if anybody wants them when I'm done you are welcome to have them as I throw them away after each build).

As this is going to be my first shot with the Sagola 4600 it would be nice to know what too expect for the CC. I have 2 urethane caps (hvlp and clear) and 3 tip sizes, 1.2xl, 1.3 and 1.3xl. My plan is to shoot all products utilizing the clear cap only. I am most concerned with the CC set up. I am used to shooting CC with my Sata 4000 rp 1.3, a fast gun and it lays like glass (really fast gun). As I want to give this Sagola a good comparison, what tip size would you recommend for a HS clear? My thinking is the 1.3, even though I'm thinking it would be a slower shot when compared to the Sata 4000 rp (really hoses the clear on), slower is just fine as long as I can get it too lay glass. Here is a list of products I'll be shooting with:

Sealer: PPG DAS3025 and DAS3027 mixed for a gray scale of G6
    BC: PPG Deltron DBC2000
    Mid coat: PPG DBC500 pearl and pigment
    CC: PPG DCU2021
    Attached Images Attached Images

The larger the tip the faster you can go but I think you're right, go with the 1.3 and the clear cap first to get a feel for the gun and switch to the 1.3XL if you want to move a little faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    The larger the tip the faster you can go but I think you're right, go with the 1.3 and the clear cap first to get a feel for the gun and switch to the 1.3XL if you want to move a little faster.
    Perfect Len, thanks

Default Hmmmmm....

Perfect Len, thanks
    I see you're getting CLOSER!

Henry