TheCoatingStore.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 4600 Sagola Xtreme

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    S-C,

I applied 2 coats of metallic base using the 1.3 tip at about 5-6" DTP, followed by a final bc drop (fast and furious, again w/1.3 tip) at about 8-10" from surface to evenly disperse the metallic over the panels. Drop coat helps ensure I don't leave any tiger stripping on the panel I might miss in the booth as well as makes the metallic evenly dispersed and pop. This was followed by 2 medium coat applications of inter coat using PPG DBC500 cut in clear which is nothing more than a base pigmented, non-metallic, cc with pearl mixed in using a 1.2xl tip (1.3 tip would have been just fine). Finally, 3 coats of PPG DCU 2021 cc was applied using the 1.3xl tip and clear cap.

I always use hardner in all materials when shooting a tri coat. I mix 5% RTS catalyst for base and mid coats and finish with cc mixed at the recommended ratio according to the TDS. While the hardner is not required for base and mid coat, I prefer to use it.
    Thanks Ronf,

I always appreciate when people give detailed info on how they did something and why.

Your work looks great, thanks again for sharing!

dig the shop pics too, i'm jealous. like that old fridge by the bandsaw (i think it's a saw anyway, only seeing the one end). i used to have an old kelvinator i shot patterns on before painting till i finally gave it a proper paint job. i bet that fridge is still running.
    b marler

Default Thank Marler!

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    dig the shop pics too, i'm jealous. like that old fridge by the bandsaw (i think it's a saw anyway, only seeing the one end). i used to have an old kelvinator i shot patterns on before painting till i finally gave it a proper paint job. i bet that fridge is still running.
    Thanks my friend! Here is some info on the fridge I think you'll appreciate. It is a 1939 Leonard fridge that was manufactured by AMC corp. (American Motors Corp.) Yes, the same AMC that made cars for years. I restored the finish prior to it going into the shop. It works absolutely perfect. I should have figured you would notice it and yes that is a true metal cutting, 3 ph., band saw. The one piece of equipment I could not do without.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ronf; 12-31-2020 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    There are certain people and projects worth following ALL THE WAY.

(One of those is YOU!!!)

I find it funny that this is not only some internet site but a genuine "FAMILY" who actually CARES for one another! And ALL that prep work, all those tons of countless hours, lots of money spent, for the sake of PULLING THE TRIGGER! That's what you call HUGE! Good luck going forward.

(Make me think of "kevin in Ohio" (sort of a 'Mascot' here!)

Henry
    Damn henry I love your post, it's always nice to share with those that understand what it takes before the trigger is pulled (plus I can get some great advise). Great family and friends here, thanks my friend for the compliments!