TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Primer from spray can ruin my base coat?

Default Primer from spray can ruin my base coat?

Ready for the noob question of the day? Getting ready to paint my micro car and I have the biggest noob question of the day for you all. I managed to find a paint booth that I can use for one day. So to save time Iím hoping I can spray, sand and fill at my house. Now, can I use traditional primer in a can? I know I have imperfections on my car yet but I canít see them. So I was hoping to prime with a spray can, sand and then refill imperfections until itís all filled. My question is if I use a traditional primer/filler out of a spray can will that make it harder for when I start spraying my base coat with an actual gun? Thanks In advance for dealing with my noob questions.

Nick

A spray can is not the best thing you can use.

That being said, there are epoxy primer spray cans that are two part. You pop a little button in, it breaks and mixes the two parts in the can and then you have 8 hours or so to use it. That is great for direct to metal.

Also there is UPOL High 5, it is a high build primer in a can. It sprays and sands nicely, and I was able to spray over it with simple single stage paint.

I'm sure the pros here will offer more and probably better info.

Quote Originally Posted by Houndogforever View Post
    A spray can is not the best thing you can use.

That being said, there are epoxy primer spray cans that are two part. You pop a little button in, it breaks and mixes the two parts in the can and then you have 8 hours or so to use it. That is great for direct to metal.

Also there is UPOL High 5, it is a high build primer in a can. It sprays and sands nicely, and I was able to spray over it with simple single stage paint.

I'm sure the pros here will offer more and probably better info.
    Thanks, I figured itís not the best. I think I may just see if he can let me in a bit early so I can mix up some primer. I appreciate the input!

There are some two part primers in aerosol cans but it might be a little expensive if you only have a small spot to do.