TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: How to repair bumper cover on a budget ?s.

Default How to repair bumper cover on a budget ?s.

Hello all,

Looking for some advice on repairing this bumper cover on a budget, there are two spots that need repaired, I will have to post the other spot later.
    I was thinking of using a plastic welder for the most part, using an old bumper cover for "Filler" material, then finish with autobody filler, prime, ect...

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by SStampede View Post
    Hello all,

Looking for some advice on repairing this bumper cover on a budget, there are two spots that need repaired, I will have to post the other spot later.
    I was thinking of using a plastic welder for the most part, using an old bumper cover for "Filler" material, then finish with autobody filler, prime, ect...

Thanks.
    I'd use a soldering gun and go from there..

You really need better pics..

About a month ago I bought an air welder from Harbor Freight for less than $60 and a soldering iron type heater with a triangular tip for another $15. I wasnít expecting much but I was pleasantly surprised. The only problem that came up was I couldnít turn the air pressure down enough on my big compressor. I have an old 2 hp compressor in the store room that I brought out. I had installed a little regulator on it long ago for an air brush and it had a line that I could drop down to 5 PSI. The air welder heats a bumper cover well and melts a rod into a ďVĒ groove that I had ground into a crack in the bumper cover I did my test on. The new weld didnít look very good out of the welder but that little 80 watt heater melted all the high spots and I could trowel out the melted plastic with the tip that comes on it. I use them together. Lay in a bead with the air heater and trowel out the weld with the little heater before anything cools down. Itís slow but I donít do much plastic welding so I can live with it. In my working years I welded a lot of polyethylene pipe so the learning curve wasnít hard. Iím just used to a little more speed but in those days I had $5000 dollars worth of welding equipment. The key is not to get the material too hot as it then carbons up and makes the joint weak. If the plastic starts smoking turn the heat down and just go a little slower.

You can do it with a soldering gun like style says but watch your heat. You can keep the gun cool enough by triggering it on and off but itís hard to heat a big enough area at one time to get a good weld but it can be done.

There are a lot of Poly parts on a car. I have some broken headlights that I now keep on hand so I can cut out a shape I need to weld into another part.

Bob K