Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Sanding with Scotch Brite pad

Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Sanding with Scotch Brite pad

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    723

    Default Sanding with Scotch Brite pad

    I have a few lower engine bay pan/cover pieces to prep for bc/cc. The parts are sitting in epoxy primer. I would normally just hit them with either the grey or maroon Scotch brite pads prior to bc/cc. I needed to reorder and came across 3M 8447 Scotch-Brite for paint prep and am thinking to give them a try, anybody tried these? While they are suppose to be long lasting and made for paint prep they seem course.

    https://www.amazon.com/3M-8447-Scotc.../dp/B0046VOSVG
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    43,442

    Default

    I did a search of my supplying warehouses who carry millions of dollars worth of 3M products and none of them carry that pad. I looked them up on Ebay and Amazon and they both have them but I have no experience with them.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    olympia,wa
    Posts
    1,273

    Default

    never seen those before. look like a looser construction so it doesn't load up? didn't see what grit it's supposed to represent. let us know how they work out.
    b marler

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    olympia,wa
    Posts
    1,273

    Default

    wow, i did a cursory search for that pad and now i see there's a ton of different products that look pretty interesting. 3m cubitron sandpaper uses silicon carbide grit and i use it a lot for it's durability. i didn't know they made cubitron scuff pads too.

    https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Brite-...0YCTWS04QQP23W

    saw them on amazon. you list those in the store too len? i always prefer to buy from friends. btw, i'm going to order another gallon of picklex today.
    b marler

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    wow, i did a cursory search for that pad and now i see there's a ton of different products that look pretty interesting. 3m cubitron sandpaper uses silicon carbide grit and i use it a lot for it's durability. i didn't know they made cubitron scuff pads too.

    https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Brite-...0YCTWS04QQP23W

    saw them on amazon. you list those in the store too len? i always prefer to buy from friends. btw, i'm going to order another gallon of picklex today.
    Yeah, I was hoping to get them from Len also. I'll try them and if they are an improvement maybe Lens supplier will carry them sometime down the road where we can get them from him.

    Whoa, I didn't know the scoth-brite came in a roll! I really love that idea.

  6. #6

  7. #7

    Default

    I used to use 3M but once I tried these from Mirka (MIRLON TOTAL)
    I'll never go back. These pads are awsome.

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/MIRKA-18-11...kAAOSwi6dcUfg-

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JCCLARK View Post
    I used to use 3M but once I tried these from Mirka (MIRLON TOTAL)
    I'll never go back. These pads are awsome.


    https://www.ebay.com/itm/MIRKA-18-11...kAAOSwi6dcUfg-
    I agree, I have used Mirka pads in the past, just takes quite a bit longer for me to receive them.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    I agree, I have used Mirka pads in the past, just takes quite a bit longer for me to receive them.
    Most people shy away from them because they are thinner than the others,
    but they shape easier and definitely cut faster.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Northwestern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    I have a few lower engine bay pan/cover pieces to prep for bc/cc. The parts are sitting in epoxy primer. I would normally just hit them with either the grey or maroon Scotch brite pads prior to bc/cc. I needed to reorder and came across 3M 8447 Scotch-Brite for paint prep and am thinking to give them a try, anybody tried these? While they are suppose to be long lasting and made for paint prep they seem course.

    https://www.amazon.com/3M-8447-Scotc.../dp/B0046VOSVG

    I have used the 3m 8447 pads for years. They work great.

    --
    Gordon

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    43,442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fixdent View Post
    I have used the 3m 8447 pads for years. They work great.

    --
    Gordon
    Are the 8447 pads more or less aggressive than the 7447 red pads?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Are the 8447 pads more or less aggressive than the 7447 red pads?
    I've only had the 8447's about a week and have only used them on a set of lower engine bay panels, however they seem to have the same cut as the 7447's, so yes they are aggressive but thicker in comparison. They also make a great backing pad for both wet and dry final sanding with 600g paper.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •