TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fish Eyes

Default Fish Eyes

Recently repainted my hardtop BC and CC. Noticed 3 or 4 fisheyes(small popped blisters). Will these come out when I cut and buff or is there another solution. I know you can add CC but I'm dry already. I also managed to ding the paint, I assume I can use some touch up paint and buff it out. Thanks Vince

Just dab it in with clear and let it dry then block it.

And post pics.

Well ....my next question. Do I have to activate the clear with such a small amount or just use the clear out a the can? Same question w BC if I'm doing some touching up. Thanks V

Quote Originally Posted by Vza View Post
    Well ....my next question. Do I have to activate the clear with such a small amount or just use the clear out a the can? Same question w BC if I'm doing some touching up. Thanks V
    Yes it must be activated.

i either use an eye dropper or a small round stick and just count the drops to get the ratio. super easy to mix a tiny amount.
    b marler

OK....makes sense...3:1 ratio would be 3 drops to 1 drop. Do I sand the fish eye then dab CC ?

OK....makes sense...3:1 ratio would be 3 drops to 1 drop. Do I sand the fish eye then dab CC ?
    I usually scuff the low spots then apply enough clear so that it slightly extends onto the level clear. I normally allow it to harden for a couple days. If I have more than one or two spots I'll put a piece of tape close to each one so I don't miss them when I come back to level and buff.

Here is what we use to scuff those small spots.

Default Yes...

If you don't add the catalyst to clear, it would never harden. Now, don't activate (catalyze) basecoat UNLESS directions say to. Most don't get catalyzed. Careful at this point. Keep us posted.

Henry

The base I was using does use an activator... Sherwin Williams 4th Dimension. So I would add that for touch up.

The base I was using does use an activator... Sherwin Williams 4th Dimension. So I would add that for touch up.
    You should add the proper activator/hardener for the clear. If the base takes the same hardener as the clear then use it but if the hardener in the base is different than the clear hardener make sure you use the proper product.
    Last edited by Len; 11-13-2020 at 12:26 PM.

Default Hmmmmmmm... ?

Please check that. I've used a TON of '4th Dimension' on repair of rental cars and the only thing added was URETHANE REDUCER 2:1. Could the reducer be what you mean? Interested to know what you find out so we both get enlightened. Thanks.

Henry

If he used reducer from the ULTRA 7000 RHF Series Stabilizers RHF65-RHF95 line, they all contain an integrated catalyst. That’s a hardener in my mind. Don't know that for sure because I don’t use that brand but it seems to do the same thing.

Bob K

OH boy...lets start from the beginning. How do you touch up using the BC and CC I used for the project. Both require an additive that are for 70 degree range (wether it be a reducer or catalyst ....not sure) both additives are specific to BC and CC. Thanks Vince

OH boy...lets start from the beginning. How do you touch up using the BC and CC I used for the project. Both require an additive that are for 70 degree range (wether it be a reducer or catalyst ....not sure) both additives are specific to BC and CC. Thanks Vince
    In most cases you shouldn't need base only clear. Did the fish eye cause you to see the primer in the spot?

My bad ...i got off topic. No.... fisheye didn't go to base. I dinged another spot(maybe my hose hit it) that did go to primer and need to touch it up.

So CC only for the fisheye. Now do you do the fisheye 1st before sanding the entire panel or sand the panel then fisheye repair.

I assume you fill the ding with base then fill with CC sand and buff. Add catalyst to whatever calls for it as if shooting normally.