TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Painting Hardtop

Default Painting Hardtop

I'm repainting boxster hardtop. How would I go about shooting the underside ...should I flip it and do underside first w 3 coats of base then do the outside...and repeat for CC. Or...leave it rightside up on a stand and squat low and shoot underside and continue with the outside. Hope you know what I'm trying to explain. There's an inside and outside....shoot as 1 job or treat it like 2 separate jobs? Also...there is what looks like cured liquid gasket where some Rubber molding I pulled off. I was just going to mask over it before shooting is that ok. This is in a place where paint is not visible after all is reassembled. Thanks v

Quote Originally Posted by Vza View Post
    I'm repainting boxster hardtop. How would I go about shooting the underside ...should I flip it and do underside first w 3 coats of base then do the outside...and repeat for CC. Or...leave it rightside up on a stand and squat low and shoot underside and continue with the outside. Hope you know what I'm trying to explain. There's an inside and outside....shoot as 1 job or treat it like 2 separate jobs? Also...there is what looks like cured liquid gasket where some Rubber molding I pulled off. I was just going to mask over it before shooting is that ok. This is in a place where paint is not visible after all is reassembled. Thanks v
    For best results I would probably treat the inside and outside a separate jobs, shoot the inside (base and clear), mask it off then shoot the outside. I'd need to see a picture of the seal before making a recommendation. We are working on a Rolls Royce that had a rubber windshield seal we removed then we removed the sealer under the rubber.

I wound up doing it as one job...it was fine. The trick with the line behind the rubber seal worked great. I wound up getting a little bit of tiger striping. Almost un-noticeable before CC. The real trick was catching falling leaves before they hit the wet BC and CC...missed one. All in all after some cut and buff I think it will look good. I do have a few fisheyes(I think...never had one before.)looks like a little bubble that popped. I read where you can drop some cc in it before the clear is dry and sand it out like a run but I think its too late for that. What else can you do to remove them? Any temp restrictions for cutting and buffing. Gona get cold here soon.

Thanks for all the tips and responses. V
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Vza; 11-09-2020 at 11:22 PM.