TheCoatingStore.com

Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: How to hide my engine bay work in the driveway so HOA doesn't send nasty grams?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    22

    Default How to hide my engine bay work in the driveway so HOA doesn't send nasty grams?

    I finally got my air compressor, thanks for all the advice here. 80 gallon 5HP coleman single stage entry-level unit that was on clearance.

    Plan to start painting my truck's engine bay in a few weeks.
    I'll be removing both left & right fenders, front radiator support area and hood.
    And paint those inside my garage.

    This will leave my truck out in the driveway without a nose.
    How can I "disguise" it to appease my HOA and local police?
    The police have aleady had one complaint about my truck, from when I had the wheels off for a few weeks.
    And registration is expired, so I'm a little worried about them wanting to tow the truck away.

    Just toss a blue tarp over the front chassis?
    Are there any better ideas that are still inexpensive?

    My truck does not follow routine shape. Think of a two-door mid-size truck with a camper on the back.
    So a universal truck cover won't work.
    I can get a custom cover made by Covercraft but their cheapest custom is $230.

    I work real slow, so the truck could very easily be like this for a couple months.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    43,047

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CZ Eddie View Post
    I finally got my air compressor, thanks for all the advice here. 80 gallon 5HP coleman single stage entry-level unit that was on clearance.

    Plan to start painting my truck's engine bay in a few weeks.
    I'll be removing both left & right fenders, front radiator support area and hood.
    And paint those inside my garage.

    This will leave my truck out in the driveway without a nose.
    How can I "disguise" it to appease my HOA and local police?
    The police have aleady had one complaint about my truck, from when I had the wheels off for a few weeks.
    And registration is expired, so I'm a little worried about them wanting to tow the truck away.

    Just toss a blue tarp over the front chassis?
    Are there any better ideas that are still inexpensive?

    My truck does not follow routine shape. Think of a two-door mid-size truck with a camper on the back.
    So a universal truck cover won't work.
    I can get a custom cover made by Covercraft but their cheapest custom is $230.

    I work real slow, so the truck could very easily be like this for a couple months.
    Covering it is a good idea but I don't know if that will stop problems with neighbors or cops. I don't know where you are but it's unusual to have the cops interfere when you're on private property. Can you get some help and push it to the back of the house where it's less obvious?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Unfortunately, there is no way to bring any vehicle into the back yard.
    It was a good idea though.

    Can't bring it into the garage either.

    The Police in my area really tightened up on ticky tack rules ever since the Covid19 lockdown.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    16,279

    Default $$$ Hmmmmm

    Quote Originally Posted by CZ Eddie View Post
    Unfortunately, there is no way to bring any vehicle into the back yard.
    It was a good idea though.

    Can't bring it into the garage either.

    The Police in my area really tightened up on ticky tack rules ever since the Covid19 lockdown.
    Is where you live a house, condo or apartment? I would NOT take the vehicle apart as you plan. For one thing, the COPS must look at where you live on their drivebys. Plus, all you need is one nut to smell the paint and you could/would be subject to TOW. Where is the property HOA manager?

    They don't want people working on vehicles because it makes ($$$) new prospective people NOT want to live there.

    I am attaching a video of an idiot I like to watch who TOWS from multiple properties. So, they charge for the tow and storage fees after 8 or 24 hours. Those who can't or don't pay get their vehicle AUCTIONED by the TOW CO. in 30 + days via lien. Seriously, reconsider taking the vehicle apart on that property. This can go very bad, very quickly. Here, have a look, most are simple tows but other are because they are being worked on and good luck:



    Henry

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,091

    Default

    It sounds like what you are planning to do is what the association rules were made to prevent. The way around it is to rent garage space near by and have your truck towed to the space, or get your painting done in one day and then push the truck in the garage. In my area you need to keep a vehicle that is parked outside on your property registered.

    Bob K

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    22

    Default

    I live in a house in a neighborhood. The HOA isn't super active.
    The tag is expired because there is no engine in it right now.
    The engine blew just before I was to renew the tags.
    I have a new engine, but will be painting before it goes in.
    This is going to happen and it's going to happen in my driveway.
    I was just hoping someone might have experience/know of ways to reduce neighbor frustration and potential visits from Police.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Northwestern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    263

    Default

    This is going to happen and it's going to happen in my driveway.
    Well, seems you have made up your mind, so you will find out the consequences, whether you will be allowed or not.

    Personally, I would not want people tearing cars apart in there driveways in my area either. If everybody did that, then it would look like a few towns that I drive throught (but would not stop).

    --
    Gordon

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    22

    Default

    To update this thread, I ended up buying the $250 custom-fit car cover.

  9. #9

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CZ Eddie View Post
    To update this thread, I ended up buying the $250 custom-fit car cover.
    I was going to mention the cover also. If it is an issue of being towed if it is not registered....just renew the tags if that is possible. That way (unless I am missing something), the most your HOA could do would be to fine you (??). I'd also try to make friends with the HOA President.... send him a bottle, girl, ect....one had washes the other. Bottom line (likely) the rules were already in place when you moved in--trust me, I feel I should be able to do just about anything legal on my property but HOA's feel different--city bylaws are similar I guess also.

  11. #11

    Default

    Get a real car cover. I think a tarp will actually draw more negative attention than no tarp. You can probably get a nice cover for about $50-75. Then I would use some 2x4s to mimic a fender/nose line.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •