TheCoatingStore.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chrome powder coating

Quote Originally Posted by fj5gtx View Post
    looks just like the alsa kit to me. not a durable finish all by itself. you need to clearcoat it if you want it to last. and the clear alters the appearance.
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    looks just like the alsa kit to me. not a durable finish all by itself. you need to clearcoat it if you want it to last. and the clear alters the appearance.
    What changes when clear is applied?

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    it changes to a more plastic look. not bad, but not the same as it looks with just the spray. i seem to remember it may change the tone too. it's been a while since i researched it, but i think i remember maybe adding some tint to the clear helped it look better.
    that finish certainly has it's place though, and i'd love to actually see it in person. that's why i asked if anyone had direct experience with it.
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    yeah, that about the same result i got. i was hoping the newer powders might be better. it makes a good silver color, but less than ideal if you want chrome.
    is your chrome shop pretty good? i have some non-replaceable items i need plated. i've been asking around for a recommendation but can't seem to get a good one.

I have been using "Concourse trim" for years and they are outstanding, if you contact them talk to Rebecca "info@concoursetrim.com" and tell her I sent you. Rebecca was the original owner until they sold out to Triple F auto restorations a few years back but Rebecca stayed on and is allowed to retain some of her older customers. I have also used Pauls Chronme out of PA if concourse was way behind. Both of these companies do great work. For 20 years I used a company out of Houston that were unbelievable but the original owner died and the business went to the dogs when the son took it over.

FYI and I'm sure you already know this, when most Chromers give you a date of completion you can just about double that time. These 2 Chrome shops are no different in that respect.However, the price they give will not change, these are good and honest folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Bmarler is correct with his description in that it retains a plastic appearance and falls way short of a chrome replacement. This is the only chrome powder I have ever used but learned enough to know it doesn't have the pop of a true triple dip chrome part (at least not yet). I've been hearing about the Alsa product/process for a few years but have yet to come across anybody that has actually tried it. My fear is the appearance or durability may not be up too par. I think when a true chrome substitute hits the market for both looks and durability it will become well known in the car resto community in short order.
    I've considered chroming small parts myself with a kit from Caswell Plating, it would be an interesting project, I just can't seem to find the time to give it proper attention.
    Last edited by Ronf; 11-09-2020 at 04:31 PM.