TheCoatingStore.com

Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: Had to stop for tonight

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    146

    Default Had to stop for tonight

    Have not painted in years and I made some errors to night. Decided to stop for now. Most of the errors I figured out and will pick it back up in the morning. I am on the base coat now. Did about 1.5 coats before I stopped for a variety of reasons. I'm spraying nason BC and it's a metalic color. Noticed some mild "tiger stripe" lines. I've have not sprayed a metallic color before, but seem to remember some of this when I sprayed years ago. Is this ok? Will the CC clear it up? I'm using the 4500 xtreme digital gun pretty much all open at 29 w/ trigger pulled, about 5-6" away

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    17,745

    Default NO!

    Quote Originally Posted by mike111 View Post
    Have not painted in years and I made some errors to night. Decided to stop for now. Most of the errors I figured out and will pick it back up in the morning. I am on the base coat now. Did about 1.5 coats before I stopped for a variety of reasons. I'm spraying nason BC and it's a metalic color. Noticed some mild "tiger stripe" lines. I've have not sprayed a metallic color before, but seem to remember some of this when I sprayed years ago. Is this ok? Will the CC clear it up? I'm using the 4500 xtreme digital gun pretty much all open at 29 w/ trigger pulled, about 5-6" away
    Clear coat is as the name implies. It is CLEAR - see through!

    You spraying with the fan wide open? If anything, the clear will magnify the effect of any striping. How much are you overlapping and my thought is you're too close. I'm not sure about the 29lbs for that gun but others will chime in.

    Hang in there as you'll get it.

    Henry

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    146

    Default

    Hi Henry. I remember you from many years ago. You answers were always helpful. Fan is open, maybe 1/4 turn back in. fluid open too . Overlap is about 50% I'd say. Maybe I'm too close to surface. Maybe too far. Maybe overlap is too much or maybe it's not enough.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,118

    Default

    Tomorrow put base coat in the gun and try this. First, donít overlap, you have more than enough color on the car. You can spray just enough to hide the tiger stripes that happened because the wet paint got too thick and the metallic had time to sink away from the surface. I donít overlap base. I spray kind of fast and wild getting everything covered a little but not enough that you canít see the primer under the base on the first coat. Second coat I do the same thing and usually have complete hiding of the primer. In your case you are going to hide the tiger stripes. The solvent in the next coat you put on will try to dissolve the base thatís already on so keep the two coats thin. Give it a try on a hood or trunk lid. Donít do the whole car at one time but just a small area to get the hang of it. Just remember you donít want it to look done with one coat. Iíve been doing it that way for the last 22 years. My first car went the way yours did. I put too much paint on each coat and convinced myself I had to overlap more because I was seeing the light areas of the stripe as not enough paint when actually the dark areas were too much paint. Do the 50% overlap with single stage without metallic or clear coat but not base coat. If you still want to do 50% overlap with the base coat pull the gun further away and move it a lot faster.

    Bob K

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    17,745

    Default Hmmmmmm.....

    Quote Originally Posted by mike111 View Post
    Hi Henry. I remember you from many years ago. You answers were always helpful. Fan is open, maybe 1/4 turn back in. fluid open too . Overlap is about 50% I'd say. Maybe I'm too close to surface. Maybe too far. Maybe overlap is too much or maybe it's not enough.
    Thank you. You know what, I just came back to this and saw what Bob K posted and as usual he's right. However, what I said before him was because I was assuming you JUST STARTED the paintjob, got striping and stopped. Bob is correct in that if you nearly completed or did complete the paintjob, lean to what he said.

    See, you have the courtside advantage. You can SEE what's going on where we are taking what you say and applying to what we've done.

    Let us know where you are on the job and keep all variables in mind plus the ones no one thinks of. (OH Lord, why so many variables!) Keep us posted and keep the faith.

    Henry

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    146

    Default

    Great. Thanks Bob and Henry. I have a plan now! I will post what happens...hopefully something good. Good ideas.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    17,745

    Default Hmmmmmm.....

    Quote Originally Posted by mike111 View Post
    Great. Thanks Bob and Henry. I have a plan now! I will post what happens...hopefully something good. Good ideas.
    But I'm still wonder where you were on this paintjob. At the completion of the base, just staring and what section got the striping or more sections?

    My thoughts are too close, but...

    Henry

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •