TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Had to stop for tonight

Default Had to stop for tonight

Have not painted in years and I made some errors to night. Decided to stop for now. Most of the errors I figured out and will pick it back up in the morning. I am on the base coat now. Did about 1.5 coats before I stopped for a variety of reasons. I'm spraying nason BC and it's a metalic color. Noticed some mild "tiger stripe" lines. I've have not sprayed a metallic color before, but seem to remember some of this when I sprayed years ago. Is this ok? Will the CC clear it up? I'm using the 4500 xtreme digital gun pretty much all open at 29 w/ trigger pulled, about 5-6" away

Default NO!

Quote Originally Posted by mike111 View Post
    Have not painted in years and I made some errors to night. Decided to stop for now. Most of the errors I figured out and will pick it back up in the morning. I am on the base coat now. Did about 1.5 coats before I stopped for a variety of reasons. I'm spraying nason BC and it's a metalic color. Noticed some mild "tiger stripe" lines. I've have not sprayed a metallic color before, but seem to remember some of this when I sprayed years ago. Is this ok? Will the CC clear it up? I'm using the 4500 xtreme digital gun pretty much all open at 29 w/ trigger pulled, about 5-6" away
    Clear coat is as the name implies. It is CLEAR - see through!

You spraying with the fan wide open? If anything, the clear will magnify the effect of any striping. How much are you overlapping and my thought is you're too close. I'm not sure about the 29lbs for that gun but others will chime in.

Hang in there as you'll get it.

Henry

Hi Henry. I remember you from many years ago. You answers were always helpful. Fan is open, maybe 1/4 turn back in. fluid open too . Overlap is about 50% I'd say. Maybe I'm too close to surface. Maybe too far. Maybe overlap is too much or maybe it's not enough.

Tomorrow put base coat in the gun and try this. First, donít overlap, you have more than enough color on the car. You can spray just enough to hide the tiger stripes that happened because the wet paint got too thick and the metallic had time to sink away from the surface. I donít overlap base. I spray kind of fast and wild getting everything covered a little but not enough that you canít see the primer under the base on the first coat. Second coat I do the same thing and usually have complete hiding of the primer. In your case you are going to hide the tiger stripes. The solvent in the next coat you put on will try to dissolve the base thatís already on so keep the two coats thin. Give it a try on a hood or trunk lid. Donít do the whole car at one time but just a small area to get the hang of it. Just remember you donít want it to look done with one coat. Iíve been doing it that way for the last 22 years. My first car went the way yours did. I put too much paint on each coat and convinced myself I had to overlap more because I was seeing the light areas of the stripe as not enough paint when actually the dark areas were too much paint. Do the 50% overlap with single stage without metallic or clear coat but not base coat. If you still want to do 50% overlap with the base coat pull the gun further away and move it a lot faster.

Bob K

Default Hmmmmmm.....

Hi Henry. I remember you from many years ago. You answers were always helpful. Fan is open, maybe 1/4 turn back in. fluid open too . Overlap is about 50% I'd say. Maybe I'm too close to surface. Maybe too far. Maybe overlap is too much or maybe it's not enough.
    Thank you. You know what, I just came back to this and saw what Bob K posted and as usual he's right. However, what I said before him was because I was assuming you JUST STARTED the paintjob, got striping and stopped. Bob is correct in that if you nearly completed or did complete the paintjob, lean to what he said.

See, you have the courtside advantage. You can SEE what's going on where we are taking what you say and applying to what we've done.

Let us know where you are on the job and keep all variables in mind plus the ones no one thinks of. (OH Lord, why so many variables!) Keep us posted and keep the faith.

Henry

Great. Thanks Bob and Henry. I have a plan now! I will post what happens...hopefully something good. Good ideas.

Default Hmmmmmm.....

Great. Thanks Bob and Henry. I have a plan now! I will post what happens...hopefully something good. Good ideas.
    But I'm still wonder where you were on this paintjob. At the completion of the base, just staring and what section got the striping or more sections?

My thoughts are too close, but...

Henry

Like henry I'm curious of what 1-1/2 coats mean and location of where the tiger striping occurred (see this prominently on hoods and trunk lids). Also, what color metallic are you shooting, maybe a silver? You always have the option of a drop coat to alleviate the striping. I've not shot with either of the 4500 or 4600 (I own and have shot with a 4400 xtreme a few times, not sure the difference) but know them too be really good guns. Keep us posted and if possible post pics as it makes it easier to identify problems.

Well, I had to stop because I noticed that I was getting flaking coming off the plastic (the sealer which was reduced epoxy). I used auto paint plastic, and used the correct side..but it must have been crappy stuff I got on amazon. I need to redo that with paper. Working on it now. What about hitting this with a grey pad, clean, tack after I get it done? It is a silver/grey metalic, yes

Well, I had to stop because I noticed that I was getting flaking coming off the plastic (the sealer which was reduced epoxy). I used auto paint plastic, and used the correct side..but it must have been crappy stuff I got on amazon. I need to redo that with paper. Working on it now. What about hitting this with a grey pad, clean, tack after I get it done? It is a silver/grey metalic, yes
    Painting on plastic? Use adhesion promoter first.

It was the plastic I used to cover the windows. not sure i was clear on that

some of issue may have been my aircap was clogged. took me longer than it should have to figure it out

20201122_115539.jpg20201122_112051.jpg20201122_112030.jpg20201122_112021.jpg

some of issue may have been my aircap was clogged. took me longer than it should have to figure it out

You're spraying the paint on too heavy. Silver metallic can be a bitch even for pro painters. Hold the gun a little further back and move the gun faster. You will probably have to do a mist coat to totally even out the flakes (same as anyone would have to do with that color).

Phil is right, the paint is going to too heavily and the type of paint is probably part of the problem. Some paint tends to stripe more easily than others and you have one of them. Spray with the fan wide open and don't worry about gloss when spraying your base, back off and apply light coats. That gun can do a great job, I used it for a couple years and loved it.

Your gun is cleaned well and you are running a full fan pattern correct? This almost looks like streamers on the outside fan pattern due too either low pressure or too much product, in other words you may not be getting an optimal and/or even full pattern spray out. If you haven't already, I would shoot a wall board test pattern to ensure my gun settings are correct and getting the correct pattern. Silver is a tough metallic too shoot, it is the reason I asked.
    If this were mine I would ensure my gun is clean and atomizing properly, shoot a wall board test pattern for proper fan application (may need to play with inlet pressure), double check paint to reducer is mixed at the correct ratio. At this stage (after ensuring gun is clean and properly adjusted) I would be really tempted to shoot a drop coat and check results, you may need to actually shoot 2 drop coats to clean this up.