TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: how much paint to mix?

Default how much paint to mix?

So I've been painting on and off for a long while. I always seem to struggle with mixing the right amount of paint. Sometimes I'm tossing a decent amount of paint in the trash. Unfortunately just the other day I scuffed and painted a trailer tongue box - and ran out of paint on the last coat, last side, on the top of the unit of all places.

Realize I should have sequenced so I'd finish the back or somewhere less conspicuous.... But what I'd really like to do is get better estimating how much I should be mixing on any job... I know most TDS report sqft/gal @ 100% transfer. For those that have mastered mixing the right amount consistently, are you actually measuring and calculating the area of what you have to paint and then dividing it out based on their sqft/gal spec? What transfer efficiency are you using? Or, other guidance/tricks?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by fj5gtx View Post
    So I've been painting on and off for a long while. I always seem to struggle with mixing the right amount of paint. Sometimes I'm tossing a decent amount of paint in the trash. Unfortunately just the other day I scuffed and painted a trailer tongue box - and ran out of paint on the last coat, last side, on the top of the unit of all places.

Realize I should have sequenced so I'd finish the back or somewhere less conspicuous.... But what I'd really like to do is get better estimating how much I should be mixing on any job... I know most TDS report sqft/gal @ 100% transfer. For those that have mastered mixing the right amount consistently, are you actually measuring and calculating the area of what you have to paint and then dividing it out based on their sqft/gal spec? What transfer efficiency are you using? Or, other guidance/tricks?

Thanks!
    Amount can vary depending on how well the paint covers and the transfer efficiency of your gun. I always try to mix slightly more than I will need but basically it's a guess because, in most cases, you're spraying different surfaces that can take different amounts of paint.

When using the same product line over and over you get a "feel" for how much product you will need to mix. When I shoot products I am not familiar with I go on my standard amount to mix, however on this unknown product I leave the last cup measured out in 2 separate containers of paint or clear product and reducer ready to mix if I come up short, with a third cup marked for hardner but not yet poured (I don't pour hardner back into original container once it leaves container). If I come up short it is an easy task to quickly mix up the last of product needed to finish and pour the rest back into the container having never been mixed. I go on a 60-70% transfer rate.

I usually use 1 oz of mixed/reduced paint per square foot of surface.
    That usually gets me about 3 coats on a flat surface.

I add a little more for poor hiding colors or non flat shapes like bumpers
    that have openings and ledges.

Spray with your gun set up and keep track of how much paint you use
    and estimate the surface area, you'll soon get a good guess on it.

Thanks, all good points - I'll keep them in mind next go around.